Tim Geithner to Paul Ryan: "We don't have a definitive solution... We just don't like yours"
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 16, 2012
Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner on the Obama Administration's definition of leadership.
Congressman Paul Ryan: Let's show Slide 8. I know you didn't necessarily want to see this chart. The red is the status quo, that's the baseline we're on.
Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner: You could have taken it to 3,000 or 4,000...
Congressman Paul Ryan: Yeah, right. We cut it off at the end of the century because the economy, according to the CBO, shuts down in 2027 on this path.
Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner: I like this chart; I looked at this chart yesterday. You're talking about I think more than half a century. But if you look at the gap between us—
Congressman Paul Ryan: I understand the gap.
Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner: —between 10 and 20, it's a pretty small gap. In that gap though—that 10 to 20 gap, which is all we're debating today—is a gap where you're achieving that slightly diminished path.
Congressman Paul Ryan: Here's the point, if you'll allow me. This is your time, so we'll just take a long time. Here's the point. Leaders are supposed to fix problems. We have a $99.4 trillion unfunded liability. Our government is making promises to Americans that it has no way of accounting for. And so you're saying yeah, we're stabilizing it but we're not fixing it in the long run. That means we're just going to keep lying to people. We're going to keep all these empty promises going.
So what we're saying is, in order to avert a debt crisis—you're the Treasury Secretary, of all people—if we can't make good on our bonds in the future, who is going to invest in our country? We do not want to have a debt crisis. It comes down to confidence in trajectory. Do we have confidence that we're going to get our fiscal situation under control and prevent the debt from getting to these catastrophic levels?
If we go back to the preceding chart, Chart 13, you're showing that you have no plan to get this debt under control. You're saying we'll stabilize it but then it's going to shoot back up. So my argument is, that's Europe. That is bringing is toward a European debt crisis because we're showing the world, the credit market's future seniors—people who are organizing their lives around the promises that are being made to them today—that we don't have a plan to make good on this.
Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner: Mr. Chairman, as I said, we're not disagreeing in that sense. I made it absolutely clear that what our budget does is get our deficit down to a sustainable path over the budget window.
Congressman Paul Ryan: And then it takes off.
Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner: Let's ask ourselves why they take off again. Why do they do that?
Congressman Paul Ryan: Because we have 10,000 people retiring everyday and healthcare costs going up.
Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner: That's right. We have millions of Americans retiring everyday and that will drive substantial growth rates for healthcare costs. We're not becoming before you to say we have a definitive solution to our long-term problem. What we do know is that we don't like yours.
Standard YouTube License
- 9:44 Alex Jones Shirtless Rant Against TYTby The Young Turks Featured 275,713
- 3:15 The Path to Prosperity (Episode 1): America's two futures, visualizedby HouseBudgetCommittee321,680 views
- 2:54 Tim Geithner to Paul Ryan: "We don't have a definitive solution... We just don't like yours"by HouseBudgetCommittee42,046 views
- 4:21 Paul Ryan: Entrepreneurial Capitalism vs Crony Capitalismby HouseBudgetCommittee47,573 views
- 4:09 Path to Prosperity (Episode 3): 3 Steps to Pro-Growth Tax Reform -- VISUALIZEDby HouseBudgetCommittee92,576 views
- 7:53 Paul Ryan teaching Economics to Chris Matthews.flvby panhandlepatriots123,280 views
- 6:08 Johnny Doe says Tim Geithner is a slimy, lying, scum sucking piece of corrupt trash!by johnnydoesworld14,877 views
- 17:20 Paul Ryan VP Full Acceptance Speech, "If you have a small Business, You Did Build That!"by MichaelSavage4Prez36,733 views
- 5:24 Ron Paul Schools Tiny Tim Geithner at Financial Hearing-Better Audioby GuerrillaNewsChannel79,085 views
- 27:48 Paul Ryan's CPAC 2012 Keynote Addressby prosperityaction42,783 views
- 14:34 Wasserman-Schultz Exposed By CNN's Don Lemon for Being a Giant Liarby Conservative1001BG49,066 views
- 3:04 WH Press Sec Gets Upset Because He Can't Answer Q About Dems Not Passing Budgetby GOPICYMI94,435 views
- 5:13 US Debt Crisis - Perfectly Explainedby Akash Vedi134,576 views
- 2:35:49 Congress Questions Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner On The Stability Of The U.S. Economyby MOXNEWSd0tC0M2,381 views
- 2:13 Ouch! Watch Rep. Paul Ryan Spank Former Obama Advisor Austan Goolsbeeby jim hoft195,416 views
- 2:53 Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) To Obama: "You're Not Listening" To The People!by Greg Hengler133,723 views
- 5:27 Andrea Mitchell Gets Testy with Debbie Wasserman Schultz over Florida Jewish Supportby sktmax196154,063 views
- 2:23 Rep. Paul Ryan Slams liberal msnbc- Lets Have An Honest Debate About Healthcare Reformby AlreadyKnownAsX290,960 views
- 6:00 Elizabeth Warren : Classic Takedown of Geithner Over TARP Bailout (from 2009) - MUST SEE !!!by Marie Marr29,829 views
- 6:48 Martha MaCallum OWNS Debbie Wasserman Schultzby Florida Cracka130,960 views
- Loading more suggestions...