Happy 99th Birthday, Milton Friedman! A tribute to the late, great economist
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 28, 2011
There's no way to appreciate fully the contributions of Nobel Prize-winning economist Milton Friedman (1912-2006), who would have turned 99 years old this weekend, to the growth of libertarian ideas and a free society.
This is the man, after all, who introduced the concept of school vouchers, documented the role of government monopolies on money in creating inflation, provided the intellectual arguments that ended the military draft in America, co-founded the Mont Pelerin Society, and so much more. In popular books such as Capitalism and Freedom and Free to Choose, written with his wife and longtime collaborator Rose, he masterfully drew a through-line between economic freedom and political and cultural freedom.
Yet his ultimate contribution to freedom and liberty is found less in any of the specific argument he made and more in the ways he made them. Friedman provided an all-too-rare example of a public intellectual who was scrupulously honest, forthright, and fair in every debate he entered. Whether he was duking it out with fellow Nobel Prize winners and other high-profile economists or making the case for the morality of capitalism with TV hosts such as Phil Donahue and angry students, he always argued in good faith, admitted when he was wrong, and enlarged the circle of debate.
Long after some of his technical points and social insights have been superseded, that commitment to relentless inquiry and search for truth wherever it takes us will survive.
Milton Friedman gave us something much better than revealed truth: He showed us the process by which we might continue to indefinitely learn about our world and the human condition. In this sense, the Friedman Century is far from over; indeed, it's just getting started.
Written and narrated by Nick Gillespie. Produced and edited by Jim Epstein, with help from Jack Gillespie.
About 2.30 minutes.
For Reason's coverage of and interviews with Milton Friedman over the years, go here now.
Go to http://reason.tv for downloadable versions, and subscribe to Reason.tv's YouTube channel to receive automatic updates when new material goes live.
Standard YouTube License
- 4:23 When Cheese Fails Season 3 Episode 1by LifesAGlitchTV Featured 259,442
- 52:00 George Soros Lecture Series: General Theory of Reflexivityby Open Society Foundations31,187 views
- 46:28 Milton Friedman on Donahue #2by The Friedman Foundation for Educational Choice103,581 views
- 25:34 TAKE IT TO THE LIMITS: Milton Friedman on Libertarianismby HooverInstitution43,770 views
- 36:42 Thomas Sowell -- Dismantling Americaby HooverInstitution89,291 views
- 9:03 Milton Friedman - Health Care in a Free Marketby LibertyPen129,146 views
- 29 videos Play all Milton Friedmanby betalata
- 9:38 Milton Friedman - Socialized Medicineby LibertyPen250,550 views
- 6:57 Milton Friedman Puts A Young Michael Moore In His Placeby pplholdthepower29,270 views
- 16:51 Milton Friedman debates a protectionistby StatelessLiberty74,213 views
- 9:56 Milton Friedman - The Robin Hood Mythby LibertyPen208,247 views
- 10:00 Milton Friedman - The Robber Baron Mythby LibertyPen85,509 views
- 9:56 Milton Friedman - The Social Security Mythby LibertyPen137,828 views
- 6:39 Milton Friedman - Socialism is Forceby LibertyPen151,137 views
- 4:37 Milton Friedman - Freedom Not to Actby LibertyPen22,778 views
- 9:18 Milton Friedman - The Great Depression Mythby LibertyPen222,736 views
- 38:27 Thomas Sowell discusses his newest book, Intellectuals and Raceby HooverInstitution44,562 views
- 33:32 Thomas Sowell -- Basic Economicsby HooverInstitution116,832 views
- 8:21 Milton Friedman - Middle Class Welfareby LibertyPen30,949 views
- 5:07 Milton Friedman - Our Limited Resourcesby LibertyPen23,673 views