Program or Be Programmed by Douglas Rushkoff
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Oct 4, 2010
The debate over whether the Net is good or bad for us fills the airwaves and the blogosphere. But for all the heat of claim and counter-claim, the argument is essentially beside the point: it's here; it's everywhere. The real question is, do we direct technology, or do we let ourselves be directed by it and those who have mastered it? "Choose the former," writes Rushkoff, "and you gain access to the control panel of civilization. Choose the latter, and it could be the last real choice you get to make." In ten chapters, composed of ten "commands" accompanied by original illustrations from comic artist Leland Purvis, Rushkoff provides cyberenthusiasts and technophobes alike with the guidelines to navigate this new universe.
In this spirited, accessible poetics of new media, Rushkoff picks up where Marshall McLuhan left off, helping readers come to recognize programming as the new literacy of the digital age----and as a template through which to see beyond social conventions and power structures that have vexed us for centuries. This is a friendly little book with a big and actionable message.
World-renowned media theorist and counterculture figure Douglas Rushkoff is the originator of ideas such as "viral media," "social currency" and "screenagers." He has been at the forefront of digital society from its beginning, correctly predicting the rise of the net, the dotcom boom and bust, as well as the current financial crisis. He is a familiar voice on NPR, face on PBS, and writer in publications from Discover Magazine to the New York Times.
"Douglas Rushkoff is one of the great thinkers----and writers----of our time."
"Rushkoff is damn smart. As someone who understood the digital revolution faster and better than almost anyone, he shows how the internet is a social transformer that should change the way your business culture operates."
Standard YouTube License
- 3:36 Restaurant or Lap-dancing Bar? - Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmaresby Kitchen Nightmares Featured 447,600
- 1:15:04 Douglas Rushkoff on Present Shock: When Everything Happens Nowby BerkmanCenter4,129 views
- 1:11:41 Douglas Rushkoff - Program or Be Programmedby Punkcast16,910 views
- 14:23 Marshall Mcluhan Full lecture: The medium is the message - 1977 part 1 v 3by mywebcowtube91,395 views
- 54:53 Douglas Rushkoff - Open Source Democracyby Punkcast14,846 views
- Douglas Rushkoff 233 videos22
- 9:59 Marshall McLuhan on the TODAY Showby Dr Fallon87,562 views
- 59:02 Keynote: Douglas Rushkoff on When Change is Always Onby SocialMediaWeek4,051 views
- 1:10:49 WebVisions New York 2013 - Douglas Rushkoffby drnormal1,578 views
- 6:48 Doug Rushkoff on the Ownership Societyby WNYC3,386 views
- 3:06 The United States vs. Private Chelsea Manningby OR Books1,958 views
- 59:10 SittingNow Radio: Programme or Be Programmed with Douglas Rushkoffby SittingNow293 views
- 20:59 Web2ExpoSF 09: Douglas Rushkoff, "How the Web Ate the Economy, and Why This Is Good for Everyone"by OreillyMedia4,457 views
- 43:33 Triangulation 105: Douglas Rushkoffby TWiTTriangulation471 views
- 14:39 "Gay Propaganda" Book Announcement, with Masha Gessenby OR Books147 views
- 25:35 Douglas Rushkoff: Present Shockby The Agenda with Steve Paikin614 views
- 19:21 Alain de Botton on atheism 2.0 and what secular ideologies can learn from religionby Maria Popova5,495 views
- 5:04 Douglas Rushkoff and the Terror of Modern Timeby TheNewYorkObserver16,808 views
- 6:09 Dangerous Minds w/ Richard Metzger Episode 2 Part 1by Richard Metzger6,078 views
- 4:59 Did You Know 3.0 (Officially updated for 2012) HDby VideoShredHead1,485,568 views