Is Bicycling Dangerous? Death Statistics
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 16, 2010
In order to try to compare relative risk, I averaged the data from the last ten years.
I believe this will give a more accurate picture.
I used studies by other researchers to compare my findings.
Although, my numbers are not exactly the same as theirs, I used a different data set.
I am basing my numbers on a ten year estimated average US population of 295 million.
My data includes all riders of different ages and experience.
No one really knows for sure the number of bicyclist.
Bicycle statistics are particularly difficult to find.
I did my best to be fair and accurate.
I used the estimated number of bicycles from other sources when possible.
And, I estimated numbers by figuring percentages from years with known data.
For example, I estimated a 10 year average of 42.5 million bicycle riders averaging 566 miles each.
The average mileage was determined from 12 studies, which had enough information to determine average mileage. My own yearly average is 3000 miles. I know that some of you travel 10,000 miles per year. But, most bicycle riders do not ride their bicycles that many miles.
This gives an estimated total of 25.3 billion bicycle miles traveled. The average fatality rate over ten years is 716 bicyclist deaths per year. Divide the number of fatalities by the bicycle miles traveled and multiply by 100 million and you get 2.98 fatalities per 100 million bicycle miles traveled. I rounded it off to 3 to make it simple.
250 million motor vehicle drivers and passengers traveling an average of 10,000 miles per year.
and an average of 36,156 fatalities per year.
Good pedestrian data is even harder to find than bicycle statistics.
I used 180 million pedestrians traveling on average 107 miles each and 4850 fatalities.
There are approximately 5.5 million motorcyclists traveling on average 1950 miles and 3796 fatalities.
Yes, I am aware that there are over 300 million in the US.
And, I know that if you use data from only 1 year the numbers will be different.
Some fatality rates are increasing and some like for bicyclist are decreasing.
So, averaging a number of years seemed the best way for me to look at relative risk.
Listed below are some of the studies I used:
2008 Pedestrian Safety - Report to Congress - FHA & US DOT
2003 Study of Walking and Cycling - Pucher
2001 The Fatality Risk of Walking in America: A Time Based Comparative Approach
2002 National Survey of Bicyclist and Pedestrian Attitudes and Behaviors
2008 National Pedestrian Crash Report - NHTSA
National Safety Council
A Comparative Analysis of Bicycle Lanes Verus Wide Curb Lanes
2001 KKBP Bicycle Safety Study
1975 L.A.W. Study - Kaplan
Bureau of Transportation Statistics
1997 Moritz Survey of North American Bicycle Commuters
Summary of Travel Trends 2001 NHTS
2006 Perception of Safety and Risk taking in Cycling - Jones
2002 Florida DOT
1976 Bicycle Accidents an usage Among Young Adults - Schupack & Driessen
Standard YouTube License
- 11:58 5 Lessons From Biking Across Americaby Bike Across USA - Steve GarufiFeatured 23,868
- 1:29 Bicyclist - the danger of motorist failing to yieldby URBAN BICYCLE COMMUTER 3,172 views
- 1:08 A Dangerous Bicycling Situation - What would you do?by luvmastertx 10,863 views
- 1:35 Mitsubishi Test Drive on Death Road, Bolivia | World's Most Dangerousby Dapur Pacu 51,736 views
- 0:29 Bicycle commuter almost gets killedby luvmastertx 9,602 views
- 2:23 Is urban bicycle commuting Dangerous? The Fearmongerby luvmastertx 4,194 views
- 0:34 Bicycle Passing Studyby LivableFutureBlog 2,006 views
- 0:32 Shoot the Gap - avoid right hooksby URBAN BICYCLE COMMUTER 1,312 views
- 4:01 A Virtuous Cycle: Bicycling in DCby Janeyhen84 379,939 views
- 3:21 How to mount video camera on your bicycle - creative positionsby luvmastertx 5,737 views
- 2:30 Is riding a bicycle on the sidewalk dangerous? sidewalk cyclingby luvmastertx 9,329 views
- 5:29 5 Cyclists Killed in 5 Days = No Change!by Cycling in New Zealand 1,535 views
- 7:08 SRC: Why You Should Ride Clipless Pedalsby Skunk River Cycles 89,120 views
- 2:51 Bicycle Dreams Trailer NPTby BicycleDreams 118,440 views
- 0:25 This BUNGHOLE is going to kill someoneby luvmastertx 949 views
- 7:22 Getting Chase's old bike backby jaco2302's channel 42,396 views
- 2:22 Bicycling : How to Prevent Cycling Knee Problemsby eHowSports's channel 26,996 views
- 6:01 How to Improve Pedaling Technique For Faster Road Cyclingby Rebecca Ramsay 17,251 views
- 3:49 Sharmanator's Motorized Polaris 600RR Bikeby Prateek Sharma 2,444 views
- 8:18 Death Rides On My Left - urban bicycle commutingby URBAN BICYCLE COMMUTER 19,300 views
- Loading more suggestions...