Published on Jul 17, 2012
This video is of me driving my 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel after installing a new Borgeson Delphi "Dodge Box" steering box. This was the final step in PERMANENTLY fixing my trucks front end. If you are watching this video you are very aware of the many BIG problems plaguing the 2nd Generation, and later, front end suspension on these trucks. Loose steering, quick steering box failures, poor durability of the front end steering parts, the ever menacing "Death Wobble" and even when new the really substandard "feel" of the steering in general. In this video I am driving a 2002 Dodge 2500 4 by 4 with 185,000 miles on it down a heavily crowned, narrow country road using a single finger. It steers like a car!. Below I will list all the parts and Mods necessary to PERMANENTLY fix your Dodge and make it steer better than when it was new. I spent many dollars and lots of garage hours trying different things based on lots of at times conflicting Dodge Blog info and my own experience at considerable cost. This list is THE DIFFINATIVE list of things you HAVE to do to make your truck right FOR GOOD! Believe me there is no need to go to any more Dodge blogs, ask any more mechanic buddies or even ask the dealership. Just do what is listed below and you will fall back in love with the simple pleasure of driving your truck again!!! (Gonna cost more than $1000 bucks as stated in the video though)
I have used the part numbers from www.xtremediesel.com, so you can go to one place to see the products (Extreme Diesel Performance) But there are many places to buy these things if you want to shop around.
1) Make sure all tie rod ends and links are good...better yet just replace everything, you can get it all at NAPA or any other parts store
2) Check the ball joints...better yet replace them, if your truck is old...they are warn out guaranteed.
3) Replace the stabilizer end links and stabilizer bar bushings ( NAPA)
4) Replace the Track bar with an aftermarket adjustable with frame bracket modification bracket (Item Number: BD1032011-$522)
5) Replace steering shock/ dampener.
6) Go to rocksolidramtrucksteering.com and buy the steering column bushing upgrade to replace the bottom column bearing as I can guarantee the factory one is warn out and causing play. ($60- this is the only place to get this part)
7) Buy a Borgeson steering shaft to go from the column to the steering box (Item Number: BO000945-$269)
8) Buy Borgeson Delphi "Dodge Box" steering box. (Item Number: BO800112-$407)
9) Buy a steering box stabilizer (Item Number: BD1032002-$209) With the new Delphi steering box you will need to do a little grinding on the bearing holes as the new "Dodge Box" is 3/8" further to the passenger side of the truck than the stock Saginaw box.
Follow the instruction for each item and do it in the order listed above. If you have a reasonable amount of mechanical skill you can do it all in your garage other than probably the ball joints and alignment.
GET A GOOD 4 WHEEL ALIGNMENT!!!!!!! I went to Firestone and they did a great job for $175 bucks...lifetime warrantee..
Follow the instructions AND LOVE YOUR DODGE AGAIN!!!!
Standard YouTube License