Port of Poverty and Pollution Seattle Flashmob
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Sep 22, 2011
Creative protesters and pranksters teamed up to stage the Battle in Seattle 2011 during the 100th American Association of Port Authorities convention to peacefully disrupt business-as-usual bureaucrats from their not-so-best practices workshops. Together these environmental, labor, community and justice-seeking clergy activists roamed the downtown streets, slipping mock conference agendas (http://bit.ly/pDS3g9) underneath all 900 rooms of the Westin, while a covert projection team from the Rainforest Action Network shone a massive Batsignal-like light on the Space Needle and elsewhere to greet visiting officials with a simple message: "Welcome to the Port of Pollution & Poverty" (http://bit.ly/poPtZl). The guerilla tactics continued all week, with these gals (and guy) posing as attendees to pull off this satirical Flash Mob produced by Puget Sound Sage -- set to a tune in a Black Eyed Peas style -- which gave everyone a feeling that the ports of this nation are just not right.
These progressive critics of environmentally unsustainable, economically irresponsible, and morally reprehensible port policies elevated the profile of the controversial dealings between U.S. port officials and companies like the Seattle-based SSA Marine, co-owned by Wall Street titan Goldman Sachs. The powerful global logistics giant recently struck a deal with the Port of Seattle to get a huge rent break on their marine terminal while their profitable trucking affiliate refuses to purchase the clean fleets our communities need, sucks the cost of low-emissions equipment from its low-paid drivers' paychecks, and denies these workers their collective bargaining rights. Now, Goldman's SSA Marine intends to build export terminals along the Washington coast to ship coal to overseas markets.
Help us stop port officials like Tay Yoshitani from using the public dime for corporate polluters' profiteering. Learn more at http://cleanandsafeports.org.
Like Puget Sound Sage on Facebook (http://fb.com/pugetsoundsage) Share and sign our petitions. You know the drill: The "Teamsters & Turtles 2.0" are inviting you to help make our movement...louder.
Standard YouTube License
- 9:07 Georgia Ports Authorityby toddmgreve273 views
- 9:05 Earth Day Flash Mob.wmvby Dance4Oceans426 views
- 18:00 Puget Sound Sage: Below the Radar reportby PugetSoundSage116 views
- 3:09 Top 10 Biggest Ports in the Worldby marineinsight13,653 views
- 7:26 Prayer Breakfast for Port of Seattle Truck Driversby PugetSoundSage1,485 views
- 3:42 Think Local Seattleby ThinkLocalSeattle3,464 views
- 9:45 Occupy Protesters Set Up Barricade To Shutdown Port Of Seattleby MOXNEWSd0tC0M9,887 views
- 6:41 Rising as Oneby PugetSoundSage153 views
- 15:12 Dirty Waters: Cashing in on Ocean Pollutionby Joe Trento828 views
- 3:48 FREEZE Flash Mob on ETSU campusby East Tenn MMP702 views
- 5:24 Occupy San Diego Flash Mob Invades Wal-Martby Paranoid4areason26,298 views
- 3:22 9/11 First Responder Occupying Wall Streetby OccupyWallStreet21,358 views
- 9:57 "Ending Poverty, Not Welfare," WEJ TANF Briefing, Washington, D.C., Feb. 25, 2010 - 2nd of 7 clipsby WEJustice1,478 views
- 50:11 Puerto Seguro - Un encuentro (1997) - [Álbum completo / Full album]by JzqRocks36,361 views
- 5:42 James Morrison Flash Mobs Bluestone Wine Lounge at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialtoby InterConMelbourne19,115 views
- 4:24 Puget Sound Sage: Transformation from the Ground Upby PugetSoundSage4 views
- 15:21 Brasil, quem paga é você - Ferrovias e portosby CesarBlumenau10,683 views
- 8:54 Как открыть порт ?by Jakson Qwear16,906 views
- 8:00 Rotterdam Your World Class Portby Havenbedrijf Rotterdam42,620 views
- 14:49 Breathing Uneasy: The Air Pollution Crisis in South Seattle | KCTS 9 CONNECTSby KCTS9174 views
- Loading more suggestions...