Paul Ryan: The Disappointment of President Obama's Broken Promises
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Oct 26, 2011
"Saving the American Idea: Rejecting Fear, Envy and the Politics of Division"
House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan -- Heritage Foundation
Full text: http://budget.house.gov/News/Document...
To my great disappointment, it appears that the politics of division are making a big comeback. Many Americans share my disappointment -- especially those who were filled with great hope a few years ago, when then-Senator Obama announced his candidacy in Springfield, Illinois.
Do you remember what he said? He said that what's stopped us from meeting our nation's greatest challenges is "the failure of leadership, the smallness of our politics -- the ease with which we're distracted by the petty and trivial, our chronic avoidance of tough decisions, our preference for scoring cheap political points instead of rolling up our sleeves and building a working consensus to tackle big problems."
I couldn't agree more.
And yet, nearly three years into his presidency, look at where we are now: Petty and trivial? Just last week, the President told a crowd in North Carolina that Republicans are in favor of "dirtier air, dirtier water, and less people with health insurance." Can you think of a pettier way to describe sincere disagreements between the two parties on regulation and health care? Chronic avoidance of tough decisions? The President still has not put forward a credible plan to tackle the threat of ever-rising spending and debt, and it's been over 900 days since his party passed a budget in the Senate. A preference for scoring cheap political points instead of consensus-building? This is the same President who is currently campaigning against a do-nothing Congress, when in fact, the House of Representatives has passed over a dozen bills to help get the economy moving and deal with the debt, only to see the President's party kill those bills in the do-nothing Senate.
Look, we put our cards on the table. Earlier this year, the House of Representatives advanced a far-reaching plan filled with common-sense reforms aimed at putting the budget on the path to balance and the economy on the path to prosperity.
But instead of working together where we agree, the President has opted for divisive rhetoric and the broken politics of the past. He is going from town to town, impugning the motives of Republicans, setting up straw men and scapegoats, and engaging in intellectually lazy arguments, as he tries to build support for punitive tax hikes on job creators.
Standard YouTube License
- 23:36 Saving the American Idea: Rejecting Fear, Envy and the Politics of Divisionby HouseBudgetCommittee13,137 views
- 1:13 Paul Ryan: Let's Subsidize the Wealthy Lessby HouseBudgetCommittee338 views
- 9:36 Paul Ryan on CNBC: The Politics of Divisionby HouseBudgetCommittee1,071 views
- 1:07 Paul Ryan: All Americans Have the Right To Riseby HouseBudgetCommittee571 views
- 4:24 The Divisive Presidency of Barack Obamaby welovesarahpalin502 views
- 1:30:51 Full VP Debate - Joe Biden and Paul Ryan - Vice Presidential Debate Fullby WSJDigitalNetwork25,249 views
- 4:33 Nelson Mandela Death: Obama Remembers 'Profoundly Good' Manby The New York Times13,908 views
- 12:22 Repealing Obamacare with Congressman Paul Ryan: Chapter 4 of 5by HooverInstitution842 views
- 15:01 President Barack Obama's broken promises of 2011 Part 1/2by Ahmir Hussain652 views
- 4:31 President Obama Mourns the Death of Nelson Mandelaby WSJDigitalNetwork33,240 views
- 27:48 Paul Ryan's CPAC 2012 Keynote Addressby prosperityaction42,783 views
- 19:41 Mr President Obamaby Cocktail Mattress530 views
- 14:30 Rep. Paul Ryan Vs. President Obamaby forbes172,834 views
- 5:35 Paul Ryan and President Obama discuss spending and budgetby RepPaulRyan78,248 views
- 4:17 Paul Ryan Reviews Mitt Romney's Failed Bid For President in 2012 Electionby ABC News49,201 views
- 6:35 Grayson: It's Class Warfare vs. Class Surrenderby Alan Grayson8,870 views
- 5:33 IRS Hearings - Paul Ryan Nails it !!!!!by David Anton41,862 views
- 0:48 Matt Damon: Not a fan of Obamaby MrGogomofo888,664 views
- 5:10 What has Obama done so far?by Rorty0071,023 views
- 4:29 Nelson Mandela - Barack Obama pays tribute to South Africa's Madibaby ITN67,616 views
- Loading more suggestions...