Labor Beat: Pilsen/Little Village School Closing Hearing
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Feb 15, 2013
In the second week of public hearings on proposed school closings, Chicago Public Schools held its traveling inquisition for the Pilsen/Little Village Network on February 6, 2013. By this date, after 8 hearings, CPS officials had decided to slightly modify their approach. School communities in earlier meetings loudly denounced long PowerPoint presentations and getting divided into smaller breakout groups to diffuse their unified opposition. So the officials tonight didn't attempt to chop the audience into "intimate breakout clusters" (CPS's Phillip Hampton's bizarre phrase from the 1/28 Ravenswood-Ridge meeting).
The Walton foundation (Walton = Walmart) donated almost a half million dollars to CPS to fund these hearings, and one wonders if there was some behind-the-scenes coaching from that notoriously anti-union corporation. By the way, the word "hearings" is a poor choice. CPS is determined to close public schools to pave the way for profit-making charters, and they have no interest in hearing inconvenient information. Their objective is to only go through the motions of following the Chicago Facilities Law that requires CPS to hold hearings on school closings. (Though the law also required them to hold hearings in November, which CPS has clearly failed to do.)
These school closing inquisitions have challenged local videographers -- and audiences -- who are forced to suffer through lousy sound amplification setups and very echoey gymnasiums. And the Pilsen/Little Village venue (Velasquez Institute) did not provide an audio box for our videographer to plug into for best recording from the wireless public mic. However, we have edited here the best, most audible highlights, and then enhanced them with observations from Substance News reporter Sarah Chambers -- also a CTU and CORE member -- who was there.
With her running commentary, we witness hundreds of parents and community members being locked out by policemen with bicycles blocking the doors. An African-American parent from Paderewski School points out that the right to equal, quality public education is a basic civil right, as she evokes the memory of Rosa Parks. Other speakers, talking directly and forcefully to the hearing officers, note again and again how indifferent CPS is to their testimony, and how inept they are at even organizing the meeting itself. A student from Madero Middle School tells one hearing officer to his face that their closing of his school will probably break their spirits and their enthusiasm for learning.
Sarah Chambers reminds us that only a few months ago an advisory referendum for an elected school board passed with over 80% approval [87%], and that the current appointed school board system in Chicago will have to go. She also notes that recent CPS annoucements about specific schools being targeted (and not other schools) may be a ploy to 'divide and conquer' in order to reduce the strength of the protests.
Please make a Donation to Labor Beat (Committee for Labor Access) and help rank-and-file tv:
Produced by Labor Beat. Labor Beat is a CAN TV Community Partner. Labor Beat is a non-profit 501(c)(3) member of IBEW 1220. Views are those of the producer Labor Beat. For info: firstname.lastname@example.org, www.laborbeat.org. 312-226-3330. For other Labor Beat videos, visit YouTube and search "Labor Beat".
On Chicago CAN TV Channel 19, Thursdays 9:30 pm; Fridays 4:30 pm. Labor Beat has regular cable slots in Chicago, Evanston, Rockford, Urbana, IL; Philadelphia, PA; Princeton, NJ; and Rochester, NY. For more detailed information, send us a request at email@example.com.
Standard YouTube License
- 2:58:58 Why Is America in Decline? Chris Hedges on the U.S. Empire & Death of the Liberal Class (2012)by The Film Archive33,652 views
- 48:06 ASEAN and it's member countriesby MrKlungseth15,841 views
- 2:54:27 Chris Hedges "Brace Yourself! The American Empire Is Over & The Descent Is Going To Be Horrifying!"by MOXNEWSd0tC0M688,274 views
- 23:38 The Pathology of the Rich - Chris Hedges on Reality Asserts Itself pt1by TheRealNews34,124 views
- 1:27:45 Debate Chris Hedges vs Sam Harris Religion, Politics FULLby ChristopherHitchslap116,055 views
- 17:17 Chris Hedges: Urban Poverty in America Made Me Question Everything - Pt 1 of 7by TheRealNews39,721 views
- 2:57:00 Chicago and Earth, Wind & Fire - live at greek theatreby InCreeper165,084 views
- 38:09 Impact of Chicago's Proposed School Closings on Special Ed Studentsby CAN TV505 views
- 1:41:50 Chris Hedges at Moravian College: The Myth of Human Progress and the Collapse of Complex Societiesby Moravian College Tube17,083 views
- 15:01 crusing thru pilsen chicago video 2by EYESEEYOU312323 views
- 5:29 Little Village High School Hoops 2012-2013by Redd C155 views
- 30:02 Russell's Brand New Revolution + Chris Hedges Interview on Class War | Resistance Report #11by Dennis Trainor, Jr22,998 views
- 4:24 50 Schools Closing to Pay for Sports Arena, Chicagoby PeoplesUnderground930 views
- 8:44 lvlhs strikeby lvlhsctu211 views
- 5:51 Residents Angry at CPS Meeting on School Closings at Arturo Velasquez Institute in Pilsenby Lucia Anaya788 views
- 2:33 Occupy CPS - Chicago Board of Education Public Hearing on School Closings, 4/3/13by OccupyCPS412 views
- 27:59 Is Edward Snowden a Hero? A Debate With Journalist Chris Hedges & Law Scholar Geoffrey Stoneby democracynow117,360 views
- 4:28 Students to RSD: We want our schools back now!by notribune378 views
- 25:38 Labor Beat: NATO vs The 1st Amendmentby MiloWolf733 views
- 3:52 Sarah Chambers @ PLVN School Closing Hearingby sarahdashji201 views
- Loading more suggestions...