The Lady Wants To Know - Michael Franks (1977)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 5, 2011
Michael Franks (born 18 September 1944 in La Jolla, California) is a smooth jazz singer and songwriter. He has recorded with a variety of well-known artists such as Patti Austin, Brenda Russell, Art Garfunkel, and David Sanborn. His songs have been recorded by The Manhattan Transfer, Patti Labelle, Carmen McRae, Diana Krall, Shirley Bassey and The Carpenters. Franks grew up in southern California with his father Gerald, his mother Betty and younger sister Christine who is the mother of Connor Sullivan, the lead singer of The Royal Nonesuch. Although no one in his family played music, his parents loved swing music and his early influences included Peggy Lee, Nat King Cole, Ira Gershwin, Irving Berlin and Johnny Mercer. At age 14 Franks bought his first guitar, a Japanese Marco Polo for $29.95 with six private lessons included - the only music education that he received. At University High in Irvine, Franks discovered the poetry of Theodore Roethke with his off-rhymes and hidden meter. In high school, he began singing folk rock, accompanying himself on guitar. Studying English at UCLA, Michael discovered artists such as Dave Brubeck, Patti Page, Stan Getz, João Gilberto, Antonio Carlos Jobim and Miles Davis. He never studied music in college or later, but earned a Bachelor of Arts degree from UCLA in comparative literature in 1966 and a Master of Arts degree from the University of Oregon in 1968. He had a teaching assistantship in a Ph.D. program in American literature at the University of Montreal before returning to teach part-time at UCLA. He started writing and recording songs during this time, and in 1973 he recorded an eponymous album, later reissued as "Previously Unavailable", which included the minor hit "Can't Seem To Shake This Rock 'n Roll". In 1975 Franks released his second album "The Art Of Tea", beginning a long relationship with Warner Brothers Music. His third album, "Sleeping Gypsy" (1977), which includes the song "The Lady Wants To Know", was partially recorded in Brazil. Around this time, percussionist Ray Armando gave Franks a cabasa, a percussion instrument that is constructed with loops of steel ball chain wrapped around a wide cylinder fixed to a long, narrow wooden or plastic handle, originally of African origin. It is often used in Latin jazz, and it became a signature instrument for Franks to play on stage when he was not playing guitar. Since then, he has recorded more than 15 albums. This channel is dedicated to the classic jazz music you've loved for years. The smokin' hot, icy cool jams that still make you tap your feet whenever you hear them . . . Cool Jazz is here!
For music videos of the Old School funk, go to:
To check out videos from The Roots Of Rap, go to:
To explore the world of The DJ Cafe, go to:
If you love jamming to some great Classic Rock, check out:
Check out my newer music videos and other fun stuff at:
Check out my news videography stuff at:
Also, check out my youngest daughter (the world's youngest video producer) at:
And coming in June 2011 . . .
DJ Buddy Love presents LONGEVITY . . .
A world record club DJ mixing marathon charity event . . .
121 hours nonstop to benefit cancer research . . .
Live to the world via UStream, Facebook, YouTube & Twitter . . .
More details coming soon . . .
Copyright 1977 Warner Brothers Records
All Rights Reserved
Standard YouTube License
- 44 videos Play all YouTube Mix
- 4:14 Michael Franks - Now That The Summer's Hereby Shanachie FanFeatured 65,356
- 5:52 Michael Franks - 09 - When Sly Calls (Don't Touch That Phone) [HQ]by TheRotsenestor 4,961 views
- 4:15 Tiger in the Rain ＊ Michael Franksby WindFaSnowMoon 1,280 views
- 4:24 Michael Franks - "Antonio´s Song"by Club Bossa Nova 8,799 views
- 9:01 Michael Franks - I'd Rather Be Happy Than Rightby captjazzelle 29,074 views
- 93 videos Play all Michael Franksby galetaable
- 6:07 Michael Franks - In The Eye Of The Stormby billwill7929 16,981 views
- 4:53 Ronnie Laws - Friends & Strangersby ladybret 225,264 views
- 5:06 Michael Franks - B'wana He No Homeby billwill7929 9,785 views
- 7:58 This Masquerade - George Benson (1976)by DJ Buddy Love - Cool Jazz 414,754 views
- 4:42 BURCHFIELD NINES / MICHAEL FRANKSby gen miya 2,036 views
- 7:09 Reunion + Michael Franks - Under the Sunby dotz2ro 129,994 views
- 6:26 michael franks - like moon behind a cloudby billwill7929 9,516 views
- 5:11 Michael Franks / Chain Reactionby gen miya 1,862 views
- 4:21 Is It You? - Lee Ritenour featuring Eric Tagg (1981)by DJ Buddy Love - Cool Jazz 94,198 views
- 5:14 On Broadway [Live] - George Benson (1978)by djbuddylovecooljazz 174,945 views
- 3:43 We're In This Love Together - Al Jarreau (1981)by DJ Buddy Love - Cool Jazz 49,867 views
- 5:13 JJ Johnson - Mistyby whoelse2007 20,316 views
- 0:58 Alphonse Mouzon - "When Linda Smiles" (1980) sample onlyby whitephilippino 69,877 views
- 5:51 MICHAEL FRANKS - ANTONIO'S SONGby TheJazzConnoisseur 4,490 views
- 5:15 Joe Sample & Michael Franks - Leading Me Back To You.by jazzaman147 1,193 views
- Loading more suggestions...