Radley Balko on the 3 Worst Cases of Police Abuse in 2011
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 28, 2011
Due to the violence depicted and discussed in this video, viewer discretion is advised.
The 1991 beating of Rodney King by the Los Angeles Police Department, which came to light after being caught on video by a citizen trying out a video camera, ushered in a new age of transparency and openness when it comes to law enforcement.
Since then, sound and vision from any number of sources - including cell-phone cams and pocket recorders, not to mention footage shot by police themselves - have captured law enforcement in action in a wide range of circumstances. Sometimes, the footage exonerates the police and sometimes it incriminates them. Always, though, we as citizens gain from having a better sense of how law enforcement operates, even (or especially) when what we see is hugely disturbing.
Reason.tv's Nick Gillespie talked with Reason columnist Radley Balko, proprietor of The Agitator and a long-time student of the increasing militarization of police. We asked Balko to talk about he thinks are the three most-schocking videos of police abuse that have come to light so far in 2011.
Ironically, Balko notes that widespread video of police at work gives rise to the misimpression that such violent abuse is on the rise while police are almost certainly more respectful of civil liberties than they were 50 or 60 years ago. He argues that it's precisely because citizens and watchdogs (including many with the law enforcement community) have more tools at their disposal to ferret out abuse that better practices are being employed.
Approximately 5.30 minutes. Shot and edited by Josh Swain, with camera assists by Meredith Bragg and Jim Epstein.
For longer videos of the incidents show in the interview, go http://reason.tv/video/show/radley-ba....
Go to http://www.reason.tv for downloadable versions of this video and subscribe to Reason.tv's YouTube channel for automatic notifications when new material goes live.
Standard YouTube License
- 49:01 Police brutality compilation of the week March 12 to March 26 2013)by add Zion281,428 views
- 37:10 Police Brutality Worse than Rodney King - The Robert Leone Storyby Larry Hohol1,663,682 views
- 10:59 Radley Balko on MSNBC discusses police militarization and Rise Of The Warrior Copby varfrab645,769 views
- 7:57 Cops Vs. Cameras: The Killing of Kelly Thomas & The Power of New Mediaby ReasonTV161,259 views
- 0:21 Police violence against June Textile factory workers on 08 May 2011by KI Letters21,556 views
- 4:38 POLICE BRUTALITY - Cops Beat Down Another Cop's Son. Then Falsify Reports.aviby MediaRuger178,266 views
- 5:24 John Stossel - Police Militarizationby LibertyPen14,345 views
- 111 videos Play all POLICE BRUTALITYby johnleivaproject
- 2:21 Woman claims police brutality, evidence on tapeby WTNH88,758 views
- 25:44 Inside Story Americas - Have US police forces become too militarised?by LatestNewsPlatform301 views
- 28:50 Walter Williams: Up From the Projectsby ReasonTV54,693 views
- 8:26 The Government's War on Cameras!by ReasonTV218,339 views
- 5:22 Another Police Brutality Video of SPD Det. Shandy Cobaneby BulliesWithABadge6,382 views
- 1:59 Family Wins Record $10 Million Dollars When Cop Slams Innocent Man Causing Coma!by DanceRooster758,817 views
- 4:44 Police brutality on a US news channel? (you decide)by caindabomb863,304 views
- 2:25 BREAKING NEWS Police Brutality In Jamaica: Police Kills Man Cold-Blooded! (Caught On Tape)by ishamel shiya95,099 views
- 11:20 #OccupyOakland: Worst Police Brutality in Oakland Protest History 10-25-2011by HereWeProtest16,352 views
- 1:18 POLICE BRUTALITY - Officer Tasers 10 Year Old Girlby UrbanWarfareChannel31,170 views
- 9:37 You're Killing Me! Was a police-related jailhouse death an accident or a homicide?by ReasonTV48,324 views
- 3:02 POLICE BRUTALITY - Cop Beats, Peppersprays & Tasers Handicapped Teen For Having Speech Impedimentby UrbanWarfareChannel8,480 views