Building Megaobjects in Minecraft
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Sep 27, 2010
This is the beginning framework of the Enterprise - D in Minecraft
I didn't think this would go viral so quickly! It's not even done and on top of that, the Minecraft servers are down so I can't put it up...
Some quick answers to some questions. Thanks for all the warm kudos. I'll take some time to tell you guys about how I made the ship and what my plans are for it.
I've always wanted to make a 1:1 scale model of the Enterprise-D. Even when I was a kid, I thought how cool it would be to build the ship and live in it. One project I embarked on about a year ago was to build a 1:1 scale model of the enterprise in Sketchup. I got pretty far too.
Sadly, my hard drive blew and I lost six months of work. The only thing I had was my original framework and It was just too painful to start over. One of the things that was not lost was the deck plans and a nice computer-friendly vector format, converted from the Whitefire plans (Not the Okuda ones). The plans are pretty rough, but workable. One day I need to go through and clean them up.
The Minecraft world uses 1m^3 blocks, ans so, I simply converted my already scaled plans into a format that minecraft could take and imported each deck in batch, leaving 4 spaces in between for walls
The original Enterprise is 642.5 Meters x 467.0 Meters x 137.5 Meters. This is about 3m per deck. Sadly, with the 1m deck you have to walk on, that only leaves 2m left over for hallway space. As your character is only 1.7m tall, you will be bumping your head around a lot. I decided to make the ship 22% bigger, so I could have 4 m per deck. That puts the final size @ 785m x 570m x 168m. I made my "pit" 800x600x180 to fit all 42 decks and almost made a critical error. Even though there are 42 decks on the enterprise, the 2nd deck is split into two half-decks, making actually 43. I made the pit bigger than she ship so I could have a little wiggle room and just missed making it too shallow. In my testing, the halls can get a little cramped. The current decks are just a guideline and framework. They don't call it "Creative Mode" for nothing.
The halls are going to be sand-obsidian-sand (To give that light brown look with the black touch panel in the center) I'd show a demo, but Minecraft is down. I would like to mod my server so that sand doesn't fall. That would bee cool. I also don't know how to fly yet, will be making it much easier to work on the ship.
This is on a creative server. I would love to put it on Alpha, but Notch limits the game depth to 128m now, which is 40m too shallow. I'll lose 10 decks. Maybe I can convince him to up the limit to 256m with the project
There are still some things to work out.
1) I need to turn flying on. 2) I need to model and import the warp nacelles, just so I have the framework there. 3) I need to make a dirt floor so people can start building scaffolding from the bottom. (You can't plant blocks on Adminium) 4) I would live to get rid of the Admininum walls. 5) I should put this online so people can help. I need to come up with a pretty solid anti-griefing policy and need many like-minded people so I don't wind up with cocks in the shuttlebays.
My original sketchup project is here
Another project using the whitefire plans can be found here
Standard YouTube License
- 3:57 100% Undetectable Trap in Minecraftby sethbling Featured 2,024,824
- 11:44 Minecraft - Enterprise-D Episode 1.1by CerberusRCAF346,765 views
- 10:47 New Tour of the Minecraft Enterpriseby halnicholas739,400 views
- 16:44 Minecraft | EXTREME WEATHER! (Tornadoes, Giant Waves & More!) | Mod Showcaseby TheDiamondMinecart282,545 views
- SeaNanners 883 videos3M
- 5:04 Minecraft Unleashed: Best Creations Ever [HD Montage]by TheTechJoint2,938,577 views
- 37:43 Abducted by The Creeper Part 1by Pl4rk8,102,675 views
- 9:03 Minecraft - 18:1 Scale model of my houseby Capp002,806,923 views
- 16:04 Minecraft Nuclear Reactor Explosion Radius Testingby dreamreaver232,027,790 views
- 3:49 Cold deck: AA (Hellmuth) vs KK (Richey) vs AA (Shak)by EpicPokerMoments144,898 views
- 4:10 10 things you may not know about Minecraft | Episode 1.by LordMinning4,795,282 views
- 6:11 Lets Play Minecraft - 10,000 TNT Cityby TheHomicidalTendency9,122,595 views
- 2:38 #1 Minecraft Timelapse Volcanic Islandby TobiasPC5,783,037 views
- 23:45 Minecraft Xbox - Sinking Feeling by stampylonghead3,514,529 views
- 5:49 Minecraft: How to Create the USS Enterpriseby IGN141,106 views
- 6:14 The Bedrock Breakerby OneBlockShort4,629,502 views
- 4:31 Legally Make your own Gun. 80 Percent Lower.by Ares Armor1,343,517 views
- 5:16 [Minecraft Reviews] Mars Mod Reviewby mahmoodiraqi11,094,832 views
- 5:52 Minecraft Timelapse - Arabius Cityby Creolucis691,515 views
- 2:17 My Minecraft Minecart track FINISHEDby Kirkee20102,329,350 views