Dornier Do 335 Pfeil (Arrow) - fastest piston engine fighter of WW2
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 3, 2010
French ace Pierre Clostermann encounter with a Pfeil in April 1945. He describes leading a pack of four Hawker Tempests from 3 Squadron RAF when he intercepted a lone Do 335 flying at maximum speed at treetop level. Despite the Tempest's considerable low altitude speed, the RAF fighters were not able to catch up or even get into firing position.!!
The Dornier Do 335 Pfeil ("Arrow") was a World War II heavy fighter built by the Dornier company. The two-seater trainer version was also called Ameisenbär ("anteater"). The Pfeil's performance was much better than other twin-engine designs due to its unique "push-pull" layout and the much lower drag of the in-line alignment of the two engines.
There are many advantages to this design over the more traditional system of placing one engine on each wing, the most important being power from two engines with the frontal area (and thus drag) of a single-engine design, allowing for higher performance. It also keeps the weight of the twin powerplants near, or on, the aircraft centerline, increasing the roll rate compared to a traditional twin. In addition, a single engine failure does not lead to asymmetric thrust, and in normal flight there is no net torque so the plane is easy to handle. The choice of a full "four-surface" set of cruciform tail surfaces in the Do 335's rear fuselage design, included a ventral vertical fin--rudder assembly to project downwards from the extreme rear of the fuselage, in order to protect the rear propeller from an accidental ground strike on takeoff.
At least 16 Do 335s were known to have flown (V1--V12, W.Nr 230001-230012 and Müster-series prototypes M13--M17, W.Nr 230013-230017) on a number of DB603 engines including the DB603A, A-2, G-0, E and E-1. The first preproduction Do 335 (A-0s) starting with W.Nr 240101, Stammkennzeichen VG+PG, were delivered in July 1944. Approximately 22 preproduction aircraft were thought to have been completed and flown before the end of the war, including approximately 11 A-0s converted to A-11s for training purposes.
General characteristics Crew: 1, pilot Length: 45 ft 5 in (13.85 m) Wingspan: 45 ft 1 in (13.8 m) Height: 15 ft (4.55 m) Wing area: 592 ft² (55 m²) Empty weight: 11,484 lb (5,210 kg) Max takeoff weight: 19,500 lb (8,590 kg) Powerplant: 2× Daimler-Benz DB 603A 12-cylinder inverted engines, 1,287 kW, 1,726 hp (1,750 PS) each
Performance Maximum speed: 474 mph (765 km/h) Combat radius: 721 mi (1,160 km (half load)) Service ceiling: 37,400 ft (11,400 m)
Armament 1 × 30 mm (1.18 in) MK 103 cannon (as forward engine-mounted Motorkanone) 2 × 20 mm MG 151/20 cowl-mount, synchronized autocannons Up to 1,000 kg (2,200 lb) bombload
Standard YouTube License
- 54:24 World War II Fighters: Focke Wulf 190by SUPERIOR HISTORY Featured 337,210
- 45:03 Greatest Mysteries of WWII: Hitler's Stealth Fighter (720P)by SUPERIOR HISTORY5,619,103 views
- 43:00 World War II Aircraft: Secret Japanese Aircraftby SUPERIOR HISTORY686,925 views
- 42:57 World War II: Weird Axis Weapons, Part II (720p)by SUPERIOR HISTORY644,698 views
- 40:24 Secret Luftwaffe Aircraft Of WWIIby TheKidStellar215,143 views
- 39:59 World War II Fighters: Messerschmitt ME-262by SUPERIOR HISTORY84,088 views
- 25:31 The Rear Gunner (1943)by nuclearvault303,392 views
- 11:26 Luftwaffe Finis: The End of the German Air Force 1945, Restored Colorby ZenosWarbirds49,476 views
- 44:10 Third Reich - Operation UFO (Nazi Base In Antarctica) Complete Documentaryby Elf Wave1,602,251 views
- 48:55 Planes That Never Flew 1 / 4: The Last Rocket Fighter (720p)by SUPERIOR HISTORY121,185 views
- 5:13 WW2 Shocking P-47 video,coloured and realby kokangerko2,479,353 views
- 7:03 Luftwaffe Ta 152 High Altitude Interceptor (Designer Kurt Tank)by spottydog4477213,291 views
- 4:01 WW2 - German Railroad guns in action - World War Two military trainby Finding The Best Of Youtube1,389,453 views
- 9:03 [WWII History 2009-02-03 HQ] Secret Allied Aircraft of World War Two 3/5by cctv7military202,892 views
- 7:40 WWII Wings Over Italy Dogfights Gun Camera & Ground Attackby ChampionFx187,201 views
- 7:16 The Five Worst Weapons Still in Use - Truthloaderby Truthloader1,345,058 views
- 8:17 De Dora van Waasmunsterby CynrikDD490,560 views
- 5:51 DOGFIGHTS, P38 LIGHTNING VS ME 109by colacas1,842,161 views
- 6:44 Flying the Me 262by Jim1410377,075 views
- 9:52 The Atomic Bomber p.3(5)by Anat0ly1,438,543 views
- Loading more suggestions...