- Startups - News Roundtable with Thomas McInerney and Marshall Kirkpatrick - TWiST #258
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 18, 2012
1:00-1:30 Welcome everyone, today on the TWiST News Panel we're talking about the Facebook IPO.
1:30-2:30 With us today is Thomas McInerney. And also Marshall Kirkpatrick.
2:30-4:30 Tyler and Kirin, how are you both doing?
4:30-5:15 Klout was a big investment win for you, wasn't it?
5:15-7:00 Big thanks to Squarespace for their support of the program! Everyone thank @Squarespace!
7:00-8:00 Let's start with Facebook's IPO. It went out at $38 this morning and closed at the same. Some people are calling this a dud. What do you think?
8:00-10:45 Thomas: Seems like they did a pretty good job matching demand and price.
10:45-12:00 SecondMarket set the price for the IPO months ago: true or false?
12:00-14:45 Marshall, what are your thoughts on day 1 of Facebook's trading?
14:45-18:30 Marshall, is there one thing Zuckerberg could do to change their fate?
18:30-20:45 Is YouTube the best purchase in the history of technology?
20:45-23:30 Let's all stop for a second and agree that YouTube is the more important company?
23:30-26:45 Thank you to GoToMeeting for supporting the show! Everyone thank @GoToMeeting!
26:45-28:45 How else should Facebook be making money?
28:45-33:45 Tyler: Do you think a competitor was behind the lawsuit filed against Facebook today?
33:45-36:30 What do you think the biggest risk factors are for Facebook?
36:30-41:30 Breaking: Facebook just bought the company Karma.
41:30-44:45 Congrats to Facebook, now let's move on.
44:45-46:15 You know, Mark Zuckerberg just turned 28 this week.
46:15-47:30 Thomas: I'm not at all crazy about the Facebook mobile app.
47:30-48:00 Marshall, if you were Zuck, would you buy Pinterest?
48:00-51:30 Next story: BetterWorks made large staff cuts this week. CEO Paige Craig also indicated that they'll be pivoting. Thomas, what do you think?
51:30-53:30 What do all of those human capital companies do?
53:30-56:30 Let's talk about CEO Scott Thompson getting canned. Who didn't see this coming?
56:30-57:30 Insight from Tyler: It's like a pedophile at a Justin Bieber concert.
57:30-01:00:00 Marshall, what's your take on all this Yahoo nonsense?
01:00:00-01:04:00 Jason reveals his game plan for revamping Yahoo. Does Marshall agree?
01:04:00-01:05:30 Thomas: I've always thought of Yahoo as more of a content company than as a tech company.
01:05:30-01:08:15 Aaron Sorkin has been tapped to adapt the Steve Jobs bio for the big screen. Who should play Jobs in this version?
01:08:15-01:10:30 How smart can Ashton be if he decided to do that horribly offensive Popchips commercial?
01:10:30-01:14:15 Kirin, are you offended by Ashton playing a Bollywood character?
01:14:15-01:15:30 Thomas: I like Daniel Day Lewis as an older Steve Jobs.
01:15:30-01:16:45 Thank you to Marshall and Thomas for joining us today. We'll see you all next time.
Support This Week in Startups and independent media by joining the TWiST Producer Program at TwistList.co!
Want to support TWiST another way? Use bit.ly/twistamazon when you shop and a portion of your purchase will go toward helping keep independent media like TWiST on air!
Keep up with the latest from our sister company, LAUNCH:
First Eight Companies for LAUNCH Education & Kids
The Age of Excellence
Is There a YCombinator Valuation Bubble or Not?
The One Product that Makes Apple a Trillion-Dollar Company Overnight
Mint.com-for-the-cloud Cloudability to Graduate from TechStars Cloud with 2k+ Customers
FOLLOW ON TWITTER
SPECIAL THANKS TO OUR PREFERRED PARTNER eMINUTES
Lawyers who focus on forming and maintaining corporations and LLCs. Check them out at http://eMinutes.com and @eminutes.
Next in - Startups: Season 3 Episodes
- 1:16:31 - Startups - News Roundtable with Peter Pham and Marshall Kirkpatrick - TWiST #221by ThisWeekIn 2,831 views
- 1:22:44 - Startups - TWiST News Roundtable - TWiST #240by ThisWeekIn 2,790 views
- 1:16:51 - Startups - Sri Lanka Meetup - TWiST #256by ThisWeekIn 4,793 views
- 1:18:38 - Startups - Jennifer Lum of Adelphic Mobile/Apricot Capital - TWiST #257by ThisWeekIn 2,217 views
- 1:14:54 - Startups - George Zachary of Charles River Ventures - TWiST #237by ThisWeekIn 3,917 views
- 1:12:58 - Startups - Chamath Palihapitiya of The Social+Capital Partnership - TWiST #238by ThisWeekIn 7,965 views
- 1:37:20 - Startups - Eric Ries of Lean Startup - TWiST #199by ThisWeekIn 23,614 views
- 1:13:49 - Startups - TWiST Meetup, London vs. Berlin - TWiST #270by ThisWeekIn 7,087 views
- 5:50 Banned TED Talk: Nick Hanauer "Rich people don't create jobs"by Zubenelgenubiii 375,844 views
- 1:23:56 - Startups - News with Sean Percival and James Altucher - TWiST #223by ThisWeekIn 3,236 views
- 56:54 - Startups - Kristoph Matthews CEO & Founder of Boxbee -TWiST #E351by ThisWeekIn 1,057 views
- 1:15:24 - Startups - Naval Ravikant of AngelList - TWiST #244by ThisWeekIn 3,864 views
- 53:14 - Startups - Fred Wilson of Union Square Ventures - TWiST #161by ThisWeekIn 11,177 views
- 52:24 - Startups - Shark Tank Takeover - TWiST #202by ThisWeekIn 5,521 views
- 1:16:02 News Roundtable with David Young & Marshall Kirkpatrick - TWiST #166by ThisWeekIn 2,624 views
- 1:19:49 - Startups - News Roundtable with Paul Kedrosky and William Quigley - TWiST #182by ThisWeekIn 2,726 views
- 1:23:42 - Startups - News Panel with Jason Nazar and Marshall Kirkpatrick - TWiST #246by ThisWeekIn 3,085 views
- 1:18:50 - Startups - Dmitry Shapiro of Anybeat - TWiST #187by ThisWeekIn 3,840 views
- 1:12:14 - Startups - LAUNCH Edu. Companies Motion Math, Sifteo and GatherEducation - TWiST #263by ThisWeekIn 2,643 views