This video is unavailable.
How "The Pill" works as an Abortifacient
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on May 21, 2007
This video is an animation showing how the contraceptive pill sometimes causes embryonic abortions.
To read more about the mechanics of "The Pill" visit: http://www.epm.org/articles/bcp3300.html
To learn more about alternatives to taking "The Pill" visit:
1. Natural Family Planning Outreach: http://www.nfpoutreach.org
2. NFP International: http://www.nfpandmore.org
3. Couple to Couple League: http://www.ccli.org
4. Family of the America's:
5. Pope Paul VI Institute
If you would like to understand the rational for why the Catholic Church rejects artificial birth control read Pope Paul VI's 1968 encyclical HUMANAE VITAE: http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/pau...
For insights on living life in harmony with the mystery of God, and others, check out Pope John Paul II's LOVE & RESPONSIBILITY and THEOLOGY OF THE BODY.
A criticism however needs to be brought to these two aforementioned books. They're built on the premise that humanity is "fallen" and that the trajectory of mankind is to be redeemed back into its "original innocence." Once having entered this mindset of original innocence harmonious relationships follow. And I agree... it's definitely a good mindset to have, but it's not an innocence we lost from the "Fall" of Adam and Eve. I believe there was no "Fall", and the only innocence we're returning to is the innocence we felt as children.
Evolutionary biology is showing us that we are born from something more complex than the snap of God's fingers, and whatever our genesis, it includes severe conflict and competition. And this competition goes deep into our beings. For example, the book Sperm Wars by Robin Baker shows that a good portion of the sperm in a man's ejaculate is designed to fight and kill-off sperm from another male in the woman's cervix.
Reflection on this biological fact unwinds for me so much Christian theology, especially the premise referenced above in JP2's two books. They're built on Jesus words in Mathew 19:8... that before "the fall" man and woman (Adam and Eve) were one in marriage, and that it was a result of the fall we need to return to how it was "in the beginning."
Jesus is the supposed Redeemer who will deliver us to the harmony of how it was "in the beginning," but we know that the beginning was an awful place. Our physical bodies tell us that millions of years ago reproduction was a gang bang nightmare where after the men nearly fought to the death over who'd have the woman first, even then their sperm had to fight like gladiators. Is this God's design from 6000 years ago? I don't think so.
And it is because I can't reconcile traditional Catholic theology with science and its reasonable methods my conscience and prayer-life are being pushed to find a new understanding.
Today I argue that the Christian mission is not to have us return to some mythical Eden, but to have us evolve into our potential... to go where we have never been before. It's no longer Jesus as savior delivering us back to Eden's innocence, but Jesus as older, wiser friend inviting us over for dinner, and in that conversation, we discover for ourselves those areas that need maturity and purity.
It's a new Christology, and maybe it converts much of Jesus into allegory, but it connects the reality of evolutionary science with our human experience... and by that, I mean that deep quiet desire we all have to want to be more than we are and to live up to our potential. Jesus lived up to his potential, and modeling our lives after his brings out the virtues, which are universal and are not exclusive to any religion. [Side note: it just occurred to me that the virtues are nothing more than God's personality traits. This might be worthy of meditation.]
As a complement to this way of looking at life, I believe one's own personal physical nature is to be in harmony with the mind and spirit. Medicines are important in this as they help heal us when we're sick, but the contraceptive pill is not a medicine. It is not fixing something that is broken, it is breaking something that is working just fine (i.e., female fertility).
This is why I'm opposed to it, and I think there's a better way for couples to manage their reproduction. And, I think people should know the facts and risks regarding how "The Pill" may cause embryonic abortions. This alone should bother a lot of Christians, especially those precious few who still believe that although we are "fallen," that's not an excuse to be passive, but that we still have an obligation to try to live up to our potential.
Standard YouTube License
- 6:29 A Twin Lives Through an Abortion - CBN.comby CBNonlineFeatured 185,851
- 3:01 Abortion Pill | RU-486 | First Trimester Abortion Methodby unbornhumanrights 37,146 views
- 3:35 The Reality of Abortion.wmvby J Webb 2,254,898 views
- 4:23 Abortion - This is a Dilation and Extraction Abortionby Frank Pavone 742,045 views
- 2:46 An Overview of Abortion - 2-minute versionby DPMosteller 433,490 views
- 3:47 Teenagers and contraceptionby NHS Choices 2,175,091 views
- 5:25 ABORTION - THE SILENT SCREAM #1 / Part 1 / 01 / One / Pro-Life Anti-Abortion Videoby rosaryfilms 2,167,582 views
- 2:57 How To Use a Female Condomby NAFAmeriCorpsTeamDC 5,108,275 views
- 10:16 Abortby Hadar Ageyev 622,428 views
- 10:43 Embarazo y Aborto en Adolescentesby Dif Torreon 124,502 views
- 2:00 The morning-after pillby Yoinfluyo 18,658 views
- 5:20 12-year-old speaks out on the issue of abortionby Lia Mills 1,323,408 views
- 19 videos Play all Birth Control Videosby plannedparenthood
- 3:21 Abortion (M.T.P.) : Everywoman Cliniqby drrishmapai 9,455 views
- 9:36 Gianna Jessen Abortion Survivor in Australia Part 1by TellTheTruthTV 984,651 views
- 5:38 Love Spitters (Part 3 of 3) Pilotby Rich Seng 1,538 views
- 1:03 Need a quick ABORTION learn new ways that are more natural and SAFEby GrahamMcfadden30 24,685 views
- 9:25 ABORTION CLINIC LED MOM 2 BELIEVE THAT HER BABY WAS SUCESSFULY ABORTED, YET BABY WAS ALIVEby julia gallardo 315,664 views
- 9:06 Love Spitters (Part 1 of 3) Pilotby Rich Seng 1,867 views
- 5:33 Love Spitters (Part 2 of 3) Pilotby Rich Seng 1,528 views
- 6:43 What would you do? He's Not the Father, Would You Tell?by WWYDFan1 207,686 views
- Loading more suggestions...