Zbigniew Brzezinski Taliban Pakistan Afghanistan pep talk 1979
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 4, 2009
Trustee, Trilateral Commission; Director (1973-1976)
Director, Council on Foreign Relations (CFR) (1972 to 1977)
In 1979 Carters National Security Advisor, Zbigniew Brzezinski went into Pakistans border regions with Afghanistan to give a little pep talk to some prospective majehadeen (Holy Warriors).
In a 1997 interview for CNN's Cold War Series, Brzezinski hinted about the Carter Administration's proactive Afghanistan policy before the Soviet invasion in 1979, that he had conceived.
QUESTION: When the Soviets justified their intervention by asserting that they intended to fight against a secret involvement of the United States in Afghanistan, people didn't believe them. However, there was a basis of truth. You don't regret anything today?
Brzezinski: Regret what? That secret operation was an excellent idea. It had the effect of drawing the Russians into the Afghan trap and you want me to regret it? The day that the Soviets officially crossed the border, I wrote to President Carter: We now have the opportunity of giving to the USSR its Vietnam war. Indeed, for almost 10 years, Moscow had to carry on a war unsupportable by the government, a conflict that brought about the demoralization and finally the breakup of the Soviet empire.
In 1998, in an interview in Le Nouvel Observateur, Brzezinski dismissed the risks of blow back and defended his support of the mujahideen in the following terms: What is most important to the history of the world? The Taliban or the collapse of the Soviet Empire? Some stirred-up Moslems or the liberation of Central Europe and the end of the cold war?
These days, Brzezinski might take stirred-up Moslems more seriously.
If he ever republishes his The Grand Chessboard: American Primacy and its Geostrategic Imperatives, he and other American geostrategists may wish to reconsider the role of Muslims as something other than dispensable pawns.
Standard YouTube License
- 20:45 Living Without Laws: Slab City, USAby VICE Featured 2,177,587
- 39:21 Meet Zbigniew Brzezinski, Conspiracy Theoristby corbettreport62,600 views
- 16:47 Brzezinski on the Afghan war Pt1by TheRealNews40,769 views
- 38:38 Afghanistan Kurasan Jihad Full Movieby KurasaniGirl3,543 views
- 15:20 Fareed Zakaria talks to Zbigniew Brzezinski re Iran Syria Obama and moreby JFhsfohhMN16,483 views
- 49:59 Jihad Without Border Shahriar Kabir's documentary on Militancy in Pakistanby shompritiforum4,595 views
- 55:35 Nida al Jihad -- The end of aggressors in the land of Afghan -- the province of Nuristanby yaourt fruite5,624 views
- 57:00 PORTRAIT OF JIHAD - A documentary by Shahriar Kabirby shompritiforum1,418 views
- 4:06 Who is Zbigniew Brzezinski and what is his (their) plan for humanity?by mmaghfai38,357 views
- 3:33 ZIONISM: Brzezinski Says Israel Lobby Not Good, Nearly 40% Settler Land Stolen & Carter Seeks Peaceby VexZeez36,005 views
- 46:44 Crusades: Call to Jihad | BBC History Documentaryby CrusadesDocumentary1,701 views
- 57:13 Zbigniew Brzezinski: Ukraine's Futureby PetersonInstitute4,827 views
- 43:45 MSNBC "Trail of Terror" Jihad In Iraq Documentaryby videos4yoazz730 views
- 1:00:37 A Conversation with Zbigniew Brzezinskiby Council on Foreign Relations10,789 views
- 21:30 Sensacje XX wieku [B.Wołoszański] - Nikita Chruszczow [audycja radia ZET]by patriiot936,422 views
- 45:00 Secrets of war: Cold war Khrushchev's regimeby SECRETSOFWAR922,656 views
- 10:21 The Military-Industrial-Congressional Complex Pt1by TheRealNews17,893 views
- 45:18 I knew Bin Laden - Al-Jazeera Documentaryby theweeklystash80,874 views
- 46:52 Zbigniew Brzezinski on U.S.-China Relations: CHINA Town Hall 2011by TheNCUSCR19,240 views
- 1:00:00 Sir Harold Evans in conversation with Henry Kissinger and Jon Huntsmanby Reuters4,018 views
- Loading more suggestions...