This is why we test
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 27, 2011
Today the Morpheus team attempted a hover test under tether. This test was the next incremental step in a series of planned tests leading to free flight. Among previous tests were component tests, subsystem tests, integrated vehicle tests, and in the last week successful strap down engine ignition and firing tests. The particular test today was intended to demonstrate a 40 second engine firing while maintaining altitude of five feet above the tether point. Shortly after ignition the vehicle pitched over and control authority was lost. The multiple redundant thrust termination system (a precursor to the flight termination system) executed and aborted the test. The test team then executed all nominal and contingency procedures required to safe the vehicle. All ground crew had been evacuated to 1000ft well before the test, per procedure.
The team is examining the on-board data and the vehicle hardware to assess the issue or issues as well as reviewing ground procedures. There are a number of ideas and theories but first reports are usually wrong so we won't speculate yet. The vehicle appears to be in good condition and only minor damage to some ground wire and hardware was experienced.
It was a great test and learning experience as expected. We obtained confirmation and a robust test of the thrust termination system, a necessary requirement for proceeding to free flight. We stressed the test team and our ability to manage and control anomalies. We obtained critical GN&C and flight control data to continue building confidence in the system. We achieved another clean start of our in-house built LOX/LCH4 engine. And finally we validated our philosophy of incremental build up and testing under the most controlled conditions possible.
This is exactly why we test. This is exactly why we first test powerful energetic systems under tether.
Finally it must be remembered if you wait to light the engine until you know everything you want to know, there is no longer a need to light the engine...other than to discover you were absolutely wrong that you knew everything.
Morpheus Project Manager
Standard YouTube License
- 1:29:48 THE SECRET NASA TRANSMISSIONS: The Smoking Gun - FEATURE FILMby UFOTVstudios Featured 420,106
- 11:20 Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity Rover Animationby NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory3,134,344 views
- 10:01 NASA's Alien Anomalies caught on film - A compilation of stunning UFO footage from NASA's archivesby LunaCognita13,855,830 views
- 14:33 Morpheus lander first free flight and failure in HDby George Hatcher228,808 views
- 13:04 NASA WARNS BE PREPARED!! Nibiru is coming 2012.. DOOMSDAY!by Falcorr895,403 views
- 6:52 Space Tourism Turns Tenby Miles O'Brien75,465 views
- 1:40:45 Undeniable Evidence Aliens Do Not Come From Other Galaxiesby Komorusan474,526 views
- 4:03 How To Survive A Robot Uprising (aka Robopocalypse)by Epipheo672,441 views
- 20 videos Play all Boeing's 787 and Flight Testsby heraldnet
- 1:46:39 UNMASKING AN EXTRATERRESTRIAL PRESENCE (FULL DOCUMENTARY 2013)by GRIMMARS200,331 views
- 16:58 NASA WTF Did You Do To Piss Off E.T - STS107 I Want ANSWERS On This One 11-21-2013by DarkSkyWatcher74313,163 views
- 4:58 NASA: Increasing the Awesomeby NASA61,925 views
- 7:46 4/27/11 - Tuscaloosa Tornadoby Jason Rosolowski6,906,653 views
- 2:57 C-130 YMC-130H Lockheed Hercules flight test accident crashby gmcjetpilot16,026,393 views
- 3:39 Cocorobo intelligent vacuum cleaner robot communicates with its owner #DigInfoby DigInfo TV31,510 views
- 1:00:48 The biggest secret of mankind - The Clementine conspiracy a.k.a. Project Golden Dragonby 1967sander1,296,624 views
- 1:32 SpaceX Next - Commercial Crewby spacexchannel104,284 views
- 3:01 Flight Test Video#1by baldwintechnology182,995 views
- 1:13 Morpheus Tether Testby okrajoe23,821 views
- 1:02 Morpheusby okrajoe48,807 views