Barry McGee at BAM/PFA
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Aug 15, 2012
A sneak preview of the installation of Barry McGee's midcareer retrospective, on view at the UC Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive from August 24 through December 9, 2012.
"Throughout his career," writes Alex Baker in the exhibition catalog, "Barry McGee has continued to surprise and contradict expectations." Including rarely seen early etchings, letterpress printing trays and liquor bottles painted with his trademark cast of down-and-out urban characters, constellations of vibrant op-art painted panels, animatronic taggers, and an elaborate re-creation of a cacophonous street-corner bodega, along with many new projects, this first midcareer survey of the globally influential San Francisco--based artist showcases the broad range of McGee's compassionate and vivacious work.
McGee, who trained professionally in painting and printmaking at the San Francisco Art Institute, began sharing his work in the 1980s, not in a museum or gallery setting but on the streets of San Francisco, where he developed his skills as a graffiti artist, often using the tag name "Twist." McGee's use of this and other monikers—such as Ray and Lydia Fong—as well as his frequent collaborations can make it difficult to precisely situate the artist's unique authorship. Using a visual vocabulary drawn from graffiti, comics, hobo art, and sign painting, McGee celebrates his Mission District neighborhood while at the same time calling attention to the harmful effects of capitalism, gentrification, and corporate control of public space. His often-humorous paintings, drawings, and prints—all wrought with extraordinary skill—push the boundaries of art: his work can be refreshingly informal in the gallery and surprisingly elegant on the street.
McGee has long viewed the city itself as a living space for art and activism, but his more recent work has brought the urban condition into the space of the gallery. Increasingly, his installation environments express the anarchic vitality of the inner-city street, incorporating overturned cars and trucks, and often spill beyond the frame of the gallery or museum.
Barry McGee is organized by Director Lawrence Rinder, with Assistant Curator Dena Beard. Barry McGee is made possible by lead support from The Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts and presenting sponsor Citizens of Humanity. Major support is provided by the National Endowment for the Arts, Ratio 3, Cheim and Read, the East Bay Fund for Artists at the East Bay Community Foundation, The Robert Lehman Foundation, Prism, Stuart Shave/Modern Art, and Cinelli. Additional support is provided by Rena Bransten, Gallery Paule Anglim, Jeffrey Fraenkel and Frish Brandt, Suzanne Geiss, Nion McEvoy, and the BAM/PFA Trustees.
Special thanks to Citizens of Humanity for their additional support of BAM/PFA's grade-school art experience programs.
Standard YouTube License
- 51:32 In Conversation: Jeffrey Deitch and Lawrence Rinder on Barry McGeeby BAMPFA1,987 views
- 32:33 Barry McGee Slideshowby BAMPFA1,356 views
- 5:08 Barry McGee Curators' Tourby BAMPFA3,711 views
- 1:56 Barry McGee @ BAM/PFA; Member Opening Celebrationby BAMPFA673 views
- 10:00 Barry McGee doing Harvey Garvey Taterby CMIUTube3,080 views
- 8:51 2012 Barry McGee Mid Career Retrospective at BAMby Henry Witecki3,069 views
- 2:47 John Waters: Good Taste and Bad Tasteby Big Think42,051 views
- 2:41 Barry McGee on creating art indoorsby San Francisco Museum of Modern Art4,990 views
- 16:43 TagsAndThrows - Bombing Alone.by David Husselhoff123,680 views
- 2:02 Twist Amaze Resq Stefan Deej CBT crew in San Diego,Caby Mike Maxwell12,496 views
- 8:17 Art This Week-The Modern-FOCUS: Barry McGee-Curator Andrea Karnes Interview-April 15, 2016.by artthisweek263 views
- 8:01 Barry McGee and Renny Pritikinby Kadist Art Foundation1,197 views
- 3:46 Barry McGee - Berkeley Art Museum - Art in the Streets - MOCAtv Ep. 4by MOCA21,860 views
- 10:41 TagsAndThrows.com - Bombing With Guns.by David Husselhoff298,074 views
- 12:14 kara walkerby Luciana Ponte8,722 views
- 8:49 UNBELIEVABLE New York Street Art!!!!by Dan Weecks217,730 views
- 9:49 Mike Giant on Meditationby massappeal5,815 views
- 4:12 The Artist Series with Gavin McInnes: Kathy Grayson Part 2 - DATAMOSHINGby NewYorkArtDepartment1,148 views
- 27:44 KCBR - Live Life Likeby Hans Müller373,552 views
- 4:32 Barry McGeeby inesvigo1,391 views
- Loading more suggestions...