How to build a simple electric motor, plus how it works.
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 24, 2007
The Tabletop Explainer is an intermittent educational vlog presenting answers to viewer questions, brief science lessons, and ideas for teachers and students. It is a feature of my blog "Tilts at Windmils" which can be found at http://www.davidcolarusso.com/blog/
Download the background music, Time to Funk by Trafic de Blues: http://www.jamendo.com/en/track/12306
TROUBLESHOOTING & FAQ
First, it's important to understand the context of the "Build Your Own Motor..." video. It's a demonstration aimed at solidifying the ideas presented in two earlier videos. If you haven't already, you should watch the whole set:
1) What is the magnetic field?
2) Electricity & Magnetism Hand Rules (part one)
3) How to build a simple electric motor, plus how it works.
The main idea here is that charges moving through a magnetic field experience a "push" perpendicular to the direction of their motion. This force is also dependent upon the direction of the magnetic field. The fact that the wire is stripped on only one side alternates the current from "on" to "off" every half rotation. So halfway through the spin, the ring coasts through until it gets current again receiving a "kick." It's a poor man's commutator. The particulars of this kick/force are discussed in the second video. Armed with the knowledge from the above videos, you should be able to troubleshoot most of the problems that arise. The key is to make sure you understand the concepts first.
That being said, here are the most common issues I've seen my students have when working on their motors:
1) They strip the wrong part of the coil.
1.a) Most often they forget that they are supposed to strip only the underside of the wire on the arms of the coil. They mistakenly strip the whole wire. This could cause the coil not to spin properly and also in some cases to over heat.
1.b) They strip the bottom of the wire when the coil is lying down. Make sure you are stripping the underside of the coil when it is oriented as an upstanding "O." Ask yourself, will the charges flowing through this wire get a push in the right direction according to the rules set out in the second video?
2) The coil isn't symmetrical. Before you connect up the power, the coil should spin quite well with just a little push. If the arms are off center this can be a problem.
3) The coil isn't wound tightly enough. The coil should be very tight and neat.
Also you could be using the wrong type of wire. It needs to be thin, but also insulated. I've had good luck with this wire. http://www.radioshack.com/product/ind...
If something isn't working ask yourself "why?" You should have enough information to figure out the answer. After all, that's half the fun. I hope that helps.
Standard YouTube License
Next in The Tabletop Explainer
- 1:29 Simple Toy Motor Projectby crndy52Featured 1,211,616
- 5:00 How to Navigate by the Sunby The Tabletop Explainer et al. 238,829 views
- 2:29 What is the magnetic field?by dcolarusso 660,217 views
- 7:12 Two Postulates -- Special Relativityby dcolarusso 156,101 views
- 2:59 high speed HP motor (world record)by helpmonkey 1,253,591 views
- 59 videos Play all ทดลองby Otservice
- 2:00 Magnetism: Motors and Generatorsby Nanotech Educational Videos 563,004 views
- 4:39 Education / Training - Plimsoll lineby infovasion 66,070 views
- 10:17 How to build a simple, yet effective, HHO generatorby Terry Tech 429,125 views
- 2:15 Do it Yourself Magnetic Levitation! - Part 1by magic76767676's channel 1,397,589 views
- 4:04 These Hearts Are On Fireby MrfixitRick's Sci-Art World 1,544,356 views
- 3:02 Magnet Motor concept and How magnetic shielding worksby magneticveil 846,871 views
- 2:22 Induction Motor How it worksby 3D Models, Rigging & Animation 498,251 views
- 1:47 Electric Motor by Deuexxby deuexx 261,433 views
- 2:56 levitron casero..impresionante!! Tutorial (HD)by leus monsalve 432,615 views
- 6:47 Create a Lemon Batteryby ScienceOnline's channel 2,965,202 views
- 3:30 Jak w 5 minut zbudowac prosty silnikby ar2r2481 277,621 views
- 2:33 DC motor from gatorade bottle.by FURBALL'S EMPORIUM 785,780 views
- 5:23 Quantum Entanglement - The Weirdness Of Quantum Mechanicsby Best0fScience 305,505 views
- 9:37 How to make a Balloon Powered Car....very simple!!!by ImaPlayaz209's channel 3,877,415 views