The Lady Wants To Know - Michael Franks (1977)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 5, 2011
Michael Franks (born 18 September 1944 in La Jolla, California) is a smooth jazz singer and songwriter. He has recorded with a variety of well-known artists such as Patti Austin, Brenda Russell, Art Garfunkel, and David Sanborn. His songs have been recorded by The Manhattan Transfer, Patti Labelle, Carmen McRae, Diana Krall, Shirley Bassey and The Carpenters. Franks grew up in southern California with his father Gerald, his mother Betty and younger sister Christine who is the mother of Connor Sullivan, the lead singer of The Royal Nonesuch. Although no one in his family played music, his parents loved swing music and his early influences included Peggy Lee, Nat King Cole, Ira Gershwin, Irving Berlin and Johnny Mercer. At age 14 Franks bought his first guitar, a Japanese Marco Polo for $29.95 with six private lessons included - the only music education that he received. At University High in Irvine, Franks discovered the poetry of Theodore Roethke with his off-rhymes and hidden meter. In high school, he began singing folk rock, accompanying himself on guitar. Studying English at UCLA, Michael discovered artists such as Dave Brubeck, Patti Page, Stan Getz, João Gilberto, Antonio Carlos Jobim and Miles Davis. He never studied music in college or later, but earned a Bachelor of Arts degree from UCLA in comparative literature in 1966 and a Master of Arts degree from the University of Oregon in 1968. He had a teaching assistantship in a Ph.D. program in American literature at the University of Montreal before returning to teach part-time at UCLA. He started writing and recording songs during this time, and in 1973 he recorded an eponymous album, later reissued as "Previously Unavailable", which included the minor hit "Can't Seem To Shake This Rock 'n Roll". In 1975 Franks released his second album "The Art Of Tea", beginning a long relationship with Warner Brothers Music. His third album, "Sleeping Gypsy" (1977), which includes the song "The Lady Wants To Know", was partially recorded in Brazil. Around this time, percussionist Ray Armando gave Franks a cabasa, a percussion instrument that is constructed with loops of steel ball chain wrapped around a wide cylinder fixed to a long, narrow wooden or plastic handle, originally of African origin. It is often used in Latin jazz, and it became a signature instrument for Franks to play on stage when he was not playing guitar. Since then, he has recorded more than 15 albums. This channel is dedicated to the classic jazz music you've loved for years. The smokin' hot, icy cool jams that still make you tap your feet whenever you hear them . . . Cool Jazz is here!
For music videos of the Old School funk, go to:
To check out videos from The Roots Of Rap, go to:
To explore the world of The DJ Cafe, go to:
If you love jamming to some great Classic Rock, check out:
Check out my newer music videos and other fun stuff at:
Check out my news videography stuff at:
Also, check out my youngest daughter (the world's youngest video producer) at:
And coming in June 2011 . . .
DJ Buddy Love presents LONGEVITY . . .
A world record club DJ mixing marathon charity event . . .
121 hours nonstop to benefit cancer research . . .
Live to the world via UStream, Facebook, YouTube & Twitter . . .
More details coming soon . . .
Copyright 1977 Warner Brothers Records
All Rights Reserved
Standard YouTube License
- 45 videos Play all YouTube Mix - The Lady Wants To Know - Michael Franks (1977)
- 7:08 Brian Culbertson Lights Offby EssenceofJazz Featured 16,602
- 35:27 Michael Franks - The Art Of Tea ( Full Album )by InsubordinateCat18,101 views
- 1:00:54 Bread - The Best of Breadby someoneumiteknow53 .308,759 views
- 7:29 michael franks - every time she whispersby pasquale murano14,912 views
- 40:55 Michael Franks Tiger In The Rain ( Full Album )by mistermister668a22,941 views
- Michael Franks 1,466 videos8
- 4:24 Michael Franks - "Antonio´s Song"by cubebossanova18,494 views
- 6:03 Veronica Nunn / Michael Franks duet - When I Give My Love To Youby sukunet7257,476 views
- 5:02 Michael Franks - Antonio's Songby gueir229,028 views
- 4:51 Michael Franks - On My Way Home To Youby captjazzelle26,149 views
- 9:25 Michael Franks - "Antonio's Song" and "Down in Brazil"by jo williamson37,890 views
- 11 videos Play all Michael Franks - Abandoned Garden [Album 1995]by TheRotsenestor
- 39:02 Michael Franks Sleeping Gypsy ( Full Album )by mistermister668a30,539 views
- 7:59 This Masquerade - George Benson (1976)by djbuddylovecooljazz527,016 views
- 5:14 Joe Sample & Michael Franks ~ Leading Me Back To Youby TVchannel0238,422 views
- 5:52 Michael Franks - 09 - When Sly Calls (Don't Touch That Phone) [HQ]by TheRotsenestor20,518 views
- 5:20 Michael Franks - When The Cookie Jar Is Emptyby billwill792970,259 views
- 4:48 Michael Franks - Antonios songby horcris18738,645 views
- 8:59 Big Log lessonby jamne142,109 views
- 3:49 Michael Franks - Loving You More And Moreby billwill792964,518 views