Pokemon Wedlocke Challenge Rules (Nuzlocke Variant)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Dec 26, 2012
Looking for a challenging, fun new way to play Pokemon? Are Nuzlocke challenges just not doing it for you? Well, try out Marriland's Nuzlocke variant: the WEDLOCKE CHALLENGE! This video explains all of the rules you'll need to know. Q&A about the challenge will be added to the description or maybe a topic on the Marriland Forums if it gets big enough, so feel free to ask if you have any questions about stuff.
RULES OF THE CHALLENGE
RULE #1: FAINTED POKEMON ARE DEAD :(
When a Pokemon faints, it must be released forever (or boxed permanently). It is considered to be dead.
RULE #2: ONLY CATCH THE 1ST ELIGIBLE POKEMON IN AN AREA
You can catch or obtain only the first eligible obtainable Pokemon you encounter in any route or area, with exceptions being made based on the Pokemon's gender. Fail to catch it and you get nothing for the area.
• Genderless Pokemon cannot be caught. Ever.
• If you have 1, 3, or 5 Pokemon in your party, you ignore any Pokemon encounters whose gender you have an uneven number of, e.g. if you have just one male Pokemon and two female Pokemon, you cannot catch any more female Pokemon until the count is even again. If you have an even number of each gender, this does not apply.
• "Dupes Clause" is recommended, to add to the uniqueness of each Pokemon. This means you do not count any encounter against any Pokemon whose species you have already caught, which is usually determined by the Poke Ball symbol by their HP bar.
RULE #3: ALL POKEMON MUST BE NICKNAMED
This is to increase the bond between you and your Pokemon. They're not just randoms; they're your friends. Treat them accordingly.
RULE #4: YOUR POKEMON ARE "PARTNERED" WITH EACH OTHER AND FIGHT IN PAIRS
• Only one male and one female can form a pair, and once they do, it lasts until one dies or is released.
• Each Pokemon on your team can battle only alongside its partner, if it has one. Switching Pokemon out in battle is allowed, but ONLY for the Pokemon's partner.
• If a Pokemon dies in battle, its partner must avenge the fallen Pokemon or die along with them; switching to any other Pokemon is forbidden, regardless of circumstance. (In the case of Double or Triple Battles, you may have to make exceptions. Do what feels right.)
• If a Pokemon's partner dies, it can gain a new one that doesn't already have a partner (either from a PC box or a wild Pokemon).
RULE #5: YOU CANNOT DEPOSIT POKEMON TO YOUR PC
• You must release Pokemon or have them die in battle if you want to withdraw anything in your PC.
• You can freely release your Pokemon (up to you if it counts as a "death" or not), but you will probably feel like a jerk for doing it.
• If you absolutely require HM moves to get through the game, you may temporarily break this rule and deposit a pair of Pokemon in the PC for one or two HM Pokemon; however, they cannot fight or do anything other than use HM moves outside of battle, and should be removed as soon as one of your main Pokemon can use the required HM move.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU GET ROAR'D/WHIRLWIND'D/ETC.?
A: You continue the fight using the new pair for all intents and purposes.
Q: WHAT HAPPENS IN A DOUBLE BATTLE IF ONE OF YOUR POKEMON DIES?
A: Still deciding for sure. Continuing the fight in a mixed battle would be permissible. Double Battles aren't overly common anyway.
Q: WHY CAN THIS NOT BE A CHALLENGE FOR GAY/LESBIAN POKEMON?
A: It's just due to how gender plays a role in the mechanics. This challenge is gender-based. It plays a role in how it works. By having it a part of the normal rules, it becomes extremely complicated to explain all of the exceptions. Instead, it is a variant.
Q: WHAT IS THE GAY/LESBIAN WEDLOCKE VARIANT?
A: If you play catching ONLY one gender, then play it with the whole pairing rules, play it with gender clause except IGNORING any opposite-gender Pokemon, but then USE POKEMON ONLY IN THE ORDER YOU CATCH THEM IN. If you catch Pokemon in your PC, you must pair them up as replacements in the order they are in your PC, so you are not able to choose who you are replacing as much. Why? Because that makes the challenge WAY easier and it goes against the restricting nature of the Wedlocke challenge.
Want to watch Marriland's HEARTGOLD WEDLOCKE? Here's the playlist link:
I'll be accepting video responses to fan Wedlocke challenges. Just make sure to leave only the first episode of your Wedlocke challenge as a video response to this video to have it included!
You can talk about the Wedlocke challenge over on the Marriland Forums as well:
Standard YouTube License
Next in Marriland's Pokemon HeartGold Wedlocke
- 31:56 Pokemon HeartGold Wedlocke, Part 64: Redemption! [vs. Red]by Marriland100,741 views
- 39:36 Pokemon HeartGold Wedlocke, Part 44: Swinging By Saffron City!by Marriland52,826 views
- 30:34 Pokemon Emerald Nuzlocke, Part 55: Do or Die! The Final Battle!by Marriland171,523 views
- 44:31 Pokemon HeartGold Wedlocke, Part 23: Cliffhanger!by Marriland55,748 views
- 37:06 Pokémon Platinum Nuzlocke, Part 01: It's Quiet Time!by Marriland139,106 views
- 1:09:28 Pokemon HeartGold Wedlocke, Part 63: Story's End!by Marriland169,638 views
- 48 videos Play all Pokemon Heart Gold Nuzlocke Challengeby Haydunn
- 46:23 Pokemon HeartGold Wedlocke, Part 09: I Spy With My Ilex!by Marriland55,694 views
- 38:16 Pokemon HeartGold Wedlocke, Part 02: In Which We Fight Metapod!by Marriland107,414 views
- 53:00 Pokemon HeartGold Wedlocke, Part 10: Watering Cans are Dangerous!by Marriland57,054 views
- Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver 134,137 videos1K
- 10:47 Pokemon White 2, Part 136: N Rematch (Winter)by Marriland119,436 views
- 49:46 Pokemon HeartGold Wedlocke, Part 13: Beauties and the Beasts!by Marriland53,322 views
- 39:24 Pokemon HeartGold Wedlocke, Part 18: Have Eusine What I've Seen?!by Marriland52,162 views
- 32:59 Pokemon HeartGold Wedlocke, Part 54: Cerulean Capers!by Marriland55,254 views
- 1:37 A Petty Nuzlocke Challenge- The Day the Music Diedby Suramen307,975 views
- 1:05:05 Pokemon HeartGold Wedlocke, Part 30: You Don't Even Clair!by Marriland80,682 views
- 33:04 Pokemon HeartGold Wedlocke, Part 55: Misty Didn't Miss Me!by Marriland56,502 views
- 18:14 Pokemon White 2, Part 12: Keldeo & Genesectby Marriland437,630 views