- Startups : News Roundtable with Thomas McInerney and Marshall Kirkpatrick - TWiST #258
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 18, 2012
1:00-1:30 Welcome everyone, today on the TWiST News Panel we're talking about the Facebook IPO.
1:30-2:30 With us today is Thomas McInerney. And also Marshall Kirkpatrick.
2:30-4:30 Tyler and Kirin, how are you both doing?
4:30-5:15 Klout was a big investment win for you, wasn't it?
5:15-7:00 Big thanks to Squarespace for their support of the program! Everyone thank @Squarespace!
7:00-8:00 Let's start with Facebook's IPO. It went out at $38 this morning and closed at the same. Some people are calling this a dud. What do you think?
8:00-10:45 Thomas: Seems like they did a pretty good job matching demand and price.
10:45-12:00 SecondMarket set the price for the IPO months ago: true or false?
12:00-14:45 Marshall, what are your thoughts on day 1 of Facebook's trading?
14:45-18:30 Marshall, is there one thing Zuckerberg could do to change their fate?
18:30-20:45 Is YouTube the best purchase in the history of technology?
20:45-23:30 Let's all stop for a second and agree that YouTube is the more important company?
23:30-26:45 Thank you to GoToMeeting for supporting the show! Everyone thank @GoToMeeting!
26:45-28:45 How else should Facebook be making money?
28:45-33:45 Tyler: Do you think a competitor was behind the lawsuit filed against Facebook today?
33:45-36:30 What do you think the biggest risk factors are for Facebook?
36:30-41:30 Breaking: Facebook just bought the company Karma.
41:30-44:45 Congrats to Facebook, now let's move on.
44:45-46:15 You know, Mark Zuckerberg just turned 28 this week.
46:15-47:30 Thomas: I'm not at all crazy about the Facebook mobile app.
47:30-48:00 Marshall, if you were Zuck, would you buy Pinterest?
48:00-51:30 Next story: BetterWorks made large staff cuts this week. CEO Paige Craig also indicated that they'll be pivoting. Thomas, what do you think?
51:30-53:30 What do all of those human capital companies do?
53:30-56:30 Let's talk about CEO Scott Thompson getting canned. Who didn't see this coming?
56:30-57:30 Insight from Tyler: It's like a pedophile at a Justin Bieber concert.
57:30-01:00:00 Marshall, what's your take on all this Yahoo nonsense?
01:00:00-01:04:00 Jason reveals his game plan for revamping Yahoo. Does Marshall agree?
01:04:00-01:05:30 Thomas: I've always thought of Yahoo as more of a content company than as a tech company.
01:05:30-01:08:15 Aaron Sorkin has been tapped to adapt the Steve Jobs bio for the big screen. Who should play Jobs in this version?
01:08:15-01:10:30 How smart can Ashton be if he decided to do that horribly offensive Popchips commercial?
01:10:30-01:14:15 Kirin, are you offended by Ashton playing a Bollywood character?
01:14:15-01:15:30 Thomas: I like Daniel Day Lewis as an older Steve Jobs.
01:15:30-01:16:45 Thank you to Marshall and Thomas for joining us today. We'll see you all next time.
Support This Week in Startups and independent media by joining the TWiST Producer Program at TwistList.co!
Want to support TWiST another way? Use bit.ly/twistamazon when you shop and a portion of your purchase will go toward helping keep independent media like TWiST on air!
Keep up with the latest from our sister company, LAUNCH:
First Eight Companies for LAUNCH Education & Kids
The Age of Excellence
Is There a YCombinator Valuation Bubble or Not?
The One Product that Makes Apple a Trillion-Dollar Company Overnight
Mint.com-for-the-cloud Cloudability to Graduate from TechStars Cloud with 2k+ Customers
FOLLOW ON TWITTER
SPECIAL THANKS TO OUR PREFERRED PARTNER eMINUTES
Lawyers who focus on forming and maintaining corporations and LLCs. Check them out at http://eMinutes.com and @eminutes.
Next in - Startups: Season 3
- 1:12:58 - Startups - Chamath Palihapitiya of The Social+Capital Partnership - TWiST #238by This Week In Startups10,435 views
- 1:13:49 - Startups - TWiST Meetup, London vs. Berlin - TWiST #270by This Week In Startups7,825 views
- 1:18:38 - Startups - Jennifer Lum of Adelphic Mobile/Apricot Capital - TWiST #257by This Week In Startups2,407 views
- 1:04:06 - Startups - News Roundtable with Thomas Korte and Luke Beatty-TWiST #E352by This Week In Startups7,599 views
- 1:37:20 - Startups - Eric Ries of Lean Startup - TWiST #199by This Week In Startups26,617 views
- 1:27:50 - Startups - News Panel with Adeo Ressi and Ryan Block - TWiST #227by This Week In Startups3,450 views
- 1:25:10 - Startups - Ryan Carson of Carsonified and Treehouse- TWiST #198by This Week In Startups6,754 views
- 1:08:45 - Startups - Neal Sales-Griffin of Code Academy - TWiST #230by This Week In Startups5,869 views
- 1:12:55 - Startups - LAUNCH Winners Alltuition, SpaceMonkey and Scoot Networks - TWiST #247by This Week In Startups3,605 views
- 52:24 - Startups - Shark Tank Takeover - TWiST #202by This Week In Startups6,087 views
- 1:16:51 - Startups - Sri Lanka Meetup - TWiST #256by This Week In Startups4,938 views
- 1:17:27 - Startups - News Roundtable with William Quigley and Tammy Campby This Week In Startups2,016 views
- 1:24:40 - Startups - News Panel with Rafe Needleman and Peter Horan - TWiST #213by This Week In Startups3,257 views
- 1:11:35 - Startups - Marco Zappacosta of Thumbtack - TWiST #241by This Week In Startups3,116 views
- 1:16:43 - Startups - All Ask Jason- TWiST #255by This Week In Startups2,603 views
- 1:02:32 - Startups - News Panel with Niel Robertson and Jon Ferrara - TWiST #254by This Week In Startups2,698 views
- 1:16:31 - Startups - News Roundtable with Peter Pham and Marshall Kirkpatrick - TWiST #221by This Week In Startups2,915 views
- 1:14:19 - Startups - News Panel with William Quigley and Sean Percival - TWiST #252by This Week In Startups2,896 views
- 1:23:40 This Week in Venture Capital - Thomas McInerney, angel investorby This Week In Startups10,070 views