Lawrence Wilkerson: 'My Party Is Full Of Racists'
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Oct 27, 2012
Colin Powell's former chief of staff condemned the Republican Party on Friday night, telling MSNBC's Ed Schultz, "My party is full of racists."
Retired Army Col. Lawrence Wilkerson made the comment in response to Mitt Romney campaign surrogate John Sununu's suggestion on Thursday that Powell's endorsement of President Barack Obama's re-election was motivated by race. Wilkerson, who served as Powell's chief of staff when the general was secretary of state during the first George W. Bush term, told Schultz that he respected Sununu "as a Republican, as a member of my party," but did not "have any respect for the integrity of the position that [Sununu] seemed to codify."
When asked by Schultz what, if anything, the remark said about the attitudes of the Republican Party, Wilkerson said:
My party, unfortunately, is the bastion of those people -- not all of them, but most of them -- who are still basing their positions on race. Let me just be candid: My party is full of racists, and the real reason a considerable portion of my party wants President Obama out of the White House has nothing to do with the content of his character, nothing to do with his competence as commander-in-chief and president, and everything to do with the color of his skin, and that's despicable.
The retired colonel also said that "to say that Colin Powell would endorse President Obama because of his skin color is like saying Mother Theresa worked for profit."
Powell, a Republican, endorsed Obama for the second time on Thursday morning -- he also backed the president in 2008 -- saying on CBS' "This Morning" that he was "more comfortable with President Obama and his administration" than with Romney on a host of issues.
Sununu, no stranger to incendiary rhetoric this election cycle, reacted to the endorsement on CNN's "Piers Morgan Tonight," saying that "when you take a look at Colin Powell, you have to wonder whether that's an endorsement based on issues or whether he's got a slightly different reason for preferring President Obama."
Standard YouTube License
- 8:04 Racist Rant Gets John Derbyshire Fired From National Reviewby The Young Turks Featured 55,888
- 29:47 Wilkerson on 9/11by TheRealNews14,108 views
- 6:27 Col. Wilkerson: Cheney Lied to & Used Colin Powell to Sell the Iraq Warby Attention1014,201 views
- 15:01 The Rachel Maddow Show - Racism revelation hits close to home for Romney campaignby Licentiathe8th6,328 views
- 2:43 karl rove melts down about mitt romney losingby Brandon Frank128,684 views
- 13:07 Face The Nation-Colin Powell responds to Dick Cheneyby CheneyWatch12,654 views
- 6:18 How Stupid are republicans?by mccainisthroughX94,329 views
- 1:07:55 General Colin Powell (6/7/12)by Commonwealth Club6,175 views
- 3:53 John Sununu Tells Soledad O'Brien "Put an Obama Bumper Sticker on Your Head When You Do This"by YouCruising1174,110 views
- 13:06 O'Reilly Confronts Colin Powell in Interview on Obama and GOP's Racial Politics - 1/29/13by MichaelSavage4Prez18,691 views
- 8:43 GEN Colin Powell Endorses President Obama!!by armyveteran101st5,989 views
- 3:35 General Colin Powell Bitchslaps sean hannity, mitt romney and the gopby mccainisthroughX106,889 views
- 7:31 Maddow: George W. Bush State Dept. Chief of Staff, Col. Lawrence Wilkerson, Blasts Republicansby incitebytes3,335 views
- 2:29 Republicans Say The Most Racist Thingsby Kalub Shipman16,168 views
- 2:23 Sarah Palin's Election Night Meltdownby TYT Shows504,626 views
- 10:04 Fox News Announces Re-Election Win of President Barack Obama - 11/06/12by inaka99430,042 views
- 11:18 The ED Show - Romney unleashes torrent of lies at debateby Licentiathe8th3,433 views
- 5:39 Young Voters vs. The Constitutionby BlazeOriginalVideo91,973 views
- 5:43 Incredibly Racist Republican Woman Caller to C-SPAN CSPANby David Pakman Show18,973 views
- 1:52 What if he were muslim? Colin Powell on Muslim Americans.by choowee116,145 views
- Loading more suggestions...