The Best Answer To The Deep Questions Of Existence
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 3, 2009
http://www.facebook.com/ScienceReason ... The Best Answer To The Deep Questions Of Existence. From the DVD "Break The Science Barrier" by Richard Dawkins.
Please SUBSCRIBE to Science & Reason:
Science is useful but that is not all it is. Science can be uplifting, thrilling, life-enhancing. Originally broadcast on Britain's Channel 4 in 1996, "Break the Science Barrier" follows the Oxford Biologist Richard Dawkins as he meets with people who have experienced the wonders of science first-hand.
We meet the astronomer who first discovered pulsars, the geneticist who invented DNA fingerprinting, a scientist who discovered a protein that causes cancer, and others. Richard Dawkins interviews famous admirers of science such as Douglas Adams and David Attenborough, and asks them why science means so much to them. We also see how dangerous ignorance of science can be in classrooms, courts, and beyond.
With so many expressing paranormal beliefs and ignorance of science, Dawkins encourages viewers to contrast these ancient superstitions with the power and beauty of our scientific achievements and understanding.
Richard Dawkins is a British ethologist, evolutionary biologist and popular science author. He was formerly Professor for Public Understanding of Science at Oxford University. He was voted Britain's leading public intellectual by readers of Prospect magazine and was named one of Time Magazine's "100 Most Influential People" for 2007.
Dawkins came to prominence with his 1976 book "The Selfish Gene", which popularised the gene-centred view of evolution and introduced the term "meme". He is a prominent critic of creationism and intelligent design. In his 1986 book "The Blind Watchmaker", he argued against the watchmaker analogy, an argument for the existence of a supernatural creator based upon the complexity of living organisms. Instead, he described evolutionary processes as analogous to a blind watchmaker. He has since written several popular science books, and makes regular television and radio appearances, predominantly discussing these topics.
Dawkins is an atheist, secular humanist, sceptic, scientific rationalist, and supporter of the Brights movement. In his 2006 book "The God Delusion", he contends that a supernatural creator almost certainly does not exist and that faith qualifies as a delusion − as a fixed false belief.
If you enjoy the video and would like to support the work of The Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science, please purchase the program on DVD at http://richarddawkins.net/store/
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Concerto grosso in D minor, Op. 3, No. 5" on
New Leipzig Bach Collegium Musicum & Max Pommer
- 7:42 Jesus and the Interpreter. A modern-day christian helps Jesus get started.by NonStampCollector Featured 264,819
- 7:00 Blasphemy Is A Victimless Crimeby FFreeThinker47,215 views
- 4:11 The Value Of Science: Richard Dawkins And Sir David Attenboroughby FFreeThinker18,241 views
- 2:56 Richard Dawkins On The 'Cult of Atheism'by FFreeThinker22,577 views
- 4:34 'I Am Offended!' - Richard Dawkins @ UC Berkeleyby FFreeThinker688,135 views
- 3:39 Richard Dawkins Proves: Science Works!by FFreeThinker21,394 views
- 6:46 Evolution Is Only A Theoryby FFreeThinker180,630 views
- 6:32 Becoming Godlike Creaturesby FFreeThinker18,711 views
- 5:51 If there is no God... - The Atheist Experience #654by TheAtheistExperience93,609 views
- 10:16 How Religious Ideas Parasitise The Brain - Dr. Andy Thomson @ W&L Law Schoolby FFreeThinker12,859 views
- 34:21 Richard Dawkins - Evolutionary Biologist - Big Think - discussing a multitude of scientific topicsby TheSasss127,136 views
- 2:04 There's Probably No God! - Richard Dawkins, Ariane Sherine, And The Atheist Bus Ad Campaignby FFreeThinker184,375 views
- 9:24 Criticism On Religious Scientistsby FFreeThinker96,653 views
- 5:50 The Comfort Of Religion And The Purpose Of Lifeby FFreeThinker30,085 views
- 5:38 Delusion And Happinessby FFreeThinker38,505 views
- 2:18 'You're A Fraud!' - Richard Dawkins' Biggest Fan @ University Of Oklahomaby FFreeThinker231,195 views
- 2:57 Barack Obama On Science And Charles Darwinby FFreeThinker426,022 views
- 2:06 Will Religion Ever Disappear?by FFreeThinker51,748 views
- 3:06 Intelligent Design vs. Evolution: Teach The Controversy!by FFreeThinker31,178 views
- 8:54 The Arrogant Certainty Of Science - Richard Dawkins @ Pop!Tech (1)by FFreeThinker61,037 views
- Loading more suggestions...