OCCUPY OAKLAND Police launch tear gas, flash bang canisters into crowd of protesters OWS Wall Street
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Oct 25, 2011
"Authorities have denied reports that they used flash bang canisters to help break up the crowds, saying the loud noises came from large firecrackers thrown at police by protesters."
October 25, 2011 — OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) — Dozens of police in riot gear and hundreds of protesters in support of the Occupy Wall Street movement engaged in a game of cat-and-mouse in downtown Oakland on Tuesday, with authorities using tear gas to respond to demonstrators' repeated agitations.
The latest such skirmish came around 10:30 PDT as some protesters began throwing bottles among a crowd that had reconvened in front of City Hall, where a haze of chemical smoke still hung in the air following a similar clash at the site about an hour earlier.
It was the fourth time police used tear gas in three hours. Authorities have denied reports that they used flash bang canisters to help break up the crowds, saying the loud noises came from large firecrackers thrown at police by protesters. Police also report being attacked with rocks.
City Hall has been the site of conflict throughout the day. Authorities used a pre-dawn raid to dismantle an Occupy Wall Street encampment that had taken over a plaza outside the government headquarters for more than two weeks.
Police removed about 170 demonstrators who had been staying in the area overnight after repeatedly being warned that such a camp was illegal and they faced arrest by remaining. City officials said 97 people were arrested in the morning raid.
Helicopters scanned the area late Tuesday and scores of officers wearing helmets and carrying clubs patrolled the streets as protesters gathered only a few feet away. The first scuffle broke out after hundreds of people made their way back to City Hall in an attempt to re-establish a presence in the area of the dispersed camp.
The protesters gathered at a library and marched through downtown Oakland and ultimately were met by police officers in riot gear. Several small skirmishes broke out and officers cleared the area by firing tear gas.
The scene has repeated itself several times since. But each time officers move to disburse the crowd, protesters quickly gather again in assemblies that authorities have declared illegal. Acting Police Chief Howard Jordan told reporters at a late night news conference that authorities had no other choice, saying the protesters were throwing rocks and bottles at officers.
"We had to deploy gas to stop the crowd," he said, according to a KCBS report. City officials say that two officers were injured. At least five protesters were arrested and several others injured in the evening clashes.
The Oakland site was among numerous camps that have sprung up around the country, as protesters rally against what they see as corporate greed and a wide range of other economic issues. The protests have attracted a wide range of people, including college students looking for work and the homeless.
In Oakland, tensions between the city and protesters have been escalating since last week as officials complained about what they described as deteriorating safety, sanitation and health issues at the site of the dismantled camp.
Associated Press reporter Marcus Wohlsen contributed to this report. Copyright Mail.com, AssociatedPress, KTVU
Standard YouTube License
- 5:32 [Orignal full version] 1 Marine vs. 30 Cops (By. J. handy)by BklynJHandyFeatured 9,070,568
- 4:43 Occupy Oakland: The Battle of Oak Streetby brandon jourdan 40,490 views
- 8:27 Dozens Arrested at Occupy Oakland as Police Raid Encampment, Tear Down Tentsby democracynow 24,727 views
- 1:17 Cops throw flash grenade into a crowd helping fallen veteran + used rubber bullets foundby PlanetEarthAwakens01 16,951 views
- 19:15 MAY DAY MAYHEM IN OAKLAND: Occupy continues on their Destructive Pathby TeaPartyTelevision 10,632 views
- 9:32 Oakland Cops Fire Tear Gas (MSNBC Olberman)by OccupyNM 6,520 views
- 5:40 Massive Police Assault on Occupy Oaklandby SamSeder 15,540 views
- 11:20 CBS - San Francisco - October 25-26th 2011 - Occupy Oakland Attack on Peaceful Protestorsby theblackpacket 11,756 views
- 11:18 Outraged Marine speaks out on Occupy Oakland attackby RTAmerica 34,417 views
- 1:41 Copwatch@Occupy Oakland: Beware of Police Infiltrators and Provocateursby Jacobzladder 184,133 views
- 10:41 Snatch and Grab, Arrests, and Tear Gas at Occupy Oakland 5-1-2012by billmarczak 20,183 views
- 1:04 Police crackdown on Occupy Oaklandby RTAmerica 44,245 views
- 2:45 Aftermath of the raid of OccupyOakland 10-25-11by biggaymormon 25,112 views
- 2:23 Reports of police using tear gas & rubber bullets on Occupy Oakland Protestersby PlanetEarthAwakens01 3,170 views
- 6:07 Occupy Oakland Satellite Camp, Snow Park, gets raided by OPD!by OakFoSho 12,360 views
- 1:19 Occupy Oakland Protester admits bottles were thrown at Police BEFORE police respondedby Deep Atrax 144,570 views
- 10:53 Police raid Occupy Oakland, Oct 25, 5amby guslto99 50,388 views
- 8:21 Anonymous Speaks! 03/05/2011by ipollesion 95,765 views
- 2:49 Police Use Force Against Occupy Oakland Demonstrators - October 25, 2011by kpfanews 36,378 views
- 3:36 INSANE! Cops fire Tear Gas at Protesters at Occupy Wall Street protest in Oaklandby JPB209 6,144 views
- Loading more suggestions...