What is Dementia with Lewy Bodies? Alzheimer's Society Dementia Brain Video
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 3, 2012
This film looks at dementia with lewy bodies. Dementia with lewy bodies affects about 4% of people with dementia. Lewy bodies are tiny spherical deposits of protein that develop inside nerve cells.
"Dementia with Lewy bodies affects around 4% of people with dementia. It is closely related to both Alzheimer's disease and Parkinson's disease.
Lewy bodies are tiny, spherical deposits of protein that develop inside nerve cells. They prevent the cells from communicating properly by disrupting the important chemical messengers between cells. As yet we don't know how or why Lewy bodies form.
Lewy body dementia can affect any part of the brain, leading to many different symptoms.
This type of dementia shares many symptoms with Alzheimer's disease. However, people with Dementia with Lewy Bodies often experience hallucinations and problems with paying attention. They also frequently show deterioration of physical abilities in a similar way to people with Parkinson's Disease."
Please watch our other videos to see how brain cells function, hear what dementia is, and to hear more about Alzheimer's disease, Posterior Cortical Atrophy, vascular dementia, dementia with Lewy bodies, fronto-temporal dementia and other rarer causes of dementia.
Alzheimer's Society is dedicated to defeating dementia through research. Our unique research programme funds research into the cause, cure, care and prevention of dementia to improve treatment for people today and to search for a cure for tomorrow.
We are the only organisation to work with leading scientists and people affected by dementia to ensure our research influences practice and transforms lives. With the right investment, dementia can be defeated.
If you have found this tool useful please consider donating to our research programme by following this link
Interested in getting the latest updates from the Society?
Follow us on Twitter -- http://www.twitter.com/alzheimerssoc
Like us on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/alzheimersso...
Who are we?
Alzheimer's Society is the leading support and research charity for people with dementia, their families and carers.
There are 800,000 people with dementia in the UK with numbers set to rise to one million by 2021.
What is dementia?
The term 'dementia' is used to describe the symptoms that occur when the brain is affected by specific diseases and conditions. Symptoms of dementia include loss of memory, confusion and problems with speech and understanding.
Support the fight against dementia and visit us at
Leading the fight against dementia
© Alzheimer's Society 2012. Registered Charity No. 296645.
Standard YouTube License
Next in Dementia brain tour
- 2:50 What Is Lewy Body Disease?by wgaltvFeatured 4,399
- 1:06 What is Vascular Dementia? Alzheimer's Society Dementia Brain Videoby AlzheimersSociety 16,985 views
- 1:37 What Is Dementia? - Alzheimer's Society Dementia Brain Videoby AlzheimersSociety 49,326 views
- 1:01 What is Posterior Cortical Atrophy? - Alzheimer's Society Dementia Brain Videoby AlzheimersSociety 7,512 views
- 2:58 Living with Lewy Body Dementia - Mayo Clinicby Mayo Clinic 14,677 views
- 10:00 Difficulties in Diagnosing Lewy Body Dementia - pt 1by LBDAtv 15,151 views
- Dementia 13,098 videos33
- 8:37 Behavioral Challenges in Dementia With Lewy Bodies - pt 1by LBDAtv 20,220 views
- 1:07 What is Fronto Temporal Dementia? Alzheimer's Society Dementia Brain Videoby AlzheimersSociety 10,437 views
- 24 videos Play all Caring for a person with dementiaby AlzheimersSociety
- 3:05 Frontotemporal Dementiaby Mayo Clinic 46,556 views
- 1:00:12 New Insights into Lewy body dementias-20111005 1601-1.wmvby LBDAtv 3,201 views
- 1:09 What is dementia with lewy bodies?by AlzheimersSociety 3,416 views
- 3:11 Peter and Sheila - living with dementia - Alzheimer's Societyby AlzheimersSociety 4,938 views
- 0:45 Lewy Body Dementia, What Is The Cause?by empowher 1,223 views
- 3:15 What Is Alzheimer's Disease?by AboutAlzOrg 96,053 views
- 7:00 Life with Lewy 2010by bbhutch44 11,035 views
- 1:28:13 Alzheimer's Disease and Frontotemporal Dementiaby UCtelevision 5,940 views
- 56:58 FTD - Planning for Hope: Living with Frontotemporal Disease, a 1-hr documentary filmby FTDPlanningForHope 8,129 views
- 4:22 Inside the Brain: Unraveling the Mystery of Alzheimer's Disease [HQ]by AlzheimerUniversal 251,971 views
- 1:40 Dementia vs. Alzheimer's disease?by UAMSHealth 5,760 views
- 25:14 Understanding Dementiaby AlzheimerBC 16,644 views
- Loading more suggestions...