Challenger Disaster Live on CNN
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 24, 2007
January 28th, 1986 at 11:39am EDT - The Space Shuttle Challenger Explodes on its 10th flight during mission STS-51-L. The explosion occurred 73 seconds after liftoff and was actually the result of rapid deceleration and not combustion of fuel.
CNN was the only national news station to broadcast the mission live, so thus what you are witnessing on this video is the only coverage of the disaster as it happened when it did. Approximately 17% of Americans witnessed the launch live, while 85% of Americans heard of the news within 1 hour of the event. According to a study, only 2 other times in history up to that point had news of an event disseminated so fast - the first being the announcement of JFK's assassination in 1963, the second being news spread among students at Kent State regarding the news of FDR's death in 1945. It has been estimated at the time that nearly 48% of 9-13 year olds witnessed the event in their classrooms, as McAuliffe was in the spotlight.
The 25th Space Shuttle mission altered the history of manned space exploration and represented the first loss of an American crew during a space mission (Apollo 1 was during a training exercise).
Christa McAuliffe was slated to be the first teacher in space for the Teacher in Space Program. As her maximum altitude was ~65,000ft (12.31 miles), she never made it to space. That title was given to Barbara Morgan of STS-118 aboard the shuttle Endeavour in August 2007, 22 and a half years after the Challenger Disaster. Morgan served as McAuliffe's backup during STS-51-L. As Morgan is now part of the Educator in Space Program, she will be credited as the first "educator" in space, to distinguish her from McAuliffe.
Aboard Challenger during STS-51-L:
Francis "Dick" Scobee (Commander)
Michael Smith (Pilot)
Judith Resnik (Mission Specialist)
Ellison Onizuka (Mission Specialist)
Ronald McNair (Mission Specialist)
Gregory Jarvis (Payload Specialist)
Sharon Christa McAuliffe (Payload Specialist - Teacher in Space)
Standard YouTube License
- 2:47 STS-51L - Barbara Morgan Watches the Launch and Explosion of Space Shuttle Challengerby Matthew TravisFeatured 192,462
- 2:10 Newly found video of Challenger Disasterby Federaljacktube 194,709 views
- 1:46 Challenger Disaster from 7 different anglesby ert94464isback 2,671 views
- 19:48 Inside Mission Control During STS-107 Columbia's Failed Re-entry and disasterby Matthew Travis 220,955 views
- 46:49 Seconds From Disaster - Space Shuttle Challenger Explosion.by Varcolac7 40,125 views
- 5:53 SHUTTLE CHALLENGER EXPLODES!by 21VICTOR59 870,252 views
- 5:05 NASA Space Shuttle Challenger Explosion Disaster - 73 Seconds Into Flight January 28 1986by AviationExplorer 166,230 views
- Space Shuttle Challenger disaster 1,869 videos38
- 2:50 Simone lands her B737-800 at Helsinkiby JustPlanes 504,107 views
- 2:07 Space Shuttle Launch: Viewed From an Airplaneby Neil Monday 5,732,502 views
- 3:55 Thai Airways International ✈by airbusisawesome 2,300,747 views
- 3:44 Final Descent - Last Flight of Spaceshuttle Columbia - BBCby BBCExplore 215,259 views
- 1:12 Shuttle Columbia Disaster RARE FOOTAGEby Chris Walker 1,447,657 views
- 2:04 Columbia Disaster Eyewitness Videoby Daniel McNew 388,063 views
- 0:31 Launch of M/V Tunaby kattresa 2,553,789 views
- 46:50 Seconds From Disaster - Crash of Space Shuttle Columbia (Columbia's Last Flight).by Zakariya Kareem 113,590 views
- 6:39 UFO surveillance at Challenger disasterby 9thprotocol 143,408 views
- 5:02 Blast into Space, Spectacular Fall to Earthby SpaceRip 2,604,466 views
- 3:39 CGI Space Shuttle Destroyed - 2009. Part 1.by Hale Kaden 162,698 views
- 10:00 Seconds From Disaster - Space Shuttle Challenger part 1by MrHalkat 83,910 views
- 0:22 Boeing 747: High Altitude Water Dropby Presyden 7,528,719 views
- Loading more suggestions...