Geisler's Christmas Carol
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 16, 2011
If you are not familiar with the present controversy involving Mike Licona and Norman Geisler, it is one well worth being acquainted with. The results could well affect the health of the church for many years to come. You can read all the details on postings I have made on my blog; the subject entry link is
Entries will be in reverse chronological order. In this description we will provide only a summary "information key" corresponding with the film.
:35 Geisler had written Licona privately asking for answers on these issues. Licona had informed him that with various commitments -- debate preparations, and a vacation among them -- he would not respond quickly. Geisler nevertheless took it upon himself to post an "open letter" concerning the matter before Licona could respond.
1:31 While I do disagree with Licona's reading of Matthew 27, his reasoning in terms of inerrancy is sound. Please see the Ticker postings for details.
1:58 Licona offered an invitation to Geisler to attend a conference to discuss these issues. Geisler declined, under the premise that it was in essence a case of foxes guarding the henhouse.
2:13 Geisler has repeatedly deleted challenges to his arguments (including mine) from his Facebook page.
2:40 Despite his tactics, Geisler has professed to be acting in brotherly love.
2:57 Because of Geisler, Licona -- one of today's leading apologists and defenders of the faith -- was "disinvited" from a conference in New Orleans, as well as other functions.
3:30 In 1983, Geisler similarly oppressed Robert Gundry for his argument than Matthew intended for his Gospel to be understood as midrash -- a sort of Jewish commentary on other Scriptures -- rather than literal history. While we also do not agree with this view, if Matthew did intend his Gospel to be understood this way, then Gundry is not arguing against inerrancy.
That said, though Geisler has made much of alleged comparisons between that situation and this one, there were more than 1,600 present at that meeting, and the final vote was 116 to 41 in favor of Gundry being ousted, which is hardly overwhelming (less than 10% of the voting bloc). It suggests that the overwhelming majority either didn't care or didn't know what to think. It should also be noted that Geisler himself left ETS some years later under the premise that it was headed in the wrong direction.
I should also confess to an error: I used a recent picture of Robert Gundry and assumed that while he is bald now, he must not have been in 1983. I found out too late that he was bald even back then. I hope he doesn't mind the fresh mop.
4:51 Those scholars who have supported Licona include (pictured left to right, bottom row): Daniel Wallace, Edwin Yamauchi (member of the inerrancy committee), Gary Habermas, and Paul Copan. Standing at right is J. P. Moreland (also on the committee). Standing at left are Nick and Allie Peters, the (modified) voices of the Ghosts of Inerrancy Future and Past, respectively, and also Licona's son in law and daughter.
5:18 Supporting Geisler have been (left to right) Al Mohler, and two bloggers, pastor Tim Rogers, and Ed Dingess.
6:30 Some real concerns indeed, if Geisler takes the day (see my "high stakes" post).
Standard YouTube License
- 1:33:08 Ergun Caner v. James White on Calvinism (Radio Free Geneva)by LaneChFeatured 117,196
- 53:43 Pastor David Wilkerson - Eating & Drinking With The Drunkenby OldPathPreachingTV 11,134 views
- 18:49 Three Questions for Dr. Norman Geislerby DrOakley1689 21,710 views
- 1:41 Dan Wallace on the Geisler Controversy.MP4by Mike Licona 4,412 views
- 10 videos Play all The Norman Geisler vs Mike Licona Controversyby joehardysr
- 2:26:24 Sam Shamoun vs Shabir Ally (The Unedited Version)by Nazam44 97,039 views
- 9:04 A Girl Asks Frank Turek If She's Going to Hellby dmanpic 237,572 views
- 33:23 Ehrman-Licona Debate: Can Historians Prove Jesus Rose From The Dead Part 1by SEvangelicalSeminary 31,698 views
- 11:15 Geisler 2: The Rise of the Ehrmanatorby tektontv 1,438 views
- 27:33 Calvinism in a Nutshell (John MacArthur)by needanewstartcom 39,004 views
- 10:36 Debate: Christianity vs Secular Humanism (1 of 14)by 1001Phoenix 18,150 views
- 7:29 Is the Soul Immortal? Alvin Plantingaby 1GodOnlyOne 5,629 views
- 1:09:29 What a Man is Not - Biblical Manhood Part 1 - Paul Washerby illbehonest 71,324 views
- 5:26 Dr. William Lane Craig humiliates Dr. John Shookby MrZazomy 101,079 views
- 7:06 Ravi Zacharias Q & A: The Bible's Reliability and Various Interpertationsby 98nafets 27,827 views
- 3:22 61. Mike Licona - Contradictions in Bible?by oneminuteapologist 9,302 views
- 7:03 CALVINISM- 'Why I Am Not A 5 Point Calvinist' - By Dr. Norman Geisler (1 OF 9)by AMomentOfTruth123 66,806 views
- 2:28 Norman Geisler's Denial of Inerrancy v2by tektontv 837 views
- 4:09 Michael Savage on Islamby michaelsavageisahero 117,674 views
- 1:43 Wheel of Stupid Biblical Marriage Series 4 (Exodus 21:4)by tektontv 825 views
- 58:16 3AM (1) - Ten Facts About Revelation 14 - Stephen Bohrby Nobby1844 160 views
- Loading more suggestions...