News Release WEB-CERN OPENLAB.
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 9, 2012
Video News Release WEB: CERN OPENLAB
New phase for Openlab 00 :00 -00 :11 : titres 00 :12 -00 : 38 : logo Openlab + footage CERN computing centre 00 :39- 01 :38 : interview of Bob Jones Head of CERN openlab 01 :39 -- 01 :55 : footage computing centre 01 :56- 03 :09 : interview of Sverre Jarp , CERN openlab Chief Technology Officer 03 :10-04 :02 : footage technical rack computing centre 04 :03- 04 :56 : second interview of Sverre Jarp about éducation 04 :57- 05 :58 : interview of Andrzej Nowak staff researcher of CERN openlab 05 :59- END : others footage of computing center
Produced by: CERN Video productions
Director: CERN Video productions
9:00 min. / 15 March 2012 / © 2012 CERN
Geneva, 9 May 2012. The fourth phase of CERN openlab was officially launched during a meeting of its board of sponsors taking place at CERN1 on 8 and 9 May. CERN openlab is a unique public-private partnership between CERN and leading information technology companies HP, Intel, Oracle, Siemens, with contribution from Huawei for this new phase. Its mission is to accelerate the development of cutting-edge solutions to be used by the worldwide community working on LHC data.
The Large Hadron Collider (LHC), the world's largest particle accelerator, generates hundreds of millions of particle collisions each second. To record, store and analyse these vast amounts of collisions present a massive data challenge: the LHC produces roughly 20 million Gigabytes of data each year.
CERN openlab was created more than 10 years ago, to develop innovative, advanced IT systems required to cope with the unprecedented computing challenges of the LHC. It brings together the efforts of science and industry, working at the cutting-edge of research to ever expand technological boundaries. This collaborative framework also offers a neutral ground for companies to collaborate on common projects and develop synergies.
The third phase of CERN openlab was officially closed during the meeting of partners. The assembly reviewed key achievements of the projects carried out, and agreed on their positive impact on the development of the Grid and computing services, which underpin the LHC. The work was organized into four competence centres: Automation and Controls with Siemens, Database with Oracle, Networking with HP, and Platform with Intel.
During the meeting, Rolf Heuer, CERN Director General, stated that "The synergy that CERN openlab creates with leading IT companies is highly fruitful and I therefore thank all CERN openlab partners and contributors for their continued support. During the next three years, CERN is preparing the LHC for operating at higher energy and luminosity. This fourth phase will be instrumental in addressing the increased computing challenges in an innovative way."
The fourth phase will address new topics crucial to the CERN scientific programme, such as cloud computing, business analytics, the next generation of hardware, and security for the myriads of network devices. The industry investment over the three years of the fourth phase represents more than eight million Swiss Francs...
Standard YouTube License
- 8:00 What Now For The Higgs Boson?by Veritasium Featured 280,726
- 58:07 Sean Carroll - The Particle at the End of the Universeby The Royal Institution107,762 views
- 45:56 [National Geographic 2013] Hadron Collider - MegaStructures - Big Bang Machineby Hoang Nguyen7,613 views
- 1:15:08 Demystifying the Higgs Boson with Leonard Susskindby StanfordUniversity173,959 views
- 51:29 Professor Brian Cox Lecture on the universeby bigrich384971,982 views
- 20:09 The significance of the Higgs Boson discovery - Dr. John Ellis - BOLDtalks 2013by BOLDtalks46,140 views
- 5:46 5 Experiments that Could have Destroyed the Worldby Dark5429,907 views
- 58:28 Prof. Brian Cox - A Night with the Stars BBC Full Lectureby AtheistMeme78,479 views
- 55:54 CERN CATEDRALES DE LA CIENCIAby New Atlantis Full Documentaries29,702 views
- 23:43 Higgs boson found, now what? (Inside Story - 5th July 2012) [HD]by TheNovadex80,443 views
- 44:22 Die Teilchenjäger der Alltag in CERN [Doku deutsch]by Doku24Channel3,973 views
- 1:40 The CERN Computer Centreby portalhispano1905 views
- 2:09:34 CERN Higgs Boson Discovery Seminar/Lectureby Muon Ray67,509 views
- 6:16 What is CERN Large Hadron Collider LHC ? End of the World?by greytubedotcom300,856 views
- 45:56 Hadron Collider - Mega Structures - Big Bang Machineby Waldo Pulanco126,676 views
- 9:53 The Standard Modelby DrPhysicsA13,070 views
- 1:38:28 Lecture 2 | New Revolutions in Particle Physics: Standard Modelby StanfordUniversity31,740 views
- 53:36 The Standard Model: Fundamental Forces and the Origin of Massby case12,050 views
- 27:44 Física de partículas - Más allá del átomo CERN LHC John Ellis Bosón de Higgsby Moisés López Caeiro100,551 views
- 1:30:08 [Jim meets....] Professor Brian Cox - University of Surreyby UniversityofSurrey233,492 views
- Loading more suggestions...