A True Tale of Canadian Health Care: Why some patients need to go to the U.S. for surgery
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 8, 2009
Many advocates of health-care reform are admirers of Canada's state-run, no-opt-out, single-payer system. Indeed, in 2003, President Barack Obama voiced enthusiasm for such a health-care program.
Proponents of Canadian-style health care should meet Cheryl Baxter, a Canadian citizen who waited years for hip-replacement surgery, only to be told that her operation would not happen any time soon. Instead of waiting, Baxter did what an increasing number of Canadians are doing: She flew to a clinic in the United States, paid out of pocket, and had a life-altering surgery in a matter of weeks rather than years.
Baxter's experience doesn't just throw damning light on Canadian health care. The sort of clinic she went to in Oklahoma suggests a different way of delivering health care in the United States, too: A simple fee-for-service model in which providers openly advertise their prices, service, and reputation. Rather than a frustrating, complicated mess of intermediaries such as employers and insurance companies, U.S. health-care reformers should think about bringing medicine into line with the same dynamics that help deliver great service at great prices throughout most other parts of the economy.
While Canadian health care is certainly cheaper than its U.S. counterpart (health care spending in Canada is about 10 percent of GDP versus 16 percent in the United States), it is not necessarily better or more equitable. As a recent National Bureau of Economic Research comparison concluded, "Americans are more likely to report that they are fully satisfied with the health services they have received and to rank the quality of care as excellent." Not only do Americans have far greater access to basic diagnostic tools ranging from mammograms to CT scans, the researchers found "the health-income gradient is actually more prominent in Canada than in the U.S." That is, wealthy Canadians receive far better care compared to low-income Canadians than rich Americans versus poor Americans.
"A True Tale of Canadian Health Care" was produced by Dan Hayes and Peter Suderman. Interviews were filmed by Alex Manning and the segment is hosted and scripted by Nick Gillespie. Approximately 5.11 minutes.
Reason.tv would like to thank the Independence Institute for arranging and underwriting travel to Canada for Suderman and Manning.
For downloadable versions of this video, go to http://reason.tv/video/show/a-true-ta....
For other Reason.tv videos on health care, go to http://reason.tv
Standard YouTube License
- 8:34 Why We Don't Need Socialized Medicineby How The World WorksFeatured 199,468
- 29:57 Why Obamacare Will Be Worse than Canadian Healthcare Lee Kurisko, M.D.by aapsonline 4,804 views
- 8:26 Health Care Reform with Michael Mooreby Haileo20 24,111 views
- 6:24 20/20 John Stossel Exposes Canada Care and Socialized Medicineby AlreadyKnownAsX2 21,612 views
- 5:46 Canadian Health Care Imploding - Dr. Anne Doigby MaryJ0K0PECHNE 2,909 views
- 32:58 True News: 'Canadian Health Policy Failures' - An Interview with Dr Brett Skinnerby Stefan Molyneux 5,796 views
- 8:43 How to Fix Health Care: Lasik Surgery For The Medical Debateby ReasonTV 33,270 views
- 4:38 Why We Need Government-Run Universal Socialized Health Insuranceby engio 444,817 views
- 9:07 The Truth About "Health Care" & the real "Public Option"by Paul Chek 3,146 views
- 3:22 Health Care Reform: 450,000 Doctors Can't Be Wrongby HealHealthCareNow 163,547 views
- 4:37 Universal Health Care Message To Americans, Dos Equis, Two X's From Canadaby Steve Wolfson 20,796 views
- 10:29 Know the TRUTH about the Government Health Care Bill H.R.3200 - Key Pointsby Patriots Park 5,261,679 views
- 3:37 Obamacare's Impact on Doctorsby HeritageFoundation 72,670 views
- 7:39 Would ObamaCare Kill Medical Innovation?by ReasonTV 16,764 views
- 4:28 Natural Food Fight: Whole Foods and Health Careby ReasonTV 22,738 views
- 9:38 Milton Friedman - Socialized Medicineby LibertyPen 229,282 views
- 9:11 American Health Care Killed My Father (David Goldhill)by catoinstitutevideo 5,350 views
- 7:26 Canadian Health Careby Bill Bates 2,788 views
- 9:50 Canadian Health Care Exposed! Part 1by LeslieElite90's channel 5,034 views
- 13:04 Detroit in RUINS! (Crowder goes Ghetto)by Steven Crowder 2,037,305 views
- Loading more suggestions...