This video is unavailable.
Autonomous robotic plane flies indoors at MIT
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Aug 9, 2012
For decades, academic and industry researchers have been working on control algorithms for autonomous helicopters — robotic helicopters that pilot themselves, rather than requiring remote human guidance. Dozens of research teams have competed in a series of autonomous-helicopter challenges posed by the Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International (AUVSI); progress has been so rapid that the last two challenges have involved indoor navigation without the use of GPS.
But MIT's Robust Robotics Group — which fielded the team that won the last AUVSI contest — has set itself an even tougher challenge: developing autonomous-control algorithms for the indoor flight of GPS-denied airplanes. At the 2011 International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), a team of researchers from the group described an algorithm for calculating a plane's trajectory; in 2012, at the same conference, they presented an algorithm for determining its "state" — its location, physical orientation, velocity and acceleration. Now, the MIT researchers have completed a series of flight tests in which an autonomous robotic plane running their state-estimation algorithm successfully threaded its way among pillars in the parking garage under MIT's Stata Center.
Read more: http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2012/au...
Video: Melanie Gonick, MIT News
Additional footage courtesy of: Adam Bry, Nicholas Roy, Abraham Bachrach of the Robust Robotics Group, Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory, Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics at Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Special thanks to the Office of Naval Research under MURI N00014-09-1-1052 and the Army Research Office under the Micro Autonomous System Technologies program.
Standard YouTube License
- 10:07 15-Yr-Old Kelvin Doe Wows M.I.T.by THNKRFeatured 4,637,511
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology 2,746 videos316K
- 5:17 A Robot Teaches Itself How to Walkby ForaTv 96,744 views
- 1:54 His Hand Doesn't Even Moveby ItMustBeCollege 6,712,792 views
- 7:35 Plane crash video from inside cockpitby outdoors2stay 3,251,422 views
- 53:30 Lec 1 | MIT 6.00 Introduction to Computer Science and Programming, Fall 2008by MIT 1,452,397 views
- 3:00 NASA JPL Robotic Microspinesby spectrummag 68,106 views
- 11:43 MIT Leg Lab Robotsby GerbilGod7 828,453 views
- 9:11 World's Top3 Humanoid Robots - Asimo vs HPR-4 vs NAO!by SupernovaAnnie 2,718,350 views
- 3:05 Hydrographics- Dipping my hand in carbon fiber film- elpasopowdercoating.comby ElPasoPowderCoating 6,287,890 views
- 4:20 Walter Lewin, MIT professor: "All of you have now lost your virginity... in Physics!" (interview)by lainformacioncom 243,823 views
- 1:52 Robotic Bird Takes Flightby diagonaluk 231,123 views
- 3:08 Sandia Robotic Handby SandiaLabs 124,638 views
- 0:49 Cool new army tire technologyby Kuuey 17,189,178 views
- 10:40 Predator Dronesby kzoMedia 556,750 views
- 3:08 Autonomous Robot With Neurologically-Based Control Systemby spectrummag 570,521 views
- 16:27 The Future of Robotics and Artificial Intelligence (Andrew Ng, Stanford University, STAN 2011)by StanfordUniversity 162,196 views
- 3:01 Swarm Robots Cooperate with AR Droneby GerbilGod7 569,123 views
- 3:37 AMSTAF -- Autonomous, Robotic Security Vehicleby defenseupdate 39,887 views
- 3:33 M.I.T. Computer Program Reveals Invisible Motion in Videoby TheNewYorkTimes 733,559 views
- 1:46 Cool New Autonomous Robot - The Beginning of Skynet?by themop11 579,924 views
- Loading more suggestions...