Barack Obama & the DC School Voucher Program
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on May 4, 2009
"Barack Obama & the DC School Voucher Program: The president says he wants to do 'what's best for kids.' So why won't he save a proven program that helps low-income students?"
Mercedes Campbell is one of the 1,700 students in the Washington, D.C. Opportunity Scholarship Program, a school-voucher program authorized by Congress in 2004. The program gives students up to $7,500 to attend whatever school their parents choose. For kids like Mercedes, who now attends Georgetown Visitation Prep, the DC voucher program is a way out of one of the worst school districts in the country.
"It's different, now that I go to Visitation," says Mercedes. "I approach things differently. It's like a whole new world, basically."
The program is wildly popular with parents and children—there are four applicants for every available slot—and a recent Department of Education study found that participants do significantly better than their public school peers. Indeed, after three years in private schools, students who entered the program at its inception were 19 months ahead in reading of applicants unlucky enough to still be trapped in D.C.'s public schools.
Yet working with congressional Democrats and despite his pledge to put politics and ideology aside in education, the Obama administration has effectively killed the program through a backdoor legislative move. "[Education] Secretary [Arne] Duncan will use only one test in what ideas to support with your precious tax dollars," says the president. "It's not whether it's liberal or conservative, but whether it works."
That sort of doublespeak has left many Obama supporters not just puzzled but outraged. Certainly, Mercedes is. "Out of everything else they can shut down or everything else they can advocate for, they want to take this one thing away?" Adds her mother, Ingrid, "We voted for you, we walked, we went to the parade, we stood freezing. Why?...Can you get this tape over to Obama and have him answer our questions? Why, sir, why?"
That's the question that will be asked on Wednesday, May 6, from 1P.M. to 2P.M., at a D.C. rally to reauthorize the voucher program. For more details, go here.
"Barack Obama and the DC School Voucher Program" is approximately 5.30 minutes long and was produced by Dan Hayes and Nick Gillespie.
For iPod and HD versions, related links and materials, and more videos, go to http://reason.tv/video/show/777.html
Standard YouTube License
- 1:53:40 The Obama Deception HQ Full length versionby ChangeDaChannelFeatured 12,915,892
- 45:52 Milton Friedman - Public Schools / Voucher Systemby Basic Economics 5,772 views
- 4:10 Milton Friedman - Educational Vouchersby LibertyPen 20,514 views
- 10:01 The Case for School Vouchersby LibertyPen 16,600 views
- 14:57 Milton Friedman - Public Schools / Voucher System (Q&A) Part 1by BasicEconomics 1,567 views
- 1:50 FOX REPORT Juan Williams Outraged over Voucher Cuts in DCby wackymacky01 2,155 views
- 11:47 Judge Jeanine "Fact Blasts" Hillary & Obama Administration on Benghazi Attack - 5-11-13by RightSightings 172,049 views
- 11:23 Judge Goes Nuclear On Obama: Why Do You Apologize To Muslims And Lie To Americansby BirtherReport.com 57,275 views
- 194 videos Play all Reason.tv Documentaryby ReasonTV
- 32:00 President Obama Delivers Morehouse College Commencement Addressby The White House 51,185 views
- 4:18 Real Time with Bill Maher (5-17-13) - Republicans Hard-on for Obamaby arboachg 31,555 views
- 3:35 Confusing Question of the Day - Obama, IRS, and Benghaziby Jimmy Kimmel Live 255,487 views
- 1:37 Barack Obama: Criminal or Incompetent????by drinkingwithbob 47,925 views
- 0:36 Obama Calls Over Marines to Shield Himself and Turkish PM from Rainby politicalturkey 152,738 views
- 3:30 Barack Obama vs Mitt Romney. Epic Rap Battles Of History Season 2.by Epic Rap Battles of History 66,812,029 views
- 0:32 Obama Calls In Marines For Cover From Rain Armed With Umbrellasby StandUpFor FreedomLiberty 43,760 views
- 3:35 Dan Pfeiffer: "Irrelevant Fact" Where Obama Was During Benghazi Attacksby GOPICYMI's channel 157,798 views
- 3:01 What We Saw at the DC School Voucher Rallyby ReasonTV 8,276 views
- 5:03 Public Vs Private Schools: Will Vouchers Destroy Public Education?by The Young Turks 27,832 views
- 2:45 Why we oppose private school vouchersby audotorg 2,149 views
- 13:05 Milton Friedman - Public Schools / Voucher System (Q&A) Part 2by BasicEconomics 1,123 views
- Loading more suggestions...