Barack Obama & the DC School Voucher Program
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on May 4, 2009
"Barack Obama & the DC School Voucher Program: The president says he wants to do 'what's best for kids.' So why won't he save a proven program that helps low-income students?"
Mercedes Campbell is one of the 1,700 students in the Washington, D.C. Opportunity Scholarship Program, a school-voucher program authorized by Congress in 2004. The program gives students up to $7,500 to attend whatever school their parents choose. For kids like Mercedes, who now attends Georgetown Visitation Prep, the DC voucher program is a way out of one of the worst school districts in the country.
"It's different, now that I go to Visitation," says Mercedes. "I approach things differently. It's like a whole new world, basically."
The program is wildly popular with parents and children—there are four applicants for every available slot—and a recent Department of Education study found that participants do significantly better than their public school peers. Indeed, after three years in private schools, students who entered the program at its inception were 19 months ahead in reading of applicants unlucky enough to still be trapped in D.C.'s public schools.
Yet working with congressional Democrats and despite his pledge to put politics and ideology aside in education, the Obama administration has effectively killed the program through a backdoor legislative move. "[Education] Secretary [Arne] Duncan will use only one test in what ideas to support with your precious tax dollars," says the president. "It's not whether it's liberal or conservative, but whether it works."
That sort of doublespeak has left many Obama supporters not just puzzled but outraged. Certainly, Mercedes is. "Out of everything else they can shut down or everything else they can advocate for, they want to take this one thing away?" Adds her mother, Ingrid, "We voted for you, we walked, we went to the parade, we stood freezing. Why?...Can you get this tape over to Obama and have him answer our questions? Why, sir, why?"
That's the question that will be asked on Wednesday, May 6, from 1P.M. to 2P.M., at a D.C. rally to reauthorize the voucher program. For more details, go here.
"Barack Obama and the DC School Voucher Program" is approximately 5.30 minutes long and was produced by Dan Hayes and Nick Gillespie.
For iPod and HD versions, related links and materials, and more videos, go to http://reason.tv/video/show/777.html
Standard YouTube License
- 10:01 The Case for School Vouchersby LibertyPen17,613 views
- 7:06 CNN Watch: Steve Perry Wants School Vouchers, Tells Al Sharpton, "NAACP Is A Relic"by USArgos7,338 views
- 6:27 Voucher controversyby HooverInstitution2,143 views
- 6:31 The New Orleans School Voucher Programby ReasonTV12,058 views
- 4:10 Milton Friedman - Educational Vouchersby LibertyPen23,047 views
- 4:05 Milton Friedman - School Choiceby LibertyPen12,671 views
- 2:02 Save the D.C. Opportunity Scholarship Programby The Heritage Foundation28,093 views
- 5:38 Reason.tv and Drew Carey on 20/20 with John Stosselby ReasonTV30,333 views
- 196 videos Play all Reason.tv Documentaryby ReasonTV
- 2:45 Why we oppose private school vouchersby audotorg2,381 views
- 14:45 Estimating The Effects Of Private School Vouchers In Multi-Dby TepperCMU1,327 views
- 5:38 Inspired Bicycles - Danny MacAskill April 2009by inspiredbicycles33,873,930 views
- 7:21 School Vouchers are a Bad Ideaby XOmniverse2,640 views
- 3:01 What We Saw at the DC School Voucher Rallyby ReasonTV8,432 views
- 40:48 Stossel - The Rise of Libertarians? (2013)by futurebrain204515,987 views
- 6:17 All the President's Newsmenby ReasonTV11,266 views
- 1:50 FOX REPORT Juan Williams Outraged over Voucher Cuts in DCby wackymacky012,179 views
- 4:58 Economics 101: School Choice Example Shows Why Government Monopolies Are Badby CFPEcon10131,196 views
- 1:38 Obama Budget Cuts Visualizationby 10000Pennies1,744,372 views
- 41:00 Myths, Lies and Complete STUPIDITY!by cablenewsguy34,644 views