Is Bicycling Dangerous? Death Statistics
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 16, 2010
In order to try to compare relative risk, I averaged the data from the last ten years.
I believe this will give a more accurate picture.
I used studies by other researchers to compare my findings.
Although, my numbers are not exactly the same as theirs, I used a different data set.
I am basing my numbers on a ten year estimated average US population of 295 million.
My data includes all riders of different ages and experience.
No one really knows for sure the number of bicyclist.
Bicycle statistics are particularly difficult to find.
I did my best to be fair and accurate.
I used the estimated number of bicycles from other sources when possible.
And, I estimated numbers by figuring percentages from years with known data.
For example, I estimated a 10 year average of 42.5 million bicycle riders averaging 566 miles each.
The average mileage was determined from 12 studies, which had enough information to determine average mileage. My own yearly average is 3000 miles. I know that some of you travel 10,000 miles per year. But, most bicycle riders do not ride their bicycles that many miles.
This gives an estimated total of 25.3 billion bicycle miles traveled. The average fatality rate over ten years is 716 bicyclist deaths per year. Divide the number of fatalities by the bicycle miles traveled and multiply by 100 million and you get 2.98 fatalities per 100 million bicycle miles traveled. I rounded it off to 3 to make it simple.
250 million motor vehicle drivers and passengers traveling an average of 10,000 miles per year.
and an average of 36,156 fatalities per year.
Good pedestrian data is even harder to find than bicycle statistics.
I used 180 million pedestrians traveling on average 107 miles each and 4850 fatalities.
There are approximately 5.5 million motorcyclists traveling on average 1950 miles and 3796 fatalities.
Yes, I am aware that there are over 300 million in the US.
And, I know that if you use data from only 1 year the numbers will be different.
Some fatality rates are increasing and some like for bicyclist are decreasing.
So, averaging a number of years seemed the best way for me to look at relative risk.
Listed below are some of the studies I used:
2008 Pedestrian Safety - Report to Congress - FHA & US DOT
2003 Study of Walking and Cycling - Pucher
2001 The Fatality Risk of Walking in America: A Time Based Comparative Approach
2002 National Survey of Bicyclist and Pedestrian Attitudes and Behaviors
2008 National Pedestrian Crash Report - NHTSA
National Safety Council
A Comparative Analysis of Bicycle Lanes Verus Wide Curb Lanes
2001 KKBP Bicycle Safety Study
1975 L.A.W. Study - Kaplan
Bureau of Transportation Statistics
1997 Moritz Survey of North American Bicycle Commuters
Summary of Travel Trends 2001 NHTS
2006 Perception of Safety and Risk taking in Cycling - Jones
2002 Florida DOT
1976 Bicycle Accidents an usage Among Young Adults - Schupack & Driessen
Standard YouTube License
- 6:55 Top 10 Sexy Female Aliensby WatchMojo.com Featured 5,775,109
- 37:01 Bicycle Truth: Weight Scam - True cost of ridingby funnzie306,022 views
- 4:07 Cycle to Work Scheme Saved My Lifeby Toby Field20,640 views
- 5:29 5 Cyclists Killed in 5 Days = No Change!by TheVexatiousLitigant1,910 views
- 2:54 Shocking Motorcycle Crash into Bicycles 4/27/2013by RNickeyMouse4,070,995 views
- 0:35 (Crash) Nearly a Deadly 30mph Crash on a Bike (Graphic Language)by Collin M.6,508 views
- 8:18 Death Rides On My Left - urban bicycle commutingby luvmastertx21,174 views
- 4:25 Vehicular Cycling, Driver Error, and Inadequate Bicycle Facilitiesby MrSafestreets1,559 views
- 4:09 Cyclists Often Unsafe on San Diego Roadsby KPBSSanDiego3,256 views
- 8:08 Random Commuter Bike Thoughtsby MrIce8077,236 views
- 3:12 Passenger door crash on the bike with a bike snap in halfby Vic Ing117,121 views
- 7:49 Cycling Descending Skillsby evanscoaching15,160 views
- 7:04 Cycling Survival 1 - How to cycle in the mountains - Climbing Techniqueby Cyclefilm - Cycling Media Production1,005,934 views
- 6:27 Why I use a Helmet Cameraby 4ChordsNoNet46,512 views
- 1:29 Bicyclist - the danger of motorist failing to yieldby luvmastertx3,542 views
- 5:31 Russ Roca Bicycling Photographerby Russ Roca3,783 views
- 1:08 A Dangerous Bicycling Situation - What would you do?by luvmastertx11,634 views
- 44:20 British Cycling Road to Glory Part 1 Grand Ambitionby Success Cycling37,571 views
- 45:58 45 Minute Indoor Trainer Workoutby CTXCvideos30,083 views
- 2:23 Is urban bicycle commuting Dangerous? The Fearmongerby luvmastertx4,428 views