This video is unavailable.
Zbigniew Brzezinski Taliban Pakistan Afghanistan pep talk 1979
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 4, 2009
Trustee, Trilateral Commission; Director (1973-1976)
Director, Council on Foreign Relations (CFR) (1972 to 1977)
In 1979 Carters National Security Advisor, Zbigniew Brzezinski went into Pakistans border regions with Afghanistan to give a little pep talk to some prospective majehadeen (Holy Warriors).
In a 1997 interview for CNN's Cold War Series, Brzezinski hinted about the Carter Administration's proactive Afghanistan policy before the Soviet invasion in 1979, that he had conceived.
QUESTION: When the Soviets justified their intervention by asserting that they intended to fight against a secret involvement of the United States in Afghanistan, people didn't believe them. However, there was a basis of truth. You don't regret anything today?
Brzezinski: Regret what? That secret operation was an excellent idea. It had the effect of drawing the Russians into the Afghan trap and you want me to regret it? The day that the Soviets officially crossed the border, I wrote to President Carter: We now have the opportunity of giving to the USSR its Vietnam war. Indeed, for almost 10 years, Moscow had to carry on a war unsupportable by the government, a conflict that brought about the demoralization and finally the breakup of the Soviet empire.
In 1998, in an interview in Le Nouvel Observateur, Brzezinski dismissed the risks of blow back and defended his support of the mujahideen in the following terms: What is most important to the history of the world? The Taliban or the collapse of the Soviet Empire? Some stirred-up Moslems or the liberation of Central Europe and the end of the cold war?
These days, Brzezinski might take stirred-up Moslems more seriously.
If he ever republishes his The Grand Chessboard: American Primacy and its Geostrategic Imperatives, he and other American geostrategists may wish to reconsider the role of Muslims as something other than dispensable pawns.
Standard YouTube License
- 9:42 The Bad Guys (Zbigniew Brzezinski) Episode 102by ChangeDaChannelFeatured 24,245
- 1:00:37 A Conversation with Zbigniew Brzezinskiby cfr 8,242 views
- 46:52 Zbigniew Brzezinski on U.S.-China Relations: CHINA Town Hall 2011by TheNCUSCR 16,859 views
- 10:35 the geopolitical goals of the Anglo-American Empire in Afghanistan Pakistan Iranby marcchabotyt 45,446 views
- 0:42 Z. Brzeziński, czyli im groźniejszy kryzys, tym szybciej NWOby KsiazecyKucharz 8,440 views
- 57:13 Zbigniew Brzezinski: Ukraine's Futureby PetersonInstitute 4,043 views
- 15:20 Fareed Zakaria talks to Zbigniew Brzezinski re Iran Syria Obama and moreby JFhsfohhMN 14,528 views
- 3 videos Play all Zbigniew Brzezinski on the Afghan war (and Pakistan)by zarehs
- 46:26 CNN, Cold War, Soldiers of God, Afghanistanby Ario Barzan 18,635 views
- 7:56 Zbigniew Brzezinski On CNN About Libyaby SaveOurSovereignty3 9,888 views
- 13:45 Dr. Zbigniew K. Brzezinski - Important that We Support the U.N. Recognition of Palestine as a Stateby TruthInjector 2,535 views
- 9:55 Know Thy Enemy - Zbigniew Brzezinskiby sgentlemanjack112 7,349 views
- 7:25 Zbigniew Brzezinski discusses "intelligent manipulation" in Iranby otraverdad 27,260 views
- 1:07:39 Foreign Affairs LIVE featuring Zbigniew Brzezinskiby ForeignAffairsMag 11,353 views
- 3:35 Brzezinski vs. Bernstein on Syria and Russiaby jecarter4 5,455 views
- 10:53 Zbigniew Brzezinski vs. Brent Scowcroft on Libya Interventionby TheStevenBlue 4,202 views
- 10:23 BRZEZINSKI ZBIGNIEW- SMOLENSK...by Kris Antolak 3,929 views
- 11:01 Frost over the world-Zbigniew Brzezinski-20 March 09-Part 4by AlJazeeraEnglish 16,184 views
- 9:55 War in Afghanistan 1979-1988by kommandor2000 31,648 views
- 4:56 Zbigniew Brzezinski o Smolensku [PL]by dinkelo 74,222 views
- 2:56 women arise - Afghanistan كابل كابول افغانستانby wah0islamah 7,585 views
- Loading more suggestions...