Uploaded on Oct 30, 2008
VisitPhoenix.com (things to know about Phoenix Arizona)
1. Phoenix is the nation's 6th largest city with just about 1.4 million year-round residents.
2. More than 300 golf courses throughout the state, Arizona is recognized as one of the world's premier golf destinations.
3. The name Arizona comes from the Native American Indian "Arizonac" which means "little spring".
4. Phoenix averages 211 days of sunshine per year. An additional 85 days per year are only partly cloudy, leaving an average of 69 days of cloudy or rainy days.
5. South Mountain Park in Phoenix covers more than 20,000 acres, making it the largest city park in the world.
6. There are 11.2 million acres of National Forest in Arizona and one fourth of the state is forested. The largest forest is comprised of Ponderosa Pine. Just 90 miles north of Phoenix!
7. Did you know there are lot of famous people live in Phoenix like Alice Cooper, Jenna Jameson, Jimmy Eat World, Matt Dallas, Naibe Reynoso, Jordin Sparks, and Melody Thornton etc.? Did you know in 1969 the City of Scottsdale created "Godzilla," the world's first successful, automated residential trash collection truck.
8. Arizona leads the nation in copper production. In fact, the amount of copper on the roof of the Arizona State Capitol building in Phoenix is equivalent to 4,800,000 pennies.
9. Arizona has more parks and National Monuments than any other continental state, more mountains than Switzerland and more golf courses than Scotland.
10. The largest Wurlitzer pipe organ in the world can be found at Organ Stop Pizza in Mesa. Fountain Hill (in Greater Phoenix area) is the world tallest fountain.