Flowers are better than bullets
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Aug 20, 2009
Allison Krause (April 23, 1951 - May 4, 1970) was an honors student at Kent State University, Ohio, when she was shot and killed by the Ohio National Guard in the Kent State shootings, while protesting the invasion of Cambodia and the presence of the National Guard on the Kent State campus.The Guardsmen opened fire on a group of unarmed students, killing four of them, at an average distance of about 106 meters. Allison was shot in the left side of her body at about 105 meters fatally wounding her. She died from her injuries later that same day.
Altogether, sixty-seven shots were fired by the Guardsmen in 13 seconds.The other students killed in the shootings were Jeffrey Glenn Miller, Sandra Lee Scheuer and William Knox Schroeder. In addition, nine other students were wounded in the gunfire.
The shootings led to protests and a national student strike, causing hundreds of campuses to close because of both violent and non-violent demonstrations. The Kent State campus remained closed for six weeks. Five days after the shootings, 100,000 people demonstrated in Washington, D.C. against the war.
In our house growing up, my dad controlled what we watched on TV. He didn't watch it very often but when he did it was the news, documentaries and variety shows. So that's what I watched and I got to hear, speak and argue with him about the important subjects of the day as a result.
So I remember like it was yesterday when those 4 students were murdered at Kent State...and I can remember that my father thought they had it coming. It was a shock to me that he could feel that way and looking back...we argued a lot more after that day about pretty much everything.
I think the reason Allison Krause is such a large figure in my life is because of her youth, beauty and how men dressed up as soldiers could just shoot her down for saying what she believed to be true. Of course we now know, all these years later, that what she believed WAS true. I mourned her murder then as now and I will always remember her.
I made this vid a few years ago and it was like picking at a wound that had never quite healed properly. I don't suppose it ever will. Looking at it today brought back all the anguish I felt as a nine year old child. I don't think I really knew the significance of it all back then? but I felt connected and like it was "Us against them"... and I did know that a line had been crossed by my fathers generation and that they were starting to kill us now.
I will remember you always Allison.
The family of Allison Krause seeks and supports the creation of Four Days In May, the Kent State Truth Tribunal, a collaborative, multimedia, sharing event to dialog, document, discover and uncover the truth in the events leading to the killing of four students and wounding of nine at the Kent State Massacre.
Re-examine Kent State now, lets finally get the Truth Out! Read more:
► http://yy.vc/KentStateNow ◄
Standard YouTube License
- 9:12 Kent State Shootings 40th Anniversary part2 ~ Jerry M. Lewisby Fluxview, USAFeatured 3,227
- 22:34 Four Dead in Ohioby Al Jazeera English 6,997 views
- 4:27 FIRST NATIONby Wally Wynn 2,473 views
- 4:14 For Annie Mae Pictou Aquashby Wally Wynn 1,396 views
- 6:05 Barry Levine speaking on Allison Krause. 5.4.10 pt.2by fadeddragon2469 584 views
- 3:07 Four Dead in Ohio (Kent State Shootings in 1970)by Blake O'Connell 96,873 views
- 7:14 Kent State Documentaryby Reading01867dotcom 16,462 views
- 2:38 Kent State Massacre Order to Shoot May 4 1970by Arcturus aReaganDesignee 19,841 views
- 10:36 Kent State Shooting 30th Anniversary Part 2by KentArchives 5,260 views
- 3:38 The Greatest Speech Ever Madeby Find The Others 11,752,068 views
- 4:16 Kent State Shooting 30th Anniversary Part 1by KentArchives 16,538 views
- 5:47 School Shootings (TV Shows, OTH, AHS!)by Monika Pejkovska 3,327 views
- 3:18 Country Joe & the Fish -- Vietnam songby 54nono53 1,584,609 views
- 40:59 Crosby, Stills & Nash - Crosby, Stills & Nash (Full Album)by Shine on you, crazy diamond 461,619 views
- 3:21 Gretchen Wilson&Merle Haggard-Politically Uncorrectby Emrah Güven 588,939 views
- 5:36 Kent State, May 3rd, 1970 with Mary Ann Vecchioby Fred Burton 8,917 views
- 1:32 Bison Charges at Touristby roggezzinho 431,715 views
- 9:38 Gmod Idiot Box WTF BOOM scenesby Has-Audom Moy 244,242 views
- 4:40 Crosby Stills Nash - Southern Crossby GreatOldiesDJ's channel 1,136,404 views
- 3:39 may4_burr.movby TheBurrMagazine 629 views
- Loading more suggestions...