States Should Flatly Reject ObamaCare Exchanges
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 31, 2012
Tweet this: http://bit.ly/KuJ9i5
Here are just a few reasons why states should refuse to create ObamaCare Exchanges.
Jobs. Refusing to create an exchange will block Obamacare from imposing a tax on employers whose health benefits do not meet the federal government's definition of "essential" coverage. That tax can run as high as $3,000 per employee. A state that refuses to create an exchange will spare its employers from that tax, and will therefore enable them to create more jobs.
Religious freedom. In blocking that employer tax, state officials would likewise block Obamacare's effort to force religious employers to provide coverage for services they find immoral — like contraception, pharmaceutical abortions, and sterilization.
The federal debt. Refusing to create exchanges would also reduce the federal debt, because it would prevent the Obama administration from doling out billions of dollars in subsidies to private insurance companies.
The U.S. Constitution. The Obama administration has indicated that it might try to tax employers and hand out those subsidies anyway — even in states that don't create an exchange, and even though neither Obamacare nor any other federal law gives it the power to do so. If that happens, the fact that a state has refused to create an exchange would give every large employer in the state — including the state government itself — the ability to go to court to block the administration's attempt to usurp Congress's legislative powers.
A lower state tax burden. States that opt to create an exchange can expect to pay anywhere from $10 million to $100 million per year to run it. But if states refuse, Obamacare says the federal government must pay to create one. Why should states pay for something that the federal government is giving away?
Bye-bye, Obamacare. That is, if the feds can create an exchange at all. The Obama administration has admitted it doesn't have the money — and good luck getting any such funding through the GOP-controlled House. Moreover, without state-run exchanges, the feds can't subsidize private insurance companies. That by itself could cause Obamacare to collapse.
Michael F. Cannon is the director of Health Policy Studies at the Cato Institute. Video Produced by Caleb O. Brown and Austin Bragg.
Standard YouTube License
- 11:26 The DHS has aquired state of the art weapons of mass distruction for use on the American publicby TheTruethSeekerFeatured 9,528
- 3:49 ObamaCare is RomneyCare 2.0by catoinstitutevideo 27,269 views
- 6:25 Another ObamaCare Fatal Flaw (Jonathan Adler)by catoinstitutevideo 5,736 views
- 25:02 The New Road to Serfdomby catoinstitutevideo 27,494 views
- 9:40 State of the Union 2012by catoinstitutevideo 127,651 views
- Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act 22,122 videos87
- 11:41 John Stossel - Defending The Undefendableby LibertyPen 6,952 views
- 52:50 Uncommon Knowledge: Thomas Sowell on the Vulgar Pride of Intellectualsby Pajamasmedia 44,999 views
- 2:52 Gene Simmons tells Obama he has no F_cking Idea.by ahphosting 1,053,104 views
- 36:42 Thomas Sowell -- Dismantling Americaby HooverInstitution 64,106 views
- 7:48 ObamaCare and the Road to Serfdom - Dr. Lee Hiebby aapsonline 7,815 views
- 10:30 John Stossel - Is Freedom Fair?by LibertyPen 4,295 views
- 7:08 Thomas Sowell - Obama's Visionby LibertyPen 193,802 views
- 3:37 Obamacare's Impact on Doctorsby HeritageFoundation 72,670 views
- 3:42 A sad night for MSNBC: Video montage of Wisconsin recall race coverageby Charlie Spiering 124,520 views
- 2:50 Judge Napolitano on Nullificationby Conza88 3,428 views
- 16:52 Yaron Brook, PhD - The immorality of government medicine.by aapsonline 3,000 views
- 4:32 The Difference Between Liberal and Conservativeby WideWorldOfWisdom 258,473 views
- 6:21 Jon Stewart Totally DESTROYS Obama Administration Over IRS Scandal | A MUST WATCHby JonXTalks1 102,251 views
- 57:51 Free to Choose Part 9: How to Cure Inflation Featuring Milton Friedmanby Common Sense Capitalism 38,705 views
- 4:37 Neurosurgeon calls Mark Levin about Obamacareby barry f 234,908 views
- Loading more suggestions...