Lawrence O'Donnell To President Obama: Remove Bible From Inauguration
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jan 11, 2013
Rather than search for a replacement for Pastor Louie Giglio, who was forced to withdraw from reciting the benediction at President Obama's upcoming inauguration, Lawrence O'Donnell has another idea: remove the Bible altogether.
Giglio's statments about the "aggressive homosexual movement," uncovered by ThinkProgress, were so abhorrent and inconsistent with the president's views, that Giglio stepped aside on his own before the inauguration committee could ask him to leave.
After reviewing some of Giglio's offensive language, O'Donnell turned his attention to the statement released by the Presidential Inaugural Committee, who said they were "not aware" of the Pastor's comments when they selected him. And "as we now work to select someone to deliver the benediction, we will ensure their beliefs reflect this administration's vision of inclusion and acceptance for all Americans."
O'Donnell found this new search to be a tricky task for the committee, re-framing it as, "In other words, we will ensure that whoever delivers the benediction rejects the same parts of the Bible that President Obama rejects and most Democrats reject, even though every word of the Bible is the word of God."
Citing examples such as "burning prostitutes at the stake," O'Donnell went on to posit that there is no one left on earth who truly agrees with everything in the Bible. "Still, the president, following one of our most absurdest traditions in the government that invented the separation of church and state, will put his hand on this book filled with things he does not believe — filled with things that no one in the United States of America believes — and with his hand on this book he will recite the oath of office."
Towards the end of the "Rewrite" segment, O'Donnell offered up his own idea for a new inauguration tradition. "Now, wouldn't it be better if the president's hand was on the shoulder of one of his daughters, suggesting that he was honoring the oath of office as much as he honors Sasha and Malia?"
But O'Donnell knows that won't happen. As he did four years ago, President Obama will be sworn in as president with his hand on a Bible held by First Lady Michelle Obama. O'Donnell notes that this will be the second time a descendent of slaves will hold the inauguration Bible. "But the holy book she will be holding does not contain one word of God condemning slavery." But, he adds, that same book "does indeed manage to find the space repeatedly to condemn gay people."
"And as the First Lady holds that book for the president, sitting somewhere near them will be a pastor who the Inauguration Committee will make sure is much more adept at hiding what that book actually says than Louis Giglio was."
Standard YouTube License
- 23:23 ASA HUTCHINSON vs LAWRENCE O'DONNELLby MOXNEWSd0tC0M 1,544 views
- 6:12 Lawrence O'Donnell Says Farewell To Sarah Palin She Has No Political Relevaceby Jay Bieb 5,088 views
- 10:07 Lawrence O'Donnell: "Why Obama's Fiscal Cliff Deal is So 'Awesome!'"by politicalarticles 1,701 views
- 8:05 Welcome To Your Republican Future: Government Of, By and For The Anti-Science Bible-Thumpersby incitebytes 7,477 views
- 7:30 Rewrite: Beck says Lawrence O'Donnell's on an anti-god networkby SmallFrey 1,660 views
- 5:18 BARACK OBAMA: "NADIE PUEDE VIVIR BAJO LA LEY DE LA BIBLIA"by jjvalderrabano 8,091 views
- 12:10 Lawrence O'Donnell Eviscerates NRA 'Poster Boy' Tom Selleckby NewsPoliticsToday 2,416 views
- 1:15:57 The United States In Bible Prophecyby John Durr 22,743 views
- 51:40 May 6 2013 End times news update 4-12-13 David Hocking - Pre-Tribulation Rapture -by u2bheavenbound 7,010 views
- 10:31 Both Quran & Bible Were Written By MEN Who Were WRONG!by CRUClEFICTION 10,784 views
- 7:39 Inauguration 2013: President Obama Official Oath of Officeby ABCNews 115,510 views
- 6:01 Lawrence O'Donnell On Rush Limbaugh-Bill O'Reilly's Gay Marriage Feud: 'They Hate Each Other'by ThePrincessHira 1,069 views
- 7:15 Lawrence O'Donnell - Pastor To The Tea Party David Barton Is A Dangerous Quackby SuchIsLifeVideos 7,209 views
- 2:50 Donald Trump: Bill Maher Horribly Insults my Parents, If He Doesn't Pay $5M pledge, I will Sue Himby YouHotNews 37,982 views
- 7:16 Lawrence O'Donnell - Dan Savage On DADT Repeal & Michele Bachmannby SuchIsLifeVideos 13,076 views
- 1:23 President Obama St. John's Episcopal Church Arrival Inauguration Day (January 21, 2013)by DefinitelyAbsolute 1,997 views
- 32:20 Mid-East Prophecy Update - May 12th, 2013by JD Farag 11,047 views
- 5:29 BREAKING CBS NEWS - OBAMAS BIRTH CERTICATE FAKE- CONFIRMEDby David Vose 740,681 views
- 5:32 Lawrence O' Donnell Talks To Keith Olbermann About Senateby Fred Ferkleheimer 1,452 views
- 4:42 Pres. Barack Obama Disrespects God & The Bible - In His "Own Words"by F Obamastein 1,205 views
- Loading more suggestions...