BioWare Presents: The State of the Game Industry
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 6, 2011
the rest of the video will be launch day dlc
We were nearing the end of active work on design content for Dragon Age... there was still a lot more bug fixing/polishing/ and fill-content generation ahead but the core plot/writing and level design was finished. My work was rapidly shifting into that of reviewing what the team had put together.
Discussion on Dragon Age 2 began around this time and looking ahead I knew that I wasn't going to be satisfied with what Dragon Age 2 would be. Party control/tactical combat are huge factors in my enjoyment of a role-playing game as is adopting the role of the hero (i.e., customizing my character). I was fairly certain Dragon Age would transition towards more of a Mass Effect experience, which while enjoyable is not the type of role-playing game I play. Could I be the lead designer on such a title? Certainly... though if I were going to work on a game adopting a set-in-stone protagonist I'd rather work on something lighter, like a shooter.
Through a series of circumstances it was decided that with my not wanting to participate on Dragon Age 2 it was time to transition in a new lead to finish the Dragon Age console versions and ramp up for Dragon Age 2. I moved out of an active lead role though I stayed on for several months performing quality assurance and helping with the transition. I completed the game several times during this period and racked up the second or third highest bug totals... so, still busy but doing something quite different.
After this was over and the content locked down I took a sabbatical. When I returned to work I was hoping that there would be a new project lined up for me.
There wasn't, not really. I did some high level design for a potential new project but a few months later I realized that, given cutbacks and other things that it really seemed unlikely that the project I had been 'assigned' to was ever going to materialize. I can't/won't go into any other details other than to point to an old entry I made about this and reiterate: "I'm not the same person I was when I started, and BioWare isn't the same company. "
So I quit, giving a couple months notice to finish up my obligations on the new/hypothetical project and then in early September 2009 I left BioWare.
- Brent Knowles
Lead Designer for Dragon Age: Origins
Standard YouTube License
- 3:59:59 Four Hours of BioWare Awesome Buttonby LeoNatan2561,024 views
- 7:42 So You Want to Work in the Video Game Industryby WilliamGibbon403,441 views
- 29:43 Dragon Age: Warden's Fallby Riot Films268,928 views
- 57:28 BioWare discusses Mass Effect 3 endings, DLC, and Tali's faceby gamespot202,118 views
- 11:44 George R.R. Martin Talks with Peter Orullian - Part 2 of 2by peterorullian14,006 views
- 24:12 Let's Play Dragon Age 2: Part 1 - We've gone 15 yards and we need a restby YOGSCAST Lewis & Simon295,156 views
- 5:24 StarCraft in 5 Minutesby IGN720,126 views
- 42:03 Top Ten Moments in Bioware Gamesby palpatine117182,317 views
- 1:13:32 Dragon Age II Full Soundtrackby Agent Sambora40,430 views
- 5:26 Hawke Meets King Alistair with Warden Queen - Dragon Age 2by moarinternets404,638 views
- 1:02:56 Mass Effect Retrospective Panel - PAX 2013by biowaremasseffect39,218 views
- 34:05 Let's Play Dragon Age 2 - Part 125: Where's My Ending?by Toegoff31,227 views
- 1:53 Video Game Industry : How to Become a Game Developerby eHow112,984 views
- 25:39 Game Scoop! - Is the Video Game Industry in Crisis?by IGN42,613 views
- 6:42 Faux-mo: A Dragon Age 2 Parodyby BellyDrumProductions42,711 views
- 4:39 Dragon Age 2 developers are excitedby joshuascott1218,897 views
- 1:46 [HD] Dragon Age 2 Infinite XP/Money Glitchby LJRivers58,093 views
- 5:22 Dragon Age 2 The Story Developer Diary [HD]by Machinima74,536 views
- 10:34 How to Get a Job in Video Games - Gaming Jobs - Tips from the Game Industryby outsidexbox9,097 views
- 20:40 Numbers Don't Lie: Bioware's Fan Majority Still Upsetby CleverNoobs69,138 views
- Loading more suggestions...