Contemplatives in Conversation: Sufi and Christian Perspectives
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Mar 22, 2012
Contemplative practice is often lauded as a common trait of many religious and spiritual traditions, yet approaches to contemplation can be as diverse as the traditions in which they are practiced. This webinar features two experts in conversation with each other about the contemplative traditions from Sufism and Christianity. Nahid Angha and Daniel Wolpert share their expertise and compare and contrast the contemplative practices of their respective traditions.
Nahid Angha, Ph.D. is the co-director and co-founder of the International Association of Sufism (IAS), founder of the International Sufi Women Organization, and the executive editor of Sufism: An Inquiry. She is an internationally published scholar and one of the major Sufi teachers, scholars, and translators of Sufi literature today, with over fifteen published books. She has lectured throughout the world including at the UN, Smithsonian Institute, CPWR's conferences, Science and Spirituality, Cortona, Italy, and was among the distinguished Muslim leaders and scholars who was invited to gather for the first annual Shakir World Encounters, an Islamic conference of peace in Marrakech, Morocco.
Daniel Wolpert serves as the pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of Crookston, MN and is the co-founder of the Minnesota Institute of Contemplation and Healing (MICAH). For the past twenty five years he has taught in the fields of psychology and spiritual formation and led retreats in such settings as the Art of Spiritual Direction Program at SFTS, the Youth Ministry and Spirituality Project, national ministry conferences, UCLA, UND medical school, Luther Seminary, and numerous churches. He is also the author of "Leading a Life with God, the practice of spiritual leadership," "Creating a Life with God: the call of ancient prayer practices," and co-author of "Meeting God in Virtual Reality: using spiritual practices with media."
Standard YouTube License
- 24:43 Sufism Documentaryby ShaktipatSeer2Featured 20,581
- 51:35 Cynthia Bourgeault, Ways of the Heart, Introby Robert A. Jonas 6,538 views
- 1:01:27 Interfaith Dialogue (How to give Da'wah) - Yusuf Estesby khalifahklothing 70,686 views
- 6:09 Real Time with Bill Maher - Atheism is Not a Religionby atheismforthewin1 5,106 views
- 1:02:24 Changing the Conversation: Palestinian and Israeli Nonviolence Effortsby parliamentofreligion 94 views
- 16 videos Play all Parliament Webinar Seriesby parliamentofreligion
- 58:33 Spiritual Spectrum - Christian Contemplative Movementby julioxkingbeat 162 views
- 23:31 Imam Abdul Malik - Islam and Datingby YMnational 834 views
- 9:58 The Position and Rights of Women in Islamby StarrKingRMD 1,174 views
- 1:56 Excerpt from the Interview with Nahid Angha, Science and Nonduality Anthology DVDby scienceandnonduality 4,382 views
- 1:56:00 "Spiritual Formation and Contemplative Prayer," 3ABN Night Light, 2012 ASI Conventionby 3ABNVideos 11,298 views
- 16:04 Richard Davidson : Science and Dharma 5/19/2011by JewelHeartPrograms 4,001 views
- 5:44 Former MTV Host Kristiane Backer - A Convert To Islam Inspiring Through Sufism 2/2by hammadalqadri 9,213 views
- 0:49 Religious Wildebeestsby IRISHINFIDEL 1,195 views
- 1:57:17 Mind and Life XXII - Session Twoby gyalwarinpoche 17,814 views
- 12:59 LCWR Assembly 2010 Resolution: Strengthen Bonds Among Women Religious Globally.by Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary 646 views
- 8:22 Americans Confront Congress on Recess -Part 1 of 9by cspander 1,048 views
- 4:47 Gnostic Fellowship 1/5 - Examining the Mormon Doctrine of Eternal Familiesby AZTeachings 1,383 views
- 5:50 Christian Zikr Part 2: This Little Light of Mine (1 of 2)by sufigal 213 views
- 1:24 Vatican orders Crackdown on 'Radical' Nuns in the USby hotpotnow 2,160 views
- 56:45 Equipping Religious Leaders for Interreligious Workby parliamentofreligion 70 views
- Loading more suggestions...