Robocop 2 (1990) - Stephen Hawkin's Honest Reviews - Hagfilms
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 13, 2011
Peter Weller and Nancy Allen return to their roles, this time bringing to life a screenplay originally penned by graphic novelist and film director Frank Miller, although his screenplay was deemed un-filmable and heavily edited. Verhoven hands over his directors seat to veteran film maker Irvin Kershner, who directed another classic sci-fi sequel The Empire Strikes Back, for George Lucas, which many consider the best film of the series. Unfortunately Robocop 2 wasn't to follow suit.
When a wholly original and successful movie spawns a sequel, it no longer remains a movie as a movie as such, but becomes somewhat of a franchise. You can imagine the studios marketing team taking to the streets with surveys in hand and asking the punters what they would most like to see in a sequel for said movie. This is the kind of thing that I can only assume took place during the pre production of Robocop 2.
What did you like about the original? What would you like to see Robo do in a new movie? I bet it all sounded fantastic in the planning, but soon became dull and ridiculous in the viewing, like a shoddy reconstruction a work of art.
All of the things that made Robocop seem fresh and gritty only help to make the sequel overdone and ridiculous. The violence tries too hard to be shocking, the satirical news broadcasts and commercials seem to much like a sketch show, and the characters appear as caricatures of their original selves.
By placing a child as one of the main characters, albeit a villain, it appears that the studio has tried to undermine the eighteen plus certification and aim directly at a younger audience. There are scenes that suggest the same, like the scene where Boy Scouts are stealing from an electrical store. And if I remember correctly, toys and a cartoon were also released alongside the release of this movie
The themes of the original are still present here, like corporate greed and privatisation of public services, but as I mentioned before, the cool tongue in cheek satire has been traded for blatant lampooning as the movie tries to push limits to unbelievable extremes.
The main villain, Kane, creator of the must have drug Nuke, when compared to Clarence Boddiker from the original, comes off as cartoon bad guy, especially when he becomes Robocop 2 and a ridiculous destructive battle takes place in the films finale, but Robocop 2 hardly compares to the design or the shock horror of ED-209 .
I know that many people consider Robocop 2 as a passable and worthy follow up to the 1989 cult classic, and that Robocop 3 is the lame horse, but I am not convinced that Robocop 3 stands alone as the lame horse. Never a fan of cashing in sequels, having just watched Robocop 2 again for this review, I will probably never watch it again, and shan't be bothering with the third one.
Well, that's all for now. Thanks for listening and love to all.
Standard YouTube License
- 2:08:55 KPCS: Peter Weller #118by kevinpollakschatshow Featured 12,709
- 11:00 Robocop: Prime Directives moments #7by everett191128,636 views
- 5:26 Peter Weller - 1987 - On set Interviewby RoboCop Archive 22,981 views
- 2:10 RoboCop Speaks to Detroitby Funny Or Die144,264 views
- 10:01 TERMINATOR VS ROBOCOP.EP3. OFFICIAL. THE FINAL WAR.HD.AMDSFILMS.by ANTONIO MARIA DA SILVA AMDSFILMS245,935 views
- 1:04:20 Peter Weller Q&A with Harry Knowlesby Ain't It Cool News5,081 views
- 9:05 Robocop: Prime Directives moments #12by everett191118,092 views
- 21:34 Rewinding Robocop 2by Nates Vlogs20,753 views
- 12:13 Peter Weller Talks Robocop's Suitby Ain't It Cool News100,323 views
- 1:31:24 RoboCop: The Human factor - Fan editby RoboCop Archive 2217,104 views
- 30:39 NES Longplay  RoboCop 2by cubex5513,043 views
- 29:00 RoboCop 2 (Arcade) - Full Gameby VideoGaming4U12,100 views
- 3:08:43 RoboCop: Prime Directives - Fan editby RoboCop Archive 2116,969 views
- 21:36 Robocop 2 Arcade Gameplay Playthrough longplayby arcadegamesfreak1,967 views
- 4:04 Speed Drawing Robocopby Artistic3236,989 views
- 13:29 Movie Review: Robocop 3by Nick "SWAG" Huggett17,081 views
- 54:19 ROBOCOP Q&A w/ PETER WELLER, NANCY ALLEN, PAUL VERHOEVEN & MORE! FROM weSPARK! 5/18/13by Cameron Hurtado11,510 views
- 5:51 Robocop (1987): Where Are They Now?by wherearetheynowguy116,848 views
- 22:38 Peter Weller - RoboCop 1987 Interviewby RoboCop Archive10,161 views
- 6:08 Uncut 35mm footages from RoboCop Iby astoriastudio14,422 views
- Loading more suggestions...