euronews U talk : Splitting Europe into a two-speed EU
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 14, 2012
http://www.euronews.com/ Jean-Phillippe of Lyon asked: "Would it be possible to have a Europe split into two, a two-speed Europe? And what would the uses and benefits be for the rich countries and the poor ones?"
"In the 27 nation European Union there are already different speeds, because certain countries take part in certain projects, certain public policies, and others don't," explained Pascal Delwit, Professor of Political Science at the Free University of Brussels.
"I'll take two examples: the eurozone does not concern all the EU member states, but specifically the EU countries that have taken the euro as the common currency.
"Another example is the Schengen Agreement, that affects a certain number of countries with the free circulation of people among those countries, but not all are in the Schengen zone.
"So already, there are Europes of differing speeds. Whether we could split the EU of 27 nations into two European Unions - one rich EU and one poor - is highly improbable. Politically it would be extremely difficult to defend, and doubtless very few states would agree to go down that route.
"Then also, we mustn't forget that those considered as rich or poor states at any one moment could change in time. Today for example, Spain and Ireland are thought of as countries in difficulty, even great difficulty - financially, economically and socially. But look back four or five years and they were presented almost as model states. Ireland was talked about in extremely glowing terms, so in material terms things can sometimes change.
"So I'd say that at first glance there's very little chance that the EU is heading for a split in two between rich and poor countries."
If you would also like to ask a question on U-talk, click on the button below.
Find us on:
Next in euronews U talk: Season 1
- 9:31 euronews reporter - The Greek debt that became Cyprus' Trojan Horseby euronews (in English)5,464 views
- 10:01 euronews the network - Turkey's EU membership ambitionsby euronews (in English)5,165 views
- 7:59 euronews interview - Russia's economy set for growth?by euronews (in English)2,654 views
- 47:44 'The Prize for Peace' 2012 - CNN interview with 3 EU leadersby Arno Mong Daastoel660 views
- 9:48 How Germany Became Europe's Richest Countryby PBS NewsHour309,535 views
- 1:37:12 Stephano vs. ForGG - Semi Finals - WCS Europe Premier Leagueby ESL TV47,891 views
- 33:35 Nick-Westcott on rethinking EU-African Relationsby IIEA1262 views
- 1:24:34 Roma - Presidenza italiana Unione europea, audizione Bagnai (04.12.13)by Pupia - News e Politica1,548 views
- 24:15 'Dollar valueless, about to crash' - World Bank whistleblowerby RT367,125 views
- 5:28 Only 3 Countries Left Without a Rothschild Central Bankby syyenergy786,348 views
- 19:01 WORLD BANKER MAKES STUNNING CONFESSIONby PremierLegend1,700,727 views
- 10:52 Central Banking Explained (satan's monetary control) Part 1 of 2by MrLovethyneighbor20,727 views
- 7:27 End Rothschild Central Banking System : The Only Way to Stop Hyperinflationby WikiIntelNews7,549 views
- 7:37 Putin: EU pressuring & blackmailing Ukraine over trade deal suspensionby RT22,325 views
- 4:05 CNBC admits We're all SLAVES to CENTRAL BANKERSby TNSONSOFLIBERTY96,749 views
- 5:51 Hedging, reference prices and physical delivery at the London Metal Exchange (LME)by lmelimited6,640 views
- 3:20 Trading on the LMEby lmelimited1,241 views
- 15:30 Dysfunction in London Metals Exchange warehousesby Platts McGraw Hill118 views
- 25:37 The International Banking Cartel (I)by PressTVGlobalNews60,511 views