Elon Musk: Tesla and SolarCity Will Accelerate the Development of an Energy Solution
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Sep 5, 2013
Serial entrepreneur Elon Musk explains how Tesla and SolarCity address energy consumption and energy production respectively - a critical step to realizing our transition to a solar-powered world.
Transcript -- The reason I put so much time and effort into creating Tesla was because, it's always said to me that the transportation won't go electric and should go electric, but we have an unpriced externality in the negative effects of gasoline and on the environment and also in the wars that we fight and national security and that kind of thing.
Whenever you have an unpriced externality you can't quite rely on the market to do the right thing. So in order to have electric vehicles come sooner than they otherwise would... electric vehicles were always going to be the long-term transportation mechanism, but to make that day come sooner, you have to bridge the gap with innovation. That was the goal with Tesla is to try to serve as a catalyst to accelerate the day, the day of electric vehicles. And I think when all is said and done, I am hopeful that historians will look back on Tesla and say that Tesla advanced that by at least 10 years, which that would be a huge victory of mine... in my mind.
SolarCity, of course, is on the energy production side of things because it doesn't help if we have sustainable consumption of energy, but then that energy isn't produced in a sustainable way. I feel quite strongly that solar power will be the single largest source of electricity generation by midpoint of the century. In fact, just a simple extrapolation of the growth of solar power would for sure, that that's obviously going to be the case. And also when you consider that the earth is almost entirely solar powered today and that the fact that we're not a frozen ice ball at say 4 degrees kelvin and it's just due to the sun. And the whole ecosystem is powered by the sun. There's just an itty bitty amount of energy that we need to do complicated human things. It's a tiny amount of energy really compared to what the sun puts on the earth every day. And we just need to capture a little bit of that and turn it into electricity. So we have to try to accelerate that with innovation. And that's what SolarCity is about.
Directed / Produced by Jonathan Fowler, Elizabeth Rodd, and Dillon Fitton
*Recorded September, 2011
Standard YouTube License
- 3:57 Neil deGrasse Tyson: The 3 Fears That Drive Us to Accomplish Extraordinary Thingsby Big Think Featured 146,634
- 4:34 Are You a Psychopath? Take the Test.by Big Think1,667,832 views
- 3:22 How to Squash a Paranormal Claimby Big Think270,043 views
- 2:41 Crazy Wisdom: Daniel Dennett on Reductio ad Absurdumby Big Think77,606 views
- 2:26:34 TESLIVE 2013 General Session with Elon Musk (unedited)by Tesla Motors Club7,163 views
- 1:09:25 D11 Conference: Elon Musk Full Interviewby investary058,112 views
- 1:16:52 An Evening with Elon Musk and Alison van Diggelenby ComputerHistory66,579 views
- 52:06 Elon Musk Profiled: Bloomberg Risk Takersby shazmosushi120,825 views
- 1:26:19 Elon Musk - The Future of Energy and Transportby Xoofish121,286 views
- 8:46 Tesla Model S P85 Test Drive - The Best Car Ever?by Craig Shipp28,926 views
- 47:05 Megafactories - Tesla Model S | Zinatnieks Science TVby Zinatnieks123,829 views
- 13:26 Elon Musk interviewed by Fareed Zakaria CNNby Gregory Gulik5,930 views
- 3:44 Inside Elon Musk's $17M Bel Air Mansionby Bloomberg46,990 views
- 26:44 Foundation 20 // Elon Muskby Kevin Rose140,364 views
- 54:29 Elon Musk Keynote - SXSW Interactive 2013by Strasbourgeois49,083 views
- 39:41 Elon Musk Interviewby Elon Musk3,272 views
- 35:23 Elon Musk at Montana Jobs Summitby MontanaJobsSummit3,543 views
- 1:03:11 PandoMonthly: Fireside Chat With Elon Muskby PandoDaily105,257 views
- 16:19 solar city installby Scott Boatman2,107 views
- 2:30 Elon Musk on Tesla Fire: This Is What Happenedby Bloomberg14,049 views
- Loading more suggestions...