Linda MacDonald Glenn on Singularity 1 on 1: Sentience Matters!
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 3, 2012
Today I interviewed Prof. Linda MacDonald Glenn on Singularity 1 on 1.
Linda is an American bioethicist, healthcare educator, lecturer, consultant, and attorney-at-law. Her academic research encompasses the legal, ethical, and social impact of emerging technologies and "evolving notions of personhood".
During our conversation with Prof. Glenn we discuss a variety of topics such as: the very personal and moving story behind her interest in bioethics; women in technology; human rights versus sentience rights; the legal differences of being human vs being a "person"; the legal test (or lack thereof) for recognizing personhood; the problems of defining and measuring intelligence.
(As always you can listen to or download the audio file above or scroll down and watch the adapted video interview in full. There is delay between my own video and audio, which are out of sync, but Linda Glenn's end is very good so you will not be annoyed by it for 90% of the time.)
Who is Linda MacDonald Glenn?
Linda MacDonald Glenn JD, LLM (Biomedical Ethics, McGill) is a healthcare ethics educator, counselor-at-law, futurist and international consultant. She holds a faculty appointment at the Alden March Bioethics Institute, Albany Medical Center, and is also a Fellow at the Institute for Emerging Technologies and a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation. Her other honors include an appointment as a Senior Fellow at the American Medical Association's Institute for Ethics, and being named a Women's Bioethics Scholar. Her research encompasses the legal, ethical, and social impact of emerging healthcare technologies, and evolving notions of legal personhood.
She has advised governmental leaders and agencies, published numerous articles in professional journals and books, addressed public and professional groups internationally, and made many media appearances, including the History Channel, the Discovery Channel, and NPR. She is currently working on a book titled Bioethics for a New Earth: How Emerging Technologies Can Change Humankind.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:13:38 Lincoln Cannon on Singularity 1 on 1: Reach Out To Religious Transhumanistsby Nikola Danaylov 328 views
- 1:29:53 Einstein [History Channel]by AlternativeNews4U 259,481 views
- 58:46 Michio Kaku - Time: 4 - Cosmic Timeby Muon Ray 169,450 views
- 8:01 Camper Killer Commentary #6. Technology and the Singularity.by CampKillCommentary 1,509 views
- 49:53 Ray Kurzweil on the Singularityby singularitysummit 6,154 views
- 46:25 Andrew Crofts on Singularity 1 on 1by Nikola Danaylov 370 views
- 1:04:01 "The World in 2030" by Dr. Michio Kakuby CUNYQueensborough 2,331,243 views
- 1:02:06 Ray Kurzweil: What does the future look like? - SSHFby Humaid Al Ali 14,656 views
- 24:56 Anders Sandberg: "Technical Roadmap for Whole Brain Emulation"by singularitysummit 157 views
- 1:03:38 Ray Kurzweil on Singularity 1 on 1by Nikola Danaylov 12,203 views
- 2:01:21 Terence McKenna - Evolving Timesby loadedshaman 174,043 views
- 43:51 Ray Kurzweil on the Singularityby singularitysummit 7,146 views
- 1:10:53 Ray Kurzweil - Futuristby Computer History Museum 112,040 views
- 14:46 Charlie Stross on Singularity 1 on 1 (part1)by Nikola Danaylov 1,319 views
- 2:06:19 Terence McKenna ~ Dreaming Awake at the End of Timeby nndmtube 62,605 views
- 13:55 Terence Mckenna & Joe Rogan - Awaken from the cultural nightmare, and awaken the Imagination.by Esotericstarseed1111 106,117 views
- 58:36 Kevin Warwick on Singularity 1 on 1by Nikola Danaylov 2,079 views
- 4:05 Dr. Michio Kaku America Has A Secret Weaponby The72tube 1,364,326 views
- 1:30:17 Hugo de Garis on Singularity 1 on 1: Are We Building Gods or Terminators?by Nikola Danaylov 5,224 views
- 59:45 GTG Radio - Aaron Franz - The Transhuman Agenda Part 1/2by The Glasgow Truth Group 709 views
- Loading more suggestions...