Guatemala's New President Otto Pérez Molina Tied to Human Rights Atrocities
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 17, 2012
www.democracynow.org - Retired military general Otto Pérez Molina has been sworn in as Guatemala's new president. Pérez is the first former military official to win the Guatemalan presidency since the end of the military dictatorship in 1986.
bq. *Otto Pérez Molina*: "Everyone rise and fly the blue and white flag in our hearts and work for change. We will have security if we all work for it. We will have development if we all make an effort. We will have peace if everyone does their part, because Guatemala belongs to all of us, regardless of social or economic conditions."
Otto Pérez Molina ran for office in Guatemala largely on a platform of using "an iron fist" to crack down on drug cartels. On his first day in office, Perez called on the military to help "neutralize" organized crime in Guatemala. Pérez, who was trained at the U.S. military school formerly known as the School of the Americas, is also seeking an end to a U.S. ban on military aid to Guatemala. Human rights groups have accused Pérez of being directly involved in the systematic use of torture and acts of genocide in Guatemala in the 1980s.
Jennifer Harbury, human rights attorney appearing, said this on Democracy Now! last year: "Well, we're all extremely concerned, given his background in human rights violations in Guatemala. He's always declared that he was not involved in the genocidal campaign of 1982 in the Quiché Highlands, but in fact a video showing [journalist] Allan Nairn interviewing him, precisely as he stands over several battered corpses, has been making the rounds in Guatemala. He was a major at the time. And this, of course, was the year when 70 to 90 percent of the villages in the Ixil Triangle were razed."
To watch the complete daily, independent news hour, read the transcript, download the podcast, and for the additional information about Democracy Now!, visit http://www.democracynow.org.
FOLLOW DEMOCRACY NOW! ONLINE:
Subscribe on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/democracynow
Listen on SoundCloud: http://www.soundcloud.com/democracy-now
Daily Email News Digest: http://www.democracynow.org/subscribe
Please consider supporting independent media by making a donation to Democracy Now! today, visit http://www.democracynow.org/donate/YT
Standard YouTube License
- 25:40 Otto Pérez Molina ofrece su primer discurso como presidenteby teleSUR tv Featured 8,268
- 9:52 Genocide-Linked General Otto Pérez Molina Poised to Become Guatemala's Next Presidentby democracynow1,340 views
- 17:27 Keystone Victory: Bill McKibben and Jane Kleeb of Bold Nebraska on Obama Rejecting Pipelineby democracynow3,785 views
- 19:37 Debate: Tucson School's Book Ban After Suspension of Mexican American Studies Program 2 of 2by democracynow1,785 views
- 18:01 Author Rebecca MacKinnon on the Global Struggle For Internet Freedomby democracynow1,037 views
- 27:46 Genocide Linked General Otto Pérez Molina Poised to Become Guatemala's Next Presidentby el charakotel2,578 views
- 22:04 Vicepresidenta en entrevista con CNN en Españolby Gobierno de Guatemala478 views
- 30:18 Fernando del Rincón de CNN entrevista a Otto Perez Molina sobre el caso Ríos Montt 10/10/2013by Púchica Muchá54,657 views
- 8:14 El video que el presidente de Guatemala Pérez Molina no quiere que usted veaby DemocracyNowEs36,360 views
- 6:33 Entrevista a Pablo Monsantos, ex lider guerrillero guatemaltecoby Dick Emanuelsson2,857 views
- 15:27 12 03 12 CANAL ANTIGUA 8 45 Primera entrevista, El retorno de Sandra Torres dirígete de la UNE 2by sibguatemala155 views
- 10:13 Book TV: Jennifer Harbury "Truth, Torture, and the American Way"by BookTV751 views
- 30:41 BOXEO 2012 EN CHIVARRETO GUATEMALAby Pioquinto Lopez305,043 views
- 2:36 Otto Perez Molinaby heraclemaya3,775 views
- 25:54 SANDRA - PORQUE? Sandra Torres en Guatemalaby kasparblau783727 views
- 5:22 Guatemala : Lorena Cabnal sobre los derechos humanos de mujeres indigenas (5min21 SP)by ProtectionInternatnl784 views
- 29:28 25-02-13 CNN ENTREVISTA A VICEPRESIDENTA ROXANA BALDETTIby Opinionpublicagt846 views
- 12:22 The Emperor Has No Clothes: Otto Perez Molina in Guatemalaby GHRC/USA908 views
- 30:05 Entrevista Licda. Sandra Torres - Vea Canal parte 1by Unidad Nacional de la Esperanza374 views
- 7:59 Resumen de la Entrevista a Otto Pérez Molinaby latinconn11,127 views
- Loading more suggestions...