U.S. Reps Mike Turner and Loretta Sanchez Join in Bipartisan Effort on Defense Cuts
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Oct 24, 2012
For months Congress has been debating how to deal with the economic questions surrounding an increase in our national debt.
At a time when foreign nations own nearly $4.5 trillion of our $14.2 trillion debt -- proposed cuts in the recently passed deal could have serious implications for our national security.
As the Chairman of the House Armed Services Subcommittee on Strategic Forces, which oversees our nuclear posture, space programs, and intelligence organizations within the military, this is an issue of much concern for both me and our community, where Wright-Patterson Air Force Base continues to be an economic engine for our region.
That's why I was concerned that national security funding would be subject to an initial $175 billion cut in the final version of the Budget Control Act of 2011 that has been passed by Congress and signed by the President. I voted against this bill because I could not support a process which circumvents the normal legislative process and gambles with our national security.
Throughout this debate I have advocated for our government to cut current spending and cap it at a responsible level so that we may balance our budget.
This is a critical moment for both our nation and our armed forces. Our men and women in uniform are not only being asked to make further sacrifices with additional deployments, but in some cases they're relying on equipment which is often older than they are.
Our military remains strong and morale among servicemembers remains high, but we cannot continue to operate with a strained force or we will not be able to meet the obligations of the future.
Standard YouTube License
- 5:53 Rep. Mike Turner Questions DoD Leadership & Joint Chiefs of Staff on impacts of sequestrationby CongressmanTurner195 views
- 26:20 CSPAN's "Newsmakers" with Rep. Mike Turnerby CongressmanTurner379 views
- 5:15 Congressman Mike Turner Talks Terrorist Attacks in Libya on Anderson Cooper 360 (CNN)by CongressmanTurner355 views
- 4:44 Congressman Mike Turner Talks Sequestration on Bloomberg Newsby CongressmanTurner140 views
- 1:32:02 Bipartisan Meeting on Health Reform: Part 5by The White House61,439 views
- 1:06:23 Bipartisan Meeting on Health Reform: Part 4by The White House26,888 views
- 2:31 Commissioner Nan Whaley announces bid for Dayton's Mayorby WDTNTV182 views
- 1:36:57 Bipartisan Meeting on Health Reform: Part 2by The White House35,314 views
- 28:41 WDTN's Dayton and Beyond with Rep. Turnerby CongressmanTurner243 views
- 7:04 Congressman Mike Turner Questions GSA Administrators on Culture of Spendingby CongressmanTurner817 views
- 5:10 Congressman Mike Turner on MSNBC Talking About The Effects of Sequestrationby CongressmanTurner176 views
- 6:54 Congressman Mike Turner Delivers Opening Remarks at HASC Tactical Air and Land Forcesby CongressmanTurner103 views
- 6:33 Congressman Mike Turner Questions State Department Officialsby CongressmanTurner147 views
- 4:24 Congressman Mike Turner Tours TQL in Centerville, Ohioby CongressmanTurner218 views
- 3:53 Congressman Mike Turner Talks with Neil Cavuto on Fox Business Concerning Action in Syriaby CongressmanTurner87 views
- 2:55 ICYMI: Congressman Mike Turner "On The Record with Greta Van Susteren" Inside The Swag Bagby CongressmanTurner202 views
- 3:44 Rep. Turner on FoxNews to Discuss North Koreaby CongressmanTurner953 views
- 2:53 Congressman Mike Turner Talks Syria and Seuqestration with Varney and Coby CongressmanTurner36 views
- 5:54 Congressman Mike Turner Questions Current and Former IRS Officialsby CongressmanTurner681 views
- 6:29 Congressman Mike Turner Talks Sequestration Cuts on POLITICOLiveby CongressmanTurner117 views
- Loading more suggestions...