Happy 99th Birthday, Milton Friedman! A tribute to the late, great economist
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 28, 2011
There's no way to appreciate fully the contributions of Nobel Prize-winning economist Milton Friedman (1912-2006), who would have turned 99 years old this weekend, to the growth of libertarian ideas and a free society.
This is the man, after all, who introduced the concept of school vouchers, documented the role of government monopolies on money in creating inflation, provided the intellectual arguments that ended the military draft in America, co-founded the Mont Pelerin Society, and so much more. In popular books such as Capitalism and Freedom and Free to Choose, written with his wife and longtime collaborator Rose, he masterfully drew a through-line between economic freedom and political and cultural freedom.
Yet his ultimate contribution to freedom and liberty is found less in any of the specific argument he made and more in the ways he made them. Friedman provided an all-too-rare example of a public intellectual who was scrupulously honest, forthright, and fair in every debate he entered. Whether he was duking it out with fellow Nobel Prize winners and other high-profile economists or making the case for the morality of capitalism with TV hosts such as Phil Donahue and angry students, he always argued in good faith, admitted when he was wrong, and enlarged the circle of debate.
Long after some of his technical points and social insights have been superseded, that commitment to relentless inquiry and search for truth wherever it takes us will survive.
Milton Friedman gave us something much better than revealed truth: He showed us the process by which we might continue to indefinitely learn about our world and the human condition. In this sense, the Friedman Century is far from over; indeed, it's just getting started.
Written and narrated by Nick Gillespie. Produced and edited by Jim Epstein, with help from Jack Gillespie.
About 2.30 minutes.
For Reason's coverage of and interviews with Milton Friedman over the years, go here now.
Go to http://reason.tv for downloadable versions, and subscribe to Reason.tv's YouTube channel to receive automatic updates when new material goes live.
Standard YouTube License
- 7:12 Milton Friedman Crushes Man's 3 Questions like Dixie Cupsby FreeToChooseNetworkFeatured 153,705
- 9:03 Milton Friedman - Health Care in a Free Marketby LibertyPen 95,359 views
- 4:22 Milton Friedman - Redistribution of Wealthby LibertyPen 269,332 views
- 10:00 Milton Friedman - The Robber Baron Mythby LibertyPen 77,832 views
- 3:49 Milton Friedman & Thomas Sowell vs. A Welfare Administratorby Common Sense Capitalism 64,084 views
- 142 videos Play all Milton Friedmanby FletchforFreedom
- 8:14 Milton Friedman - Collectivismby LibertyPen 66,837 views
- 8:21 Milton Friedman - Middle Class Welfareby LibertyPen 29,198 views
- 6:39 Milton Friedman - Socialism is Forceby LibertyPen 123,445 views
- 5:07 Milton Friedman - Our Limited Resourcesby LibertyPen 19,347 views
- 9:18 Frances Fox Piven vs. Milton Friedman, Thomas Sowellby FreeToChooseNetwork 100,896 views
- 0:31 Milton Friedman interrupted by left-wing activist at the Nobel prize ceremonyby mathrioks kanal 49,359 views
- 57:48 Free to Choose Part 5: Created Equal Featuring Milton Friedmanby Common Sense Capitalism 50,838 views
- 5:28 Milton Friedman - Illegal Immigration - PT 1by LibertyPen 87,038 views
- 57:42 Free to Choose Part 4: From Cradle to Grave Featuring Milton Friedmanby Common Sense Capitalism 43,185 views
- 5:53 John Stossel & Milton Friedman - NewWaveSlave.comby TheNewWaveSlave 41,714 views
- 5:19 Do Gooders Who Do Harmby WideWorldOfWisdom 59,287 views
- 4:37 Milton Friedman - Freedom Not to Actby LibertyPen 20,788 views
- 4:34 Milton Friedman - The Draft - From Compulsory to Voluntaryby LibertyPen 13,796 views
- 5:58 Milton Friedman on Libertarianism (Part 4 of 4)by RCO64 63,910 views
- 2:42 Power of the Market - The Pencilby LibertyPen 194,759 views
- Loading more suggestions...