Program or Be Programmed by Douglas Rushkoff
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Oct 4, 2010
The debate over whether the Net is good or bad for us fills the airwaves and the blogosphere. But for all the heat of claim and counter-claim, the argument is essentially beside the point: it's here; it's everywhere. The real question is, do we direct technology, or do we let ourselves be directed by it and those who have mastered it? "Choose the former," writes Rushkoff, "and you gain access to the control panel of civilization. Choose the latter, and it could be the last real choice you get to make." In ten chapters, composed of ten "commands" accompanied by original illustrations from comic artist Leland Purvis, Rushkoff provides cyberenthusiasts and technophobes alike with the guidelines to navigate this new universe.
In this spirited, accessible poetics of new media, Rushkoff picks up where Marshall McLuhan left off, helping readers come to recognize programming as the new literacy of the digital age----and as a template through which to see beyond social conventions and power structures that have vexed us for centuries. This is a friendly little book with a big and actionable message.
World-renowned media theorist and counterculture figure Douglas Rushkoff is the originator of ideas such as "viral media," "social currency" and "screenagers." He has been at the forefront of digital society from its beginning, correctly predicting the rise of the net, the dotcom boom and bust, as well as the current financial crisis. He is a familiar voice on NPR, face on PBS, and writer in publications from Discover Magazine to the New York Times.
"Douglas Rushkoff is one of the great thinkers----and writers----of our time."
"Rushkoff is damn smart. As someone who understood the digital revolution faster and better than almost anyone, he shows how the internet is a social transformer that should change the way your business culture operates."
Standard YouTube License
- 26:58 Douglas Rushkoff on returning to religious core values.by AllanGreggFeatured 2,707
- 59:02 Keynote: Douglas Rushkoff on When Change is Always Onby SocialMediaWeek 3,417 views
- 1:11:41 Douglas Rushkoff - Program or Be Programmedby wwwhatsup 13,859 views
- 55:40 Authors@Google: Douglas Rushkoffby AtGoogleTalks 7,916 views
- 4:08 No More Facebook.movby oneplusmagazine 3,516 views
- 26 videos Play all Medium or Massageby EduardRiehl
- 10:00 TOC 2010 Douglas Rushkoff (Part 1/3)by bookfair1000 855 views
- 5:46 SXSW 2010: Program or be Programmed: Ten Commands for a Digital Ageby sxsw 52,480 views
- 15:15 TOC 2013: Douglas Rushkoff, "Present Shock"by OreillyMedia 5,662 views
- 4:59 Did You Know 3.0 (Officially updated for 2012) HDby VideoShredHead 1,082,084 views
- Douglas Rushkoff 186 videos7
- 19:21 Alain de Botton on atheism 2.0 and what secular ideologies can learn from religionby brainpickings 4,940 views
- 21:56 Economic Collapse Survivor - Marjory Wildcraft Interviews Rita Ojedaby Marjory Wildcraft 4,085 views
- 5:32 Douglas Rushkoffby roycecarltonchannel 1,582 views
- 15:46 Web 2.0 Expo NY 09: Douglas Rushkoff, "Radical Abundance: How We Get Past "Free"...by OreillyMedia 26,855 views
- 4:51 The Colbert Report 05/07/13 Douglas Rushkoff Interviewby TheUSComedy 186 views
- 2:13 Life Inc. Dispatch 01: Crisis as Opportunityby LifeIncTheMovie 3,992 views
- 2:07 Inspired by Rube Goldberg Machinesby dfhmotor 37,982 views
- 5:09 Top 5 - Open Source Utility Softwareby Nixie Pixel 49,128 views
- 54:13 Eisenhower and Churchill: The Partnership that Saved the Worldby Dan Harayda 176 views
- 4:21 Rich People Thingsby ORBooksChannel 2,754 views
- 5:52 Doug Rushkoff on the Internet We Haveby personaldemocracy 571 views
- Loading more suggestions...