No respite for eurozone economy this year
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Feb 22, 2013
http://www.euronews.com/ There is no chance of a return to economic growth in the eurozone until next year.
That was the latest gloomy forecast from the European Commission on Friday as it reversed its prediction for an end to recession this year.
The recovery delay is being blamed on a lack of bank lending and record high joblessness.
The Economic Affairs Commissioner Olli Rehn said: "Ongoing rebalancing of the European economies is continuing to weight on growth in the short term. The current situation can be summarised like this - we have disappointing hard data from the end of last year, some more encouraging soft data in the recent past and growing investor confidence in the future."
The bloc's economy will shrink 0.3 percent this year with unemployment peaking at 12.2 percent of the workforce.
For 2014 the Commission sees 1.4 percent growth with the jobless total easing only slightly to 12.1 percent. Last year's jobless rate was 11.4 percent and the economy is estimated to have shrunk 0.6 percent.
Brussels said the situation with the labour market is "a serious concern" as there will be more than 19 million people out of work this year in the 17 countries that make up the eurozone.
The European Central Bank's promise last year to do what it takes to defend its common currency has removed the risk of a break-up of the euro zone, and member countries' borrowing costs have come down from unsustainable levels.
But the damage from the 2008/2009 global financial crisis and the ensuing euro zone debt crisis has been greater than expected on the real economy, with global demand for euro zone exports one of the few saviours in terms of generating growth.
The outlook raises the prospect of further interest rate cuts by the ECB to jump-start the economy by reducing the cost of lending for companies and families, although with banks reluctant to lend, any impact may be muted.
Find us on:
Standard YouTube License
- 1:01 UK stripped of AAA credit ratingby Euronews 5,591 views
- 0:55 Torrential rain floods Sicily and Athensby Euronews 1,826 views
- 1:20 IMF head calls for more stimulusby Euronews 535 views
- 0:41 Spain's 'tide of citizens' takes to the streetsby Euronews 1,051 views
- 59:02 The euro-zone crisis (documentary)by TwarzVids 14,769 views
- 24:27 'Europe on verge of economic Apartheid'by PressTVGlobalNews 2,559 views
- 5:04 Nigel Farage_ Eurozone completely incompatible with nation-state democracyby podshelter 900 views
- 2:41 "Germany is dominating Europe"by ukipwebmaster . 95,693 views
- 1:34:06 Davos 2013: Open Forum: War against Obesity -- Fat Invoice?by WorldEconomicForum 1,149 views
- 24:50 Inside Story - Will the eurozone collapse?by AlJazeeraEnglish 4,781 views
- 4:43 Last chance for Italy?by FinancialTimesVideos 1,400 views
- 32:59 Build up to WW3 - Currency Wars, Trade Wars, World Wars. Gerald Celenteby 829speedy 2,131 views
- 4:36 Get ready for euro zone break-up - Faberby ReutersVideo 10,571 views
- 1:27:39 Davos 2013 - Open Forum: Eurozone -- Solidarity or Domination?by WorldEconomicForum 852 views
- 2:33 Top 20 Countries with No economic growth in 2012by TheAs57 672 views
- 1:27:55 No Eurozone Without a Eurodividend / Keine Eurozone ohne eine Eurodividende (BIEN2012)by Netzwerk Grundeinkommen 37 views
- 15:22 Sequester: Republicans are Stalling The U.S. Economy on Purposeby politicalarticles 246 views
- 2:44 Comedian Jackie Carlton | Talking backstage | Manchester 1970s.by MrLajavanaise 313 views
- 22:13 Analysis: Eurozone's Deepening Debt Crisisby AllDunyaNews 876 views
- 5:10 Ex-chancellor Norman Lamont on Eurozone + UK economy (20Mar13)by liarpoliticians 553 views
- Loading more suggestions...