Occupy Birthright Israel, Un-Occupy Palestine
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 10, 2011
We call for young Jews and allies nationwide to join in solidarity with Occupy Wall Street and with our Palestinian siblings living under their own form of occupation. Let us stand up to the 1% in our own community -- the powerful institutions that support Israel's corporate-backed military control of the Palestinian people and act as the gatekeepers for our community."
The Young Jewish Declaration
A vision of collective identity, purpose and values written by and for young Jews committed to justice in Israel and Palestine. It is an invitation and call to action for both our peers and our elders, launched as a counter-protest at the 2010 Jewish Federation General Assembly in New Orleans.
I. we exist.
We exist. We are everywhere. We speak and love and dream in every language. We pray three times a day or only during the high holidays or when we feel like we really need to or not at all. We are punks and students and parents and janitors and Rabbis and freedom fighters. We are your children, your nieces and nephews, your grandchildren. We embrace diaspora, even when it causes us a great deal of pain. We are the rubble of tangled fear, the deliverance of values. We are human. We are born perfect. We assimilate, or we do not. We are not apathetic. We know and name persecution when we see it. Occupation has constricted our throats and fattened our tongues. We are feeding each other new words. We have family, we build family, we are family. We re-negotiate. We atone. We re-draw the map every single day. We travel between worlds. This is not our birthright, it is our necessity.
II. we remember.
We remember slavery in Egypt, and we remember hiding our celebrations and ritual. We remember brave, desperate resistance. We honor a legacy of radical intellectuals and refugees. We remember the labor movement. We remember the camps. We remember when we aged too quickly. We remember that we are still young, and powerful. We remember being branded as counterrevolutionaries in one state and hunted during the red scare of another. We remember our ancestors' suffering and our own. Our stories are older than any brutal war. We remember those who cannot afford to take time to heal. We remember how to build our homes, and our holiness, out of time and thin air, and so do not need other people's land to do so. We remember solidarity as a means of survival and an act of affirmation, and we are proud.
III. we refuse.
We refuse to have our histories distorted or erased, or appropriated by a corporate war machine. We will not call this liberation. We refuse to knowingly oppress others, and we refuse to oppress each other. We refuse to be whitewashed. We will not carry the legacy of terror. We refuse to allow our identities to be cut, cleaned, packaged nicely, and sold back to us. We won't be won over by free vacations and scholarship money. We won't buy the logic that slaughter means safety. We will not quietly witness the violation of human rights in Palestine. We refuse to become the mother who did not scream when wise King Solomon resolved to split her baby in two. We are better than this. We have ancestors to honor. We have allies to honor. We have ourselves to honor.
IV. we commit.
We commit ourselves to peace. We will stand up with honest bodies, to offer honest bread. We will stand up with our words, our pens, our songs, our paintbrushes, our open hands. We commit to re-envisioning "homeland," to make room for justice. We will stand in the way of colonization and displacement. We will take this to the courts and to the streets. We will learn. We will teach this in the schools and in our homes. We will stand with you, if you choose to stand with our allies. We will grieve the lies we've swallowed. We commit to equality, solidarity, and integrity. We will soothe the deepest tangles of our roots and stretch our strong arms to the sky. We demand daylight for our stories, for all stories. We seek breathing room and dignity for all people. We are committed to the struggle. We are the struggle. We will become mentors, elders, and radical listeners for the next generation. It is our sacred obligation. We will not stop. We exist. We are young Jews, and we get to decide what that means.
Standard YouTube License
- 3:23 If Americans Knew What Israel Is Doing! VIDEO WAS CENSORED!by Representative Press ☞ Featured 4,382,467
- 1:08:31 An honest Israeli Jew tells the Real Truth about Israelby Muslims and the World368,789 views
- 56:50 Why did Christians stop killing Jews? - The Atheist Experience #734 (full episode)by TheAtheistExperience75,824 views
- 1:48:29 Peter Schiff at Occupy Wall Street: Full Version, Almost 2 Hours Long!by ReasonTV153,908 views
- 45:17 Israeli Air Force - Dog Fights Of The Middle Eastby cafeturkie325,377 views
- 14:59 The Birthright Israel Documentaryby Justin Kanner17,882 views
- 32:16 December 4 2013 Is Israel preparing for a preemptive strike on Iran??? 1 of 2by u2bheavenbound10,248 views
- 9:39 AIPAC 101 — What Every American Should Knowby Anthony Lawson120,592 views
- 12:59 The MOST Important Video About Israel You'll Ever See!by thelandofisrael1,284,317 views
- 9:58 Origins of Israel Palestinian Conflictby CaspianReport463,296 views
- 6:47 Protesters Clash with Police During Wall Street March, Violence & Arrests @ #occupywallstreetby wearechange54,171 views
- 4:39 Rafeef Ziadah - 'We teach life, sir', London, 12.11.11by sternchenproductions450,221 views
- 4:14 Travel Palestine - Rediscover Your Sensesby TravelPalestine35,646 views
- 3:52 Dumb Liberal Hippies Don't Know Why They're Protestingby UFPnews581,366 views
- 8:28 Occupy Attacks!: Occupy Portland Attacks KGW News Crew!by Daylight Disinfectant71,500 views
- 4:33 6 Palestinian protesters ride Israeli bus to J'Lemby Jposttv5,377 views
- 11:03 Ron Paul on Israel and the so called Palestinian & Arab "terrorists"by ryan getsby3,143 views
- 2:57 The Story of Palestineby NeverBeforeCampaign forPalestine43,841 views
- 34:24 BirthRight Taglit Sachlav Israel Trip 2012by rlieber191,224 views
- 1:28 Newt DESTROYS Occupy Wall Streetby dentonexable70,097 views
- Loading more suggestions...