- Venture Capital : Andrew Siegel of Advance Publications - TWiVC #68
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Aug 22, 2012
On this episode of This Week in Venture Capital, Mark Suster interviews Andrew Siegel of Advance Publications (parent company of Conde Nast and others) on the changing print landscape.
00:30 Welcome everyone, I'm here today with Andrew Siegel of Advance Publications.
1:45 Tell us a little about Advance Publications and your role there.
2:45 You're one of the largest publication owners in the world, aren't you?
3:30 You were running corporate development for Yahoo before this?
5:15 How do young entrepreneurs begin to work with a company like yours?
7:00 Do you disclose which funds you've invested in?
7:30 Thank you to Walker Corporate Law for sponsoring the show. Everyone follow @ScottEdWalker for some great insight into the legal process.
8:45 How do you feel about your properties? Do you feel protected from new media?
10:30 Is news being disaggregated?
11:30 Andrew on the importance of high-quality content.
15:00 Andrew tells about a time he heard a German tourist ID the Conde Nast building in NYC.
16:00 How do you view the transition of your magazines to the iPad, to e-readers?
17:45 Which other publishers "get it" the most?
21:30 How do you balance the people with more money than time--and with more time than money?
22:00 Why did Advance Publications buy Reddit?
24:45 Are there similarities between Twitter and Reddit?
25:30 How should entrepreneurs approach you for funding?
28:15 Thank you to Detroit Venture Partners for their support of the show! Check out detroitventurepartners.com.
31:00 Are you investing in email?
33:30 Discussion of Ian Roger's Topspin Media.
36:30 Andrew: Display advertising has a real problem.
38:00 What are your thoughts on product placements?
40:30 Have you been following the Dalton Caldwell vs. Twitter story?
44:45 Consumers want to have an authentic dialogue with a brand.
45:45 What's your process for investing in startups?
48:45 Is it fair to say that every company is different in terms of their M&A strategy?
51:00 Is Pinterest real? Are you seeing much real conversion from it?
52:30 Andrew, thank you so much for joining us today. And thank you to Detroit Venture Partners and to Walker Corporate Law.
FOLLOW ON TWITTER
Walker Corporate Law: @scottedwalker
Detroit Venture Partners: @dvptweets
Next in - Venture Capital: Season 2
- 1:28:16 - Venture Capital - Jonathan Strauss of Awe.sm on TWiVC #67by This Week In Startups3,337 views
- 1:19:58 - Venture Capital - John Frankel- This Week in Venture Capital #71by This Week In Startups4,874 views
- 1:13:41 - Venture Capital - Steve Blank - This Week in Venture Capital #70by This Week In Startups10,880 views
- 1:23:22 Harvard i-lab | "Mastering the VC Game: How to Raise Your First Round of Capital" with Jeff Bussgangby Harvard ilab4,276 views
- 30:54 - Web Design - How do I build Mobile Applications using jQuery?by This Week In Startups12,998 views
- 49:09 - Venture Capital - This Week in Venture Capital - Kelly Hwang, Associate at GRPby This Week In Startups20,605 views
- 6:08 Angel Investors VS. Venture Capitalists - Ask Jayby askjayadelson19,278 views
- 55:42 How to Raise Venture Capital - Startups Uncensored 17by docstocTV4,298 views
- 28:36 The Harbinger Part 1by esium72,919 views
- 1:07:42 Authors@Google: Christopher Hitchensby Talks at Google1,191,038 views
- 51:50 1. Iterating Your Product and Market Strategyby StanfordUniversity16,830 views
- 1:17:08 Entrepreneurship Through the Lens of Venture Capital | Course Introductionby StanfordUniversity9,396 views
- 3:26 Harbor Freight Sandblasterby 7impala133,897 views
- 1:15:24 - Startups - Nolan Bushnell of Brainrush - TWiST #282by This Week In Startups7,471 views
- 1:18:02 The 21 Golden Rules: An Entrepreneurship Fableby University of California Television (UCTV)1,987 views
- 7:19 Stay Free (Part 16c - Understanding the Law of Moses)by TheFuelProject6,486 views
- 1:47:02 Raising Venture Capital: Some of the Important Rules Have Changedby University of California Television (UCTV)1,408 views
- 44:17 - Venture Capital - Mark Suster's speech at NYUby This Week In Startups7,372 views
- 4:30 Mike Rice Closeout Drill - raw footageby bnkgator147,797 views