Shane McGowan & The Popes - Irish Rover (From "Live In Montreux 1995")
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 20, 2008
For more info -
Shane MacGowan first came to prominence as the frontman and principal songwriter of The Pogues performing huge international hits such as Fairytale Of New York and The Irish Rover. After splitting from the band in 1991 he reappeared with a new band, The Popes, who released their debut album The Snake in 1995. He remains an iconic figure in Irish music.
During the tour to support the release of their album, Shane and The Popes played the Montreux Jazz Festival on July 15, 1995. The show combines tracks from the Snake album such as Nancy Whiskey, Donegal Express and Bring Down The Lamp with Pogues classics such as If I Should Fall From Grace With God, Streams Of Whiskey, A Pair Of Brown Eyes and The Irish Rover along with a rousing version of the Hippy Hippy Shake that's so good they have to play it twice!
This track is from the Eagle Vision DVD "Live in Montreux 1995", available now.
On the fourth of July eighteen hundred and six
We set sail from the sweet cove of Cork
We were sailing away with a cargo of bricks
For the grand city hall in New York
'Twas a wonderful craft, she was rigged fore-and-aft
And oh, how the wild winds drove her.
She'd got several blasts, she'd twenty-seven masts
And we called her the Irish Rover.
We had one million bales of the best Sligo rags
We had two million barrels of stones
We had three million sides of old blind horses hides,
We had four million barrels of bones.
We had five million hogs, we had six million dogs,
Seven million barrels of porter.
We had eight million bails of old nanny goats' tails,
In the hold of the Irish Rover.
There was awl Mickey Coote who played hard on his flute
When the ladies lined up for his set
He was tootin' with skill for each sparkling quadrille
Though the dancers were fluther'd and bet
With his sparse witty talk he was cock of the walk
As he rolled the dames under and over
They all knew at a glance when he took up his stance
And he sailed in the Irish Rover
There was Barney McGee from the banks of the Lee,
There was Hogan from County Tyrone
There was Jimmy McGurk who was scarred stiff of work
And a man from Westmeath called Malone
There was Slugger O'Toole who was drunk as a rule
And fighting Bill Tracey from Dover
And your man Mick McCann from the banks of the Bann
Was the skipper of the Irish Rover
We had sailed seven years when the measles broke out
And the ship lost it's way in a fog.
And that whale of the crew was reduced down to two,
Just meself and the captain's old dog.
Then the ship struck a rock, oh Lord what a shock
The bulkhead was turned right over
Turned nine times around, and the poor dog was drowned
I'm the last of the Irish Rover
Standard YouTube License
- 49 videos Play all YouTube Mix
- 2:10 Johnny Cash - I Walk The Line (From "Live at Montreux" DVD)by Eagle RockFeatured 4,101,623
- 3:35 Johnny Cash - Ghost Riders In The Sky (Live At Montreux)by eaglerocktv 7,081,729 views
- 7:36 Gary Moore & The Midnight Blues Band - Still Got The Blues (Live At Montreux 1990)by eaglerocktv 1,188,078 views
- 5:55 Shadows - Apache (The Final Tour)by Eagle Rock 2,982,252 views
- 4:18 Going Out In Style (Uncensored) - Dropkick Murphysby Mark Higgins 1,332,134 views
- 15 videos Play all irish penny whistle and poguesby wilbersj
- 4:14 Sinead O'Connor & Shane MacGowan - Haunted (ZANG 65)by Zang Tuum Television 1,977,195 views
- 9:36 Shane MacGowan - Frank Skinner Nov 2004 (1/2)by garteh 359,243 views
- 19:00 The Pogues: Live Concert 1985by Mitch's youtube channel 805,508 views
- 8:11 The pogues - The Band Played Waltzing Matildaby zinerytee 611,994 views
- 5:17 Fairytale of New York - Shane McGowan & Joyce Redmondby pddybrry 305,565 views
- 4:03 Her Father Didn't Like Me Anyway - Shane MacGowan and the Popesby Jim Smith 101,437 views
- 3:27 Paddy Public Enemy No. 1 - Shane Macgowan & The Popesby OztarAntoine 113,383 views
- 3:39 The Pogues - The Irish Roverby nornironjonny 292,380 views
- 3:33 Shane Macgowan liveby mail426353 342,594 views
- 2:57 Shane MacGowan & the Popes - What's Another Yearby thecatkeaton 135,660 views
- 8:45 Shane MacGowan on the Danny Baker Showby antmusique 694,032 views
- 8:09 And the band played Waltzing Mathildaby Aurélien Roulland 1,256,042 views
- 6:47 Dire Straits - Money For Nothing (Live At Knebworth)by eaglerocktv 16,780,279 views
- 3:47 Dropkick Murphy's - The Dirty Glassby creeper76 473,101 views
- 2:41 The Pogues & The Dubliners - Whisky In The Jar (original)by Schwenboy90 1,060,307 views
- Loading more suggestions...