- Startups : Michael Preysman of Everlane - TWiST #253
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 30, 2012
1:00-3:30 Welcome everyone, with me today is Michael Preysman the co-founder of Everlane.
3:30-4:45 One of the things I've always been obsessive about is the perfect black tee shirt.
4:45-6:00 Thank you to Walker Corporate Law for their support of TWiST! Everyone thank @ScottEdWalker, then call Scott at 310-288-6667.
6:00-8:45 Jason: I found your infographic on internet and it immediately pulled me in.
8:45-10:00 Michael: Fashion industry pricing is opaque. We went out there to be transparent and show true costs.
10:00-11:30 What made you want to get into this business?
11:30-14:00 Could you go even higher quality?
14:00-14:45 Who was in your angel round?
14:45-17:00 What is net promoter score?
17:00-20:30 What quantity do you have to produce the merchandise in in order to make the pricing work?
20:30-22:00 When we talked, I proposed that there's an opportunity for a club, or some limited-access group. Any thought of that?
22:00-25:00 Thank you to Trada for sponsoring TWiST! Everyone give them a shoutout @Trada!
25:00-28:00 What impact do you think Everlane will have on Gap, American Apparel and the like?
28:00-29:30 Only idiots will buy retail ten years from now.
29:30-30:15 What kind of margin can you run this business at?
30:15-36:00 Why we don't spend money on branding.
36:00-38:15 You're into economics, right? What is your view on the efficiency of the world and the future of employment and commerce?
38:15-40:30 If retail goes away will we have a permanent unemployment reset?
40:30-41:30 What's the hard part? What keeps you up at night?
41:30-44:30 Michael: Consistency and fabric quality are the differentiating factors for clothing.
44:30-45:30 Are you losing money on shipping?
45:30-48:00 How many people are in the company?
48:00-49:00 It feels like you're building a radical loyalty, by being so responsive on social media?
49:00-53:00 Where do you see the company five years from now?
53:00-54:45 Could I be buying Everlane dress shoes five years from now that will be of comparable quality to anything I could buy at Barney's?
54:45-1:00:00 Why hasn't this been done before?
1:00:00-1:02:15 Michael, I wish you continued success. Everyone follow him @mpreysman on Twitter and follow @everlane.
1:02:15-1:04:00 We're going to be sitting here in five years when this is a billion dollar company and I'll be saying I told you so, Michael.
1:04:00-1:05:30 You're not going to raise a round any time soon, are you?
1:05:30- Thank you to Trada and Walker Corporate Law for their support. See you all next time!
Support This Week in Startups and independent media by joining the TWiST Producer Program at TwistList.co!
Want to support TWiST another way? Use bit.ly/twistamazon when you shop and a portion of your purchase will go toward helping keep independent media like TWiST on air!
Keep up with the latest from our sister company, LAUNCH:
The Age of Excellence
Is There a YCombinator Valuation Bubble or Not?
The One Product that Makes Apple a Trillion-Dollar Company Overnight
Mint.com-for-the-cloud Cloudability to Graduate from TechStars Cloud with 2k+ Customers
FOLLOW ON TWITTER
Walker Corporate Law: @scottedwalker
Next in - Startups: Season 3
- 1:12:58 - Startups - Chamath Palihapitiya of The Social+Capital Partnership - TWiST #238by This Week In Startups10,435 views
- 44:16 - Startups - Mike McCue of Flipboard - TWiST #178 Bonusby This Week In Startups2,232 views
- 1:19:22 - Startups - Kevin Rose of Milk - TWiST #218by This Week In Startups18,345 views
- 2:50 Bowser and His Minionsby CollegeHumor7,328,560 views
- 1:27:50 - Startups - News Panel with Adeo Ressi and Ryan Block - TWiST #227by This Week In Startups3,450 views
- 1:18:55 - Startups - News Roundtable with Thomas McInerney and Marshall Kirkpatrick - TWiST #258by This Week In Startups4,027 views
- 52:24 - Startups - Shark Tank Takeover - TWiST #202by This Week In Startups6,087 views
- 44:11 Ambition. Discipline. Purpose. The Journey of Being an Entrepreneur with Gurbaksh Chahalby University of California Television (UCTV)28,290 views
- 1:24:04 - Startups - Dan Gould of Chill - TWiST #204by This Week In Startups2,932 views
- 1:24:40 - Startups - News Panel with Rafe Needleman and Peter Horan - TWiST #213by This Week In Startups3,257 views
- 46:31 - Startups - Adi Sideman of YouNow - TWiST #275by This Week In Startups2,384 views
- 1:37:20 - Startups - Eric Ries of Lean Startup - TWiST #199by This Week In Startups26,586 views
- 1:27:44 - Startups - Sweden vs. South Africa Meetup - TWiST #260by This Week In Startups5,046 views
- 1:18:50 - Startups - Dmitry Shapiro of Anybeat - TWiST #187by This Week In Startups3,905 views
- 56:20 The Life Of A Young Entrepreneur - Documentaryby DocumentaryTube32,240 views
- 1:23:58 Guy Kawasaki: The Top 10 Mistakes of Entrepreneursby UCBerkeleyHaas171,568 views
- 1:08:45 - Startups - Neal Sales-Griffin of Code Academy - TWiST #230by This Week In Startups5,869 views
- 1:23:56 - Startups - News with Sean Percival and James Altucher - TWiST #223by This Week In Startups3,363 views
- 53:14 - Startups - Fred Wilson of Union Square Ventures - TWiST #161by This Week In Startups12,211 views