US Uncut & Yes Lab on CNN: Explaining the 4/13 GE Tax Hoax
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 13, 2011
On the morning of Wednesday, April 13, 2011, a group of cyber-activists from US Uncut working in collaboration with the Yes Lab sent out the following press release: http://yeslab.org/fake-ge-press-release
GE Responds to Public Outcry - Will Donate Entire $3.2 Billion Tax Refund to Help Offset Cuts and Save American Jobs
Fairfield, CT, 13th April, 2011 - GE CEO Jeffrey Immelt has informed the Obama administration that the company will be gifting its entire 2010 tax refund, worth $3.2 Billion, to the US Treasury on April 18, Tax Day, and will furthermore adopt a host of new policies that secure its position as a leader in corporate social responsibility.
"We want the public to know that we've heard them, and that we know many Americans are going through tough times," said GE CEO Jeffrey Immelt. "GE will therefore give our 2010 tax refund back to the public and allow the public to decide how to spend it."
Immelt acknowledged no wrongdoing. "All seven of our foreign tax havens are entirely legal," Immelt noted. "But Americans have made it clear that they deplore laws that enable tax avoidance. While we owe it to our shareholders to use every legal loophole to maximize returns - we also owe something to the American people. We didn't write the laws that let us legally avoid paying taxes. Congress did. But we benefit from those laws, and now we'd like to share those benefits. We are proud to be giving something back to America, and we are proud to set an example for all industry to follow."
Over the coming weeks, GE will conduct a nationwide survey to determine how the company's $3.2 billion returned refund is to be allocated. The survey will be conducted both online and offline, and will permit the public to weigh in on which of the recently-enacted budget cuts they would like to see reversed.
In tandem with the gift, the company is also announcing a host of new policies to restore public faith in the GE brand, including a commitment to keep American jobs in America, and to create one U.S. job for each new job created abroad. The ambitious plan will overhaul accounting systems to allow public transparency and phase out the use of tax havens in five years. "Given my recent appointment as President Obama's Chairman of the Council on Jobs and Competitiveness, it is no longer appropriate for GE to engage in practices that, whether by fact or perception, are at odds with the greater good of the nation," Immelt said.
Immelt outlined several concrete steps he would take to push for modernized tax policies that reflect the realities of the global economy. "I will personally ask President Obama to work with Congress to require country-by-country reporting by multi-national corporations of the sales made, profits earned and taxes paid in every jurisdiction where an entity operates. Instead of moving money via 'transfer pricing,' corporations ought to pay taxes in the jurisdictions where profits are actually made. If Congress is able to establish standard industry-wide solutions, GE will close our tax haven operations abroad, including our subsidiaries in Bermuda, Singapore and Luxembourg."
Further details on GE's new policy will be released in the coming weeks.
GE Corporate, Assistant Director
Communications & Public Affairs
+1 615 375 6658
See US Uncut's Response press release:
And the final joint 'coming clean' press release from US Uncut/Yes Lab:
Also see B-roll "footage" from GE of the day's events: http://vimeo.com/22341420
Standard YouTube License
- 1:05:05 Occupy Gezi Meets Free Cooper Union - LIVE!by Troubador33
- 29:50 Eben Moglen on Facebook, Google and Government Surveillanceby yasssunews10,291 views
- 10:00 the yes men democracy nowby keram8167,734 views
- 5:24 9 Trillion FED Hearing/ Inspector: "No Jurisdiction"by LTP 180 UPSIDE DOWN TURN AROUND SPHERICAL EARTH ORBITING SATELLITE961 views
- 10:22 Joseph Stiglitz: US dollar should be replaced by new global reserve - RT 110414by newsupload20101,100 views
- 27:01 Basic Income Tax Course - Part 1by JCCCvideo81,330 views
- 1:04:14 The Yes Men (4/27/10)by Commonwealth Club5,330 views
- 5:05 The Yes Men vs. the U.S. Chamber of Commerceby The Yes Lab36,059 views
- 49:29 How the Rich Beat the Taxman (2010)by PrentissMcCabe47,225 views
- 4:37 BP Imposter Crashes Oil Spill Summitby GulfCoast20113,934 views
- 14:53 Testing a GE J79 with afterburnerby AgentJayZ207,013 views
- 2:20 Singapore - the future Switzerland of Asia?by swissinfovideos4,304 views
- 2:49 Andrew Boyd of US Uncut: It's a Hoax: GE Does Not Plan To Return $3.2B Tax Refund to US Treasuryby mediagrrl9826 views
- 0:57 On Istaklil, Taksim Sq: "Jump or You're Tayyip!"by Troubador33404 views
- 3:26 Police Remove Activists from International Trade Party for Staging Fake Award Ceremonyby Texas Corp Power Partnership24,165 views
- 8:42 The Yes Men : le pacte Hulot vu par Claude Goasguen (UMP)by lelabtv34,651 views
- 14:36 President Obama General Electric Plant Schenectady New York (January 21, 2011)by DefinitelyAbsolute4,488 views
- 2:57 US Uncut DC - Verizon Tax Day Actionby usuncut2,718 views
- 2:39 Offshore Tax Havensby Александра Листерман2,741 views
- 4:17 General Electric GE90-115B Engine - The Best In the Worldby SpeedbirdHD .69,382 views
- Loading more suggestions...