in alamogordo, new mexico, on july 16, 1945
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Oct 25, 2006
we waited until the blast had passed, walked out of the shelter and then it was extremely solemn...
if the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky that would be like the splendor of the mighty one...
the optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds and the pessimist knows it.
-j. robert oppenheimer
we were lying there, very tense, in the early dawn, and there were just a few streaks of gold in the east; you could see your neighbor very dimly. those ten seconds were the longest ten seconds that i ever experienced.
suddenly, there was an enormous flash of light , the brightest light i have ever seen or that i think anyone has ever seen.
it blasted; it pounced; it bored its way right through you. it was a vision which was seen with more than the eye. it was seen to last forever. you would wish it to stop; altogether it lasted about two seconds.
finally it was over, diminishing, and we looked toward the place where the bomb had been; there was an enormous ball of fire which grew and grew and it rolled as it grew; it went up into the air,
in yellow flashes and into scarlet and green.
it looked menacing. it seemed to come toward one. a new thing had just been born...
at the instant of the explosion i was looking directly at it, with no eye protection of any kind...the grandeur and magnitude of the phenomenon were completely breath-taking.
we wore welder's glasses. the thing that got
me was not the flash but the blinding heat of
a bright day on your face in the cold desert morning. it was like opening a hot oven with the sun coming out like a sunrise.
je zt komm e , feu er !
il y a là c end re
asche, asche .
nach t .
nach t - und - nacht .
tu n' as rien vu à h iroshima .
r i e n .
j'ai tout vu.
for the gaze of music that leaves it behind, it is rounded to a sphere that can be overviewd, as in the meantime it has already been photographed from space , not the center of creation but something minute and ephemeral . to such experience is allied the melancholy hope for other stars, inhabited by happier beings than humans . but the earth that has grown remote to itself is without the hope the stars once promised . it is sinking into empty galaxies . on it lies beauty as the refrection of past hope , which fills the dying eye until it is frozen below the flakes of unbound space the moment of delight before such beauty dares to withstand its abandonment to disenchanted nature. that metaphysics is no longer possible becomes the ultimate metaphysics.
-theodor. w. adorno
hasel and gretel
are alive and well
and they're living in berlin
she is a cocktail waitress
he had a part in a fassbinder film
and they sit around at night now
drinking schnapps and gin
and she says : hansel, you're really bringing me down
and he says : gretel, you can really be a bitch he says : i' ve wasted my life on our stupid legend when my one and only love was the wicked witch.
she said : what is history ?
and he said : history is an angel being blown backwards into the future
he said : history is a pile of debris and the angel wants to
go back and fix things to repair the things
that have been broken
but there is a storm blowing from paradaise
and the storm keeps blowing the angel
backwards into the future ．
and this storm,
-laurie anderson(for walter benjamin)
staring at a bur ning fir e
isn't salv ation
sympathy f or the d evil
b la bla bl a bla bla bl a
isn't s altation
discovering t here is n o salvation
taken from "the atomic age" video collection.
oppenheimer's aria :: ryuichi sakamoto / reference : olivier messiaen / visual : shiro takatani (dumb type)
Standard YouTube License
- 1:16 First Milliseconds of Nuclear Bomb Test Fireballby Kanal von pfirsicheisenFeatured 361,012
- 1:28:58 The.Day.After.Trinityby holysnappingarsehole 5,120 views
- 11:39 Atomic Warfare in Ancient Indiaby Narsimhadev010 149,160 views
- 6:09 Albert Einstein chess game: Albert Einstein vs Robert Oppenheimerby MatoJelic 29,459 views
- 10:01 J. Robert Oppenheimer: Nuclear Conflict IIby potatoskinned 13,991 views
- 45:09 National Geographic:-Hiroshima Nuclear Apocalypseby Simon Peter 80,017 views
- 16 videos Play all J. Robert Oppenheimerby josephquattrocchi
- 1:57 First Soviet hydrogen bomb test (1953)by atomicarchive 3,096,389 views
- 2:21 Hiroshima Atomic Bomb, 1945 - A Day That Shook The World [HD]by britishpathe 941,174 views
- 1:04 Scientist J. Robert Oppenheimer speaks about atomic bombs at the Capitol Building in Washington, DCby Felonious Vendetta 7,009 views
- 56:12 The Moment in Time: The Manhattan Projectby UCtelevision 252,066 views
- 5:25 Oppenheimer: The Man Behind the Bomb -- A "Countdown to Zero" Exclusiveby takepart 436,445 views
- 6:21 First British nuclear bomb.by TheMilkMan69 721,198 views
- 1:39 Atomic Age - Dr J. Robert Oppenheimer Quoteby Qwerty95ktv 4,966 views
- 44:59 Mario Vargas Llosa en Oppenheimer Presentaby oppenheimerpresenta 9,863 views
- 1:20:01 The J. Robert Oppenheimer Lecture - Frank Wilczekby UCBerkeleyEvents 17,696 views
- 8:39 New Mexico 1940sby travelfilmarchive 21,195 views
- 0:39 Aerial view of an atomic bomb explosionby atomcentral 7,313,188 views
- 9:50 New Mexico Tornado Fest! TornadoVideos.net Chaselog Trailerby TornadoVideosdotnet 41,787 views
- 22:52 Atomic Weapons Tests Trinity Through Buster Jangle 1945 - 1951by nuclearvault 26,503 views
- 3:22 Trinity Test Site Tourby koolstrike 11,074 views
- Loading more suggestions...